Blake Griffin Injured From Off-Court Altercation

according to this list, the clips have an annual revenue stream of 176 million and expenses of 20 million a year. Not sure where they get these numbers...they must take overhead out of the equation

according to this list, the clips have an annual revenue stream of 176 million and expenses of 20 million a year. Not sure where they get these numbers...they must take overhead out of the equation

how do they only have $20 million in expenses when they have over $93 million just in players salaries.

not sure. They must count salaries and overhead as something else

I seriously doubt the Clippers are insanely profitable.

well, you'd be wrong then. Every NBA franchise is insanely profitable, it's why the Salary cap is going to be almost doubling over the next couple of years. cap is just a percentage of revenue.

That forbes article makes no sense. They need to define what they are using as income and expenses.

They cite the pistons as one of the top 5 most profitable with an average operating income of $10MM. That would assume they don't use salaries in these numbers b/c i believe the cap was around 45 or 55 4 years ago.

But in the next paragraph them talk about how the mavericks are one of the least profiable teams mostly b/c of their salaries.

Regardless, a team isn't going to be priced at $2 billion unless they are insanely profitable

I don't think you are correct. I googled it and found an article for 2012. http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissm...-and-least-profitable-nba-teams/#76bae0ba53d9

Several teams are losing money or were in 2012.

Those are 5 year averages factoring in what was the end of an extremely undervalued national TV contract and under the old CBA which was much less owner friendly.

It's also worth noting that the "profits" that would have been reported were those by an ownership group arguing that they should get a larger share of revenue. Anything publicly reported at this time would be using some serious accounting magic.

There is a reason franchise values are exploding, and it's not because franchises are losing money.

It says not all teams make money. It says that generally large market teams do better than small market teams.

As a general rule professional sports teams are not all that profitable. However, historically the value of the franchises have increased notably and it is that increase that has made them a good investment.

It says not all teams make money. It says that generally large market teams do better than small market teams.

As a general rule professional sports teams are not all that profitable. However, historically the value of the franchises have increased notably and it is that increase that has made them a good investment.

You don't think there's something of a disconnect there? Someone who can afford a major league sports team can also afford accountants who can do their magic to help him or her cry poverty.

Reminds me of NYC landlords, who are always complaining about rising costs, but somehow the cost of real estate here only climbs and climbs.

You don't think there's something of a disconnect there? Someone who can afford a major league sports team can also afford accountants who can do their magic to help him or her cry poverty.

Reminds me of NYC landlords, who are always complaining about rising costs, but somehow the cost of real estate here only climbs and climbs.

You are confusing capital appreciation with income. You are also ignoring the ego factor of the owners. It is cool to own a professional sports team.

These guys are not likely filing fraudulent tax returns.

typical Trammel. Griffin got hacked like crazy. I remember guys tripping him, kicking him in the groin, and all kinds of other cheap shots. I don't recall the dirty plays that Trammel seems to recall.

Honestly, it is unfortunate that Blake didn't punch Trammel. I would pay money to see that.

I agree! I'm sure BT is trying to create news much like he's been doing more year after year. I won't even click on his stories online anymore so he won't get hits. Newspapers are a dying breed today and so he's (like many others) are trying to create news and starting radio careers. He's an egotistical buffoon!

Blake = dumb ass. What is he thinking? I wish they'd trade him already. I'm tired of following this sh!t show of a team.

You are confusing capital appreciation with income. You are also ignoring the ego factor of the owners. It is cool to own a professional sports team.

These guys are not likely filing fraudulent tax returns.

It has nothing to do with filing fraudulent tax returns, their tax returns are not public record. When they announce their "profits", they can use any accounting method they please.

Hollywood, for example, is notorious for claiming that basically every film they put out made no money or even made a loss. The family of Tolkien were in a legal battle for years over royalties from the LOTR franchises which the studios claimed didn't make money.

It has nothing to do with filing fraudulent tax returns, their tax returns are not public record. When they announce their "profits", they can use any accounting method they please.

Hollywood, for example, is notorious for claiming that basically every film they put out made no money or even made a loss. The family of Tolkien were in a legal battle for years over royalties from the LOTR franchises which the studios claimed didn't make money.

OK. The unsourced guy is correct. All NBA franchises make insane money.

OK. The unsourced guy is correct. All NBA franchises make insane money.

Editing out my snippy response.

If you want to believe that NBA franchises are not profitable, despite revenues going up every year and less than half of that revenue percentage going to the players, that's your prerogative.

Last edited:
Back