Brackins Staying Put In Ames

thebigabd

Reaction score
AMES, Iowa - Citing that he has unfinished business and is intent on helping win basketball games for the Cyclones next season, Iowa State sophomore Craig Brackins announced Friday that he is returning to ISU for his junior season and will not enter his name into the 2009 NBA Draft.

“I had a lot of time to think about this and felt there was something empty inside. Something was missing,” Brackins said. “I feel like I have not accomplished everything I wanted to achieve at Iowa State. It was a tough decision, but I am excited about returning and equally determined to make sure we are successful next season.”

The return of Brackins will give the Cyclones instant credibility next year. The First-Team All-Big 12 pick and honorable mention All-America selection will be one of the top returning players in the nation. In his superb sophomore season, Brackins averaged 20.2 point and 9.5 rebounds. The Palmdale, Calif., native is the Big 12’s No. 1 returning scorer and will likely be one of the top-five returning point producers nationally, depending on early NBA entries.

“We are thrilled that Craig has decided to return for his junior season,” ISU head coach Greg McDermott said. “It’s been obvious to me during the course of our discussions that he is committed to helping this program become competitive in the Big 12. Craig has an opportunity to both lead our team and improve and showcase his abilities in one of the nation’s top leagues.”

Brackins, who is one of four returning starters for the Cyclones in 2009-10, became just the third player in ISU history to record over 600 points (645) and 300 rebounds (303) in a season in 2008-09. He is also one of five players in school history to record over 1,000 points in their first two seasons as a Cyclone. Brackins ranks 26th all-time in ISU history with 1,011 career points.

http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10700&ATCLID=3727058

Hitler will be please by this.

I think it is a good move on Brackins part. Another year to develop and get a little stronger will help him out in the future. He obviously has NBA talent and length but I don't think he is there strength wise.

I hate to say it, but he's not going to accomplish much at Iowa State.

Good possiblility they'll move up to 9th in the conference, if Colorado and Shannon Sharpe don't catch them.

PG: Diante Garrett (6'4'' 185)
Was one of the Big 12’s top playmakers, ranking third in the league and 36th nationally in assists (5.0 apg)...totaled 161 assists to rank 14th on ISU’s single-season assist chart...one of two players to start all 32 games...was second on the team in scoring (9.8 ppg) and averaged 3.3 rebounds...led the team in steals with 30.

SG: Lucca Staiger (6'5'' 225)
Started 27 games, averaging 8.2 points and 2.2 rebounds...was ISU’s top long-range shooter, making a team-high 74 treys in 192 attempts...his 74 3-pointers ranks seventh on ISU’s single-season 3-pointers made list...averaged 2.3 3-pointers made per game to rank sixth in the Big 12 and seventh on ISU’s single-season list.poured in a career-high 24 points on 8-of-11 shooting from 3-point range vs. Drake...his eight treys ties for second on ISU’s single-game record chart...tied a Big 12 mark by making seven treys in the first half vs. Drake...tallied 15 points in his Big 12 debut at Texas...drilled six 3-pointers en route to 18 points vs. Nebraska...posted 14 points behind a 4-of-10 effort from long range at Oklahoma State...was 5-of-9 from downtown and scored 17 points at Nebraska...his 74 treys already ranks 18th in school history.

SF: Marquis Gilstrap (6'6'' 213)
Emerged as one of the best junior college players in the nation in his one season at Gulf Coast, averaging 22.6 points and 10.1 rebounds per game as a sophomore. ranked 10th nationally in scoring and 20th in the nation in rebounding in the final NJCAA statistical rankings...shot 48.3 percent from the field (257-532), 40.9 percent from 3-point range (52-127) and 74.8 percent from the free-throw line (181-242)...was named Panhandle Conference Player of the Year and first-team team all-Panhandle Conference. averaged 24.6 points and 10.3 rebounds to earn FCCAA All-Tournament team honors...had seven 30+ scoring games.

PF: Craig Brackins (6'10'' 230)
Recorded one of the greatest seasons in ISU history, earning first-team all-Big 12 and first-team all-District honors from the NABC, USBWA and Basketball Times...named honorable mention All-American by the AP...was the first Cyclone to earn first-team all-Big 12 honors since Jamaal Tinsley in 2001...named Big 12 Player of the Week three times...averaged 20.2 points, ranking second in the Big 12 and 22nd nationally...averaged 9.5 rebounds to rank third in the Big 12 and 26th nationally. along with Oklahoma’s Blake Griffin and Notre Dame’s Luke Harangody, was one of three players in the country to rank in the top-30 nationally in both scoring and rebounding...in Big 12 games, averaged a double-double (21.8 points/10.3 rebounds).scored a career-high 42 points vs. Kansas, making 11-of-19 shots from the floor, 3-of-5 from beyond the arc and 17-of-21 from the charity stripe...the 42 points ties for the sixth-best effort by a Big 12 player in league history and is the fourth-best scoring effort in ISU history.

C: Justin Hamilton (6'11'' 255)
Had a solid freshman campaign, averaging 4.2 points and 2.9 rebounds...started 18 games and played in 32 contests...led the Cyclones in field goal percentage (57.0 percent), hitting 57-of-100 shots from the floor...his 57.0 percent clip from the floor ranks 15th on ISU’s single-season record chart and second on ISU’s freshmen list...tallied 17 blocks...in his first career start, scored eight points and grabbed a career-high 12 boards in a win at Houston...posted a career-high 16 points (7-9 FG) vs. SIU Edwardsville...scored 13 points on 6-of-9 shooting from the field at Missouri...recorded eight points and 10 rebounds at Texas...posted a career-high three blocks vs. Colorado.

Good possiblility they'll move up to 9th in the conference, if Colorado and Shannon Sharpe don't catch them.

Depends on Gilstrap. If Gilstrap is legit they have a chance to be the surprise team in the conference now that Brackins has returned. Gilstrap averaged 22 a game in juco and is a big time athlete and shooter at 6'6'' 215.

He could be newcomer of the year in the Big 12.

Teams falling off from next year: Mizzou, OU, maybe Baylor maybe not

Teams getting better: Everybody else. Literally

Every team outside of OU and Missouri will have roster improvements. So how do we determine who's going to be a player, and who's not in the conference. I don't think OU falls past 6th. But if everyone else like Tech, Colorado, ISU, and Nebraska are getting better, who in the top is going to take a dive.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI9G7eMDnUI[/ame]

Gilstrap will pair with Brackins nicely... he is an instant starter and will be one of the favorites for newcomer of the year.

Iowa State will be the surprise team in the conference if they stay healthy.

Every team outside of OU and Missouri will have roster improvements. So how do we determine who's going to be a player, and who's not in the conference. I don't think OU falls past 6th. But if everyone else like Tech, Colorado, ISU, and Nebraska are getting better, who in the top is going to take a dive.

Missouri, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State seem most likely to dive.

OSU loses two 15 points a game guys, and the heart and soul of their team. Their best recruit wont qualify, and it will take some time to get going.

OU loses the national player of the year, a 3 year starter at power forward, and a 3-4 year starter at point guard. I think OU will get better at point guard, but there is going to be some growing pains with the team. They could finish as high as 3rd or 4th, or as low as 6th or 7th.

Missouri has nice guards coming back for next year, but could have serious issues in the post. They have no go-to guy anymore, and lost 3 really good seniors. They will take a few steps back.

Iowa State has an interesting situation, because I think they have a lot of the pieces now. They have an experienced point guard who is probably the best returning assist guy in the conference. They have the best overall player in the conference, who could also be a 1st team all-american and big 12 player of the year. They have one of the best pure shooters who in the conference who I think will be a good deal better because he hit 74 treys as a first year guy. They signed a guy in Gilstrap who I think will be a serious challenger for newcomer of the year. They have depth at guard and in the post now.

Texas Tech returns 4 starters and adds a lot of athletic ability and talent with their recruiting class. Everyone seems to be forgetting their horrid season and only remembering Singletarys 43 point performance against A&M. They should have been better last year, and they sucked it up. I have no idea where they could end up, but I think they have some talent.

Colorado got a lot better with their recruiting class. They return 4 important starters, including one of the best guards in the conference. I dont know where they will finish, but Colorado (who already gave some top teams fits last year) will be a much tougher out this year.

Nebraska will have 4 new starters, and I see some obvious growing pains and issues for them. They will probably finish low, and could even get passed by Colorado next year.

Last edited:
LOL nobody roots for the Big 12 north quite like ABD. He loves the underdog.

Kansas is the clear preseason favorite. They should be the favorite to win the national championship in my opinion.

However, after Kansas, you could make a case for any sequencing of the remaining teams. With regard to every team, it will come down to how players, that are not currently on their rosters, play. So there is a little unknown about them all.

As for Oklahoma: TMG or Willie will be the point, either way we will be improved. All of our wings return (crocker, willis, davis, WW), and so we will be improved there (plus we add pledger -- not sure what to expect from him as freshman), and we will be deeper in the post, although we won't be as good (nobody will or could replace blake). However, over the last 25 years, we have played 21-22 seasons with worse bigs than we will be playing with next year, and rarely had the numbers we will have next year. Ipso, I think we will be improved.

Thus, I think we finish about where we did last year, 3-5 in the league. I say the 2nd place team loses 3-4 games in conference next year.

Big, give me your standings. I'm not being contrary, infact I agree with you that all these teams roster talent improves. But their are only so many spots a team can jump. And for those teams that jump some have to fall. You're saying OSU will fall, well OSU finished 7th. Do they fall to 9th?

Last edited:
If everything falls just right for Iowa State, the 2010 CBI will be the Craig Brackins Show.

Big, give me your standings. I'm not being contrary, infact I agree with you that all these teams roster talent improves. But their are only so many spots a team can jump. And for those teams that jump some have to fall. You're saying OSU will fall, well OSU finished 7th. Do they fall to 9th?

1.) Kansas
2.) Texas
3.) Kansas State
4.) Texas A&M
5.) Oklahoma
6.) Iowa State
7.) Oklahoma State
8.) Colorado
9.) Mizzou
10.) Baylor
11.) Texas Tech
12.) Nebraska

I fear for Doc this year. Also, I just dont see how Mizzou doesnt take a big tumble. Tech is too hard to predict, so I put them low. Baylor lost some important pieces and they are impossible to predict as well.

Last edited:
1.) Kansas
2.) Texas
3.) Kansas State
4.) Texas A&M
5.) Oklahoma
6.) Iowa State
7.) Oklahoma State
8.) Colorado
9.) Mizzou
10.) Baylor
11.) Texas Tech
12.) Nebraska

I fear for Doc this year. Also, I just dont see how Mizzou doesnt take a big tumble. Tech is too hard to predict, so I put them low. Baylor lost some important pieces and they are impossible to predict as well.

So basically you switched your love teams of Mizzou and Nebraskea with ISU, KSU, and Colorado. I agree with some of your list and not so much with the others. I can't give you a list, but I think KU is one, UT, OU, OSU, KSU, BU are the next group ISU, TT, TAMU, the next group. Mizzou, Nebraska, CU in the rear. TAMU may lose Elonu which may hurt. I think their is alot of parody from 2-10.

So basically you switched your love teams of Mizzou and Nebraskea with ISU, KSU, and Colorado.

ISU, KSU, and Colorado are going to get better. Do you agree?

Nebraska and Mizzou are going to get worse. Do you agree?

It's not about who I love or don't love. Its about who I see getting better and who I see getting worse this year.

I havent seen anything from Nebraska since the Big 12 that leads me to believe they can replace 4 starters and finish in the middle of the pack.

Mizzou hasnt done enough in recruiting to replace Lyons and Carroll. I think Safford and Bowers are nice players, but Lyons and Carroll are on a whole other level than them. Not to mention they lost a 4 year guy in Matt Lawrence.

The 6-11 spots are often decided by a game or two, sometimes not even that. Therefore, its hard to put a list together when it comes down to toss-up games, tie breakers, etc.

Apparently you believe in Baylor and Texas Tech a lot more than I do.

Back