Bill Self gets feisty at a bar

I wish I saw Bill at a bar, I would take the wig and run.

Bill is a fun guy to hang out with. I am sure he goes out a lot. The rumors at TU is that he got to know a lot of the cheerleaders when he was head coach here.

Bill can go to the bar and still out recruit almost anybody.

So you're saying Bill took the meaning of "head" coach to a new level?

So you're saying Bill took the meaning of "head" coach to a new level?

That might depend if brett was talking about "got to know" in the Biblical sense or not.....:BillSelf

TU Blonde: "Oh Bill, comb it over like that! That looks good."

These stories are another of the big reasons I'm not a Bill Self fan.

Dude is married, and was married when he was at TU, and still acts like this.

I'm glad Capel and Kelvin were never seen running around college towns, hanging out with coeds drinking, while they should have been home playing father and husband.

I'm glad Capel and Kelvin were never seen running around college towns, hanging out with coeds drinking, while they should have been home playing father and husband.

Well said. I agree 100%!

While the story is hilarious, it's hard to take a guy seriously who is dressed like that wearing a Cardinals hat backwards.

I do not understand this. How do you know he is not out with some boosters? How do you know he is not just enjoying a night out with friends? Do you go out with friends and get your picture taken? How do you know his wife is not with him? Just because she is not in a picture, does not mean he is out with other girls or cheating on his wife. You hear stories, great, ever seen pictures of him cheating? Ever seen him trying to pick up girls? OMG, I hope nobody takes a picture of Capel at Louies one night, SoonerfanTU will not want him as the coach anymore.

That's the most ridiculous comment I've ever read. How do you know he wasn't meeting up with friends or whatever? What Bill Self can't go enjoy a night out at a Piano Bar? Running around college towns? He lives in Lawrence. Hanging out with coeds? Where are they? Should have been home playing father and husband? Seriously, you don't know what you are talking about.
The guy telling the story (a Mizzou fan) even went out of his way to say Self was NOT pulling a Eustachy.
I can see running down a guy because he coaches at KU or by how he acts on the court or whatever but to run down a man and attack him as a father and husband based on THIS is ridiculous. I'm quite sure Bill Self is glad you aren't a fan of his. I am.

Last edited:
I do not understand this. How do you know he is not out with some boosters? How do you know he is not just enjoying a night out with friends? Do you go out with friends and get your picture taken? How do you know his wife is not with him? Just because she is not in a picture, does not mean he is out with other girls or cheating on his wife. You hear stories, great, ever seen pictures of him cheating? Ever seen him trying to pick up girls? OMG, I hope nobody takes a picture of Capel at Louies one night, SoonerfanTU will not want him as the coach anymore.

Well said, I agree 100%.

That's the most ridiculous comment I've ever read. How do you know he wasn't meeting up with friends or whatever? What Bill Self can't go enjoy a night out at a Piano Bar? Running around college towns? He lives in Lawrence. Hanging out with coeds? Where are they? Should have been home playing father and husband? Seriously, you don't know what you are talking about.
The guy telling the story (a Mizzou fan) even went out of his way to say Self was NOT pulling a Eustachy.
I can see running down a guy because he coaches at KU or by how he acts on the court or whatever but to run down a man and attack him as a father and husband based on THIS is ridiculous. I'm quite sure Bill Self is glad you aren't a fan of his. I am.

It's not a good look for a coach/role model. Jeff Capel can't come down on Ray Willis for drinking in a club at late hours of the night if he does the same......

Maybe that's why guys like Slim Shady and Chalmers have weed and sex parties, because that's what they see first hand from the big guy!

It's not a good look for a coach/role model. Jeff Capel can't come down on Ray Willis for drinking in a club at late hours of the night if he does the same......

Sure he can because Ray Willis is not 21. It's the law. And who said it was late at night? And it was the off-season. It's not like Self was getting a DUI at 2am the morning of a game. He was at a Piano Bar. A Piano Bar for goodness sake.
Dirty you can't be taken seriously on anything KU. You've already proven that.

Sure he can because Ray Willis is not 21. It's the law. And who said it was late at night? And it was the off-season. It's not like Self was getting a DUI at 2am the morning of a game. He was at a Piano Bar. A Piano Bar for goodness sake.
Dirty you can't be taken seriously on anything KU. You've already proven that.

So you're saying it is a good look for Bill Self to be hanging at a club in Lawrence? Interesting. I guess if that's how you feel. If my kid was being recruited by him and I asked him about this picture and he told me that "hey, it wasn't 2AM and I didn't get a DUI, I don't know if that will put me at ease. You are the company you keep. With well known drinkers like Eddie Sutton and Gillispie, as your protege and friend.........

Dirty you can't be taken seriously on anything KU. You've already proven that

Says the guy who will defend KU at any level. You realized you just countered me saying "it's not a good look"!

Maybe that's why guys like Slim Shady and Chalmers have weed and sex parties, because that's what they see first hand from the big guy!

Little different circumstances and standards when comparing Willis and Self...c'mon Dirty, you're better than that.

The OU football coaches hang out at Louie's all the time on the west side of Norman...are they bad role models? Eustachy was at a frat/house party kissing coeds, this is completely different. Have any of you ever been to a Piano bar? There are tons of older people there because the atmosphere caters to multiple generations.

Little different circumstances and standards when comparing Willis and Self...c'mon Dirty, you're better than that.

The OU football coaches hang out at Louie's all the time on the west side of Norman...are they bad role models? Eustachy was at a frat/house party kissing coeds, this is completely different. Have any of you ever been to a Piano bar? There are tons of older people there because the atmosphere caters to multiple generations.

It's not me thinking Bill Self is some kind of loser, but it never is a good look to have a coach hanging in a bar. Eustachy is probably the reason that it's not a good look because what he did gives the presumption that other coaches do it. Mike Stoops and Barry Switzer got a bad reputation about it. And if you're talking about OU coaches being at a bar, what message is that sending to a guys who have gotten DUI, drunken assaults, drunkin truck fallings and other alcohol related citation. I have no Idea about what the Piano Bar is, but if it's like bars that i went to when I was in my 20s, its probably alot of drinking and poon hunting going on. And fact of the matter is Eddie Sutton, Gillispie, Andy Kennedy, and Frank Solich have set horrible examples for their indescretion.

Last edited:

Exactly. It's obvious to anyone that doesn't have an agenda with Self or KU.
Dirty & TU both have a long history of having an agenda with Self and/or KU.

Exactly. It's obvious to anyone that doesn't have an agenda with Self or KU.
Dirty & TU both have a long history of having an agenda with Self and/or KU.

Dude, all you care about is KU and not the premise. LOL!! The premise is about a coach being at a bar and what type of message it sends. Bill Self isn't and won't be the las coach at a bar. Re gardless of who the coach is, it's not a good look.

Dude, all you care about is KU and not the premise. LOL!! The premise is about a coach being at a bar and what type of message it sends. Bill Self isn't and won't be the las coach at a bar. Re gardless of who the coach is, it's not a good look.

Dude, it's the exact opposite...all you care about is it's KU. :ez-laugh:
If you are over 21 you can go into a bar. Bottom line. It doesn't matter to me if it's Bill Self, Sean Sutton or Kelvin Sampson I'm going to have the exact same stance. I have zero problem with any coach going into a bar in the off season. I mean seriously. I have zero problem with the college guys going to the club or frat parties or whatever in the offseason. It's part of going to college. I really don't even have a problem with the college guys doing it during the season as long as they get in at a reasonable time, aren't drinking and it's not the night before a game.
The problem I had with a few of the comments is someone with an agenda trying to smear a guys reputation as a person. Talk bad about any coaches decision making on the court, recruiting efforts whatever....but to read that story (which was nothing) and then call into question his personal life and his ability to be a good father and husband is totally uncalled for. I've come across dozens of people (some Oklahomans) that have had interractions with Bill Self and all have said he's a super nice guy and a real gentlemen.
If anyone has a morals problem it's someone making those claims based on a 40 plus year old guy going to a Piano Bar.

On a lighter note...if a 40 plus year old guy can't even go to a Piano Bar anymore where in the heck can he go. ;)

Dude, it's the exact opposite...all you care about is it's KU. :ez-laugh:
If you are over 21 you can go into a bar. Bottom line. It doesn't matter to me if it's Bill Self, Sean Sutton or Kelvin Sampson I'm going to have the exact same stance. I have zero problem with any coach going into a bar in the off season. I mean seriously. I have zero problem with the college guys going to the club or frat parties or whatever in the offseason. It's part of going to college. I really don't even have a problem with the college guys doing it during the season as long as they get in at a reasonable time, aren't drinking and it's not the night before a game.
The problem I had with a few of the comments is someone with an agenda trying to smear a guys reputation as a person. Talk bad about any coaches decision making on the court, recruiting efforts whatever....but to read that story (which was nothing) and then call into question his personal life and his ability to be a good father and husband is totally uncalled for. I've come across dozens of people (some Oklahomans) that have had interractions with Bill Self and all have said he's a super nice guy and a real gentlemen.
If anyone has a morals problem it's someone making those claims based on a 40 plus year old guy going to a Piano Bar.

On a lighter note...if a 40 plus year old guy can't even go to a Piano Bar anymore where in the heck can he go. ;)

So what do you think about Andy Kennedy and Gundy getting drunk and getting in altercation with a cabbie? Is that cool with you? I'm sure those guys didn't plan on that happening, but that's the results of going to a bar and having too many.

So what do you think about Andy Kennedy and Gundy getting drunk and getting in altercation with a cabbie? Is that cool with you? I'm sure those guys didn't plan on that happening, but that's the results of going to a bar and having too many.

I don't even know what you are talking about. I guess from the little you said above I'd say at least they were smart enough to take a cab.
And it wasn't the result of going to a bar...it was the result of them not knowing when to stop drinking.
Just because once in awhile someone gets drunk at a bar and something bad happens doesn't mean everyone who sets foot in a bar is bad and has no self control. Me and my friends go to sports bars all the time and nothing ever happens. We go to talk, laugh and have a good time catching up. Not to get drunk and start trouble.
I guess I'd say until someone has history of getting in trouble then lets just assume they are pretty okay guys and not a lousy husband and father because one night they set foot in a Piano Bar.

Back