Big 12 Preview >>> FoxSports.com

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/10137398/Big-12-preview:-Two-powerhouses-live-here

Big 12 preview: Two powerhouses live here
by Jeff Goodman

You can make a case that the top two teams in the country hail from the Big 12.

The Kansas duo of Cole Aldrich and Sherron Collins, along with Oklahoma's Willie Warren, Iowa State's Craig Brackins and Texas' Damion James, all opted to spurn the NBA for one more year of college.

That means the league will be strong — especially at the top, with Kansas and Texas arguably also the two deepest teams in the country.

Both have a legitimate chance to cut down the nets come April — and while there is a clear drop-off to the rest of the league, there are plenty of teams that could earn an NCAA tournament berth.

Blake Griffin hands the baton in Oklahoma to Willie Warren — a National Player of the Year candidate. And you can toss Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Missouri, Texas A&M and Baylor into a hat, because all have a chance to go to the Big Dance come March.

Top storylines

* Can Kansas win the national championship just two years after losing its top five scorers and being raided by the NBA? Cole Aldrich and Sherron Collins deciding to come back to school made Kansas the clear front-runner for the title.

* Will freshman J'Covan Brown or Florida-transfer Jai Lucas give Rick Barnes and Texas the point guard that the Longhorns need to compete for a national title? Look for one of them — likely Brown — to supplant Dogus Balbay as the starting floor leader in Austin.

* Blake Griffin is gone, so now it's the Willie Warren Show at Oklahoma. Warren has the ability, but can he become a quality leader? His leadership will determine the Sooners' success this season.

* Who will replace Byron Eaton in running the team at Oklahoma State? Three freshmen are in the mix, led by front-runner Ray Penn.

* Missouri lost its top two scorers in DeMarre Carroll and Leo Lyons. However, the Tigers may be deeper than they were last season — and it's all about the system for Mike Anderson, anyway.

* Kansas State adds a pair of freshmen from the D.C. area with Wally Judge and Rodney McGruder — and coach Frank Martin also will have one-time highly touted recruit Curtis Kelly eligible, after he sat last season following a transfer from UConn.

* Iowa State big man Craig Brackins is a big-time pro prospect, but will he have enough help to get him into the postseason so the country can see him on the big stage?

Predicted finish

1. Kansas
2. Texas
3. Oklahoma
4. Oklahoma State
5. Texas A&M
6. Kansas State
7. Missouri
8. Baylor
9. Iowa State
10. Nebraska
11. Texas Tech
12. Colorado

All-Conference

F — James Anderson, 6-6, 205, Jr., Oklahoma State
2008-09 Stats: 18.2 ppg, 5.7 rpg

F — Craig Brackins, 6-10, 230, Jr., Iowa State
2008-09 Stats: 20.2 ppg, 9.5 rpg

C — Cole Aldrich, 6-11, 242, Jr., Kansas
2008-09 Stats: 14.9 ppg, 11.1 rpg, 2.7 bpg

PG — Sherron Collins, 5-11 1/2, 210, Sr., Kansas
2008-09 Stats: 18.9 ppg, 5.0 apg, 2.9 rpg

SG — Willie Warren, 6-4, 205, Soph., Oklahoma
2008-09 Stats: 14.6 ppg, 3.1 apg, 2.2 rpg, 37% 3-pointers

Player of the Year — Willie Warren, 6-4, 205, SG, Soph., Oklahoma
Newcomer of the Year — Avery Bradley, 6-2, 180, G, Fr., Texas

Five frosh to watch

Avery Bradley, J'Covan Brown, Jordan Hamilton (Texas): I am grouping all three together because each has the ability to make a significant impact. Bradley is a terrific all-around player, Brown could emerge as the starting point guard, and Hamilton is a wing who can provide scoring.

Xavier Henry (Kansas): My guess is he won't put up huge numbers as a frosh with Cole Aldrich, Sherron Collins and Tyshawn Taylor solidified as the 1-2-3 punch, but Henry is extremely talented and will show flashes.

Tommy Mason-Griffin (Oklahoma): He'll be given the ball from day one, and will become one of the nation's top point guards — regardless of class.

Wally Judge (Kansas State): Frank Martin's top recruit has size and athleticism. He'll help a frontline that can use someone of his ability.

Ray Penn (Oklahoma State): The speedy point guard needs to acclimate himself quickly.

Five non-conference games to watch

1. North Carolina vs. Texas in Arlington at Cowboys Stadium, Dec. 19: A pair of elite teams — but both with point guard concerns — go at it in the Lone Star state.

2. Kansas at Tennessee, Jan. 10: The Jayhawks are the preseason numero uno and took care of the Vols in Lawrence last season.

3. Michigan State at Texas. Dec. 22: Both teams are legit Final Four contenders.

4. Texas at UConn, Jan. 23: They haven't picked the site just yet, but no matter where it is, it'll be a terrific matchup.

5. California at Kansas, Dec. 22: Mike Montgomery will take the Golden Bears to Lawrence in a nice test for what could be the Pac-10's top squad.

Predicted finish

1. Kansas
2. Texas
3. Oklahoma
4. Oklahoma State
5. Texas A&M
6. Kansas State
7. Missouri
8. Baylor
9. Iowa State
10. Nebraska
11. Texas Tech
12. Colorado

:mad:

I want to know why everyone has A&M in the upper half? Do they REALLY have a better team than Tech and Iowa State? They have no star player, they lost Carter, they lost Elonu, their starting guards cant shoot any better than Adasooner, Bryan Davis is an average role player. I just dont get the #5 ranking for them.

Iowa State has a star player (Brackins), good shooters (Staiger, Gilstrap, Vanderbeken, Brackins), a great secondary option with Gilstrap, a top 70 player out of high school next to Brackins now (Dendy).. I look at ISU and see more talent than I do at A&M...

Big,
I think A&M gets more respect because of Turgeon and his teams always play hard and play defense. They have good guards in Sloan and Roland and Bryan Davis is a good big.

I think the rankings are pretty good other than I expect KSU to finish higher. I also expect Baylor and Iowa St to finish ahead of Mizzou.

That is some great pub for TMG. Writer said he'll be one of the best PG's in the nation regardless of class.

A&M was the most inconsistent team in the Country last year, to the point of being bizarre. At times they looked like a top 5 team, and at times they looked like a division II team. I have no idea why. More often than not however, they looked well coached and very talented.

Reasonable people can disagree, but I think they have the 4th best talent in Big 12 this year, behind Kansas, Texas and OU. I don't care for A&M, but I do think they will be the suprise team in the Big 12 this year. Good talent, Good coaching and a good home court advantage.

I think the Big 12 overall will be strong this year. Kansas, Texas, Iowa State, A&M, Baylor, Colorado and Nebraska will be improved for sure. OU, OSU, Missouri and K State are hard to peg for me. I see tech as being about the same.

I know some will think I have lost my mind to unobjective homerism, but if Tiny is as good as I think he will be, I think OU will be better this year. If to my suprise, TMG is as good as some experts say and has the type of impact they think he will have, then we will better for sure.

Back