Big 10 looking to add another team, possibly Mizzou or Iowa St.

Sooner Quick

Reaction score
Another option that comes up when the Big Ten talks about expansion is one of the schools from the Big 12 North, usually Iowa State or Missouri. Both would be excellent choices, as they fit geographically and academically. Iowa State has a natural rival in Iowa, as well as Minnesota and Wisconsin, Missouri shares borders with Iowa and Illinois.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/307878-big-ten-looking-to-add-12th-team

If this happened who would you want or see the Big 12 adding? My first thought is TCU but who would goto the North, OU or OSU? I doubt Arkansas would leave the SEC but if so they could goto the North. I'm not sure of any teams north unless you go with Colorado St.

I think OSU would about have to go to the North.

memphis would be an interesting addition to the big 12.

From a business standpoint, losing Mizzou would be a huge blow...the Big XII should make some concessions to ensure that Mizzou stays right where they are. There isn't a logistical team which could fill the void of Mizzou....Houston's market is already dominated by UT, A&M and to some extent OU.

I expect Rutgers to move to the Big Ten if offered, then Memphis would take their spot in the Big East.

Last edited:
I agree with camp, though I could see Arkansas joining the Big 12....

Big 10 should go after Pittsburgh, Mizzou or Iowa St do not offer any big tv markets. No way they go after Iowa St, maybe Mizzou but I doubt either because its all about getting a school with a big tv market for future television contracts.

Wouldn't Mizzou bring the St. Louis market? That's a pretty big market...

Wouldn't Mizzou bring the St. Louis market? That's a pretty big market...

Mizzou, Rutgers and Pittsburgh are the primary targets. Mizzou would be a huge get, large state university with half of KC and almost all of St. Louis tuning in.

Rutgers is the darkhorse though, large northeast market in the NY/NJ area. Mizzou will listen to offers but the Big XII HAS to keep them, no way around it. Rutgers wants out of the Big East, they are getting clobbered in basketball and could use some extra revenue. Memphis would then jump at an offer from the Big East, which they would have a few years ago.

Move OSU to the Big 12 North, and add Houston or TCU to the Big 12 south.

I would be thrilled with this.

I'd feel kind of sad if one of the original big 8 teams left. Why can't some conference come a long and take away Texas Tech or Baylor...

Move OSU to the Big 12 North, and add Houston or TCU to the Big 12 south.

I would be thrilled with this.

Where is $$ if you do that? Give up St. Louis for Houston or DFW (which the Big XII already has. Memphis is a better in my opinion. Utah is better in my opinion. New Mexico is better in m opinion.

The Big 10 is really big as is, do they need to become really really big?

Where is $$ if you do that? Give up St. Louis for Houston or DFW (which the Big XII already has. Memphis is a better in my opinion. Utah is better in my opinion. New Mexico is better in m opinion.

Geographically Memphis, Utah, and New Mexico dont make any sense.

Geographically Memphis, Utah, and New Mexico dont make any sense.

It's not just about geography, it's about tv markets, fan support and licensing revenue. And going from Mizzou to Houston or TCU would be a massive drop off in all 3 of those areas.

It's not just about geography, it's about tv markets, fan support and licensing revenue. And going from Mizzou to Houston or TCU would be a massive drop off in all 3 of those areas.

Notre Dame to the Big 12 North?

Notre dame won't be joining a conference as long as their exclusive NBC contract exists and I don't see that going away anytime soon. Also, there is a clause in the BCS which guarantees notre dame a spot in a bcs bowl if they reach a certain level, I think it's 10 wins. There is no other such school in the country with such a guarantee. If they were to join a conference then that all goes away.

Notre dame won't be joining a conference as long as their exclusive NBC contract exists and I don't see that going away anytime soon. Also, there is a clause in the BCS which guarantees notre dame a spot in a bcs bowl if they reach a certain level, I think it's 10 wins. There is no other such school in the country with such a guarantee. If they were to join a conference then that all goes away.

I was kidding.

Back