Buddy prediction thread

AdaSooner

Admin Emeritus
Reaction score
Thought revisiting this Buddy prediction thread from last year might be fun. The topic of whether he would, or should, declare for the draft created quite a stir last spring. Most thought he should stay, while some thought he should take the money and run.

In the end, Buddy decided to come back and the rest is history. I doubt if anyone would say he made a mistake now, on a personal level or for OU.

http://ouhoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35137

Even when I was right I was wrong. I didn't think he could improve his draft stock this much. I thought it was wise to come back because either way he was a fringe 1st round pick. But now he's on the verge of the top 5

he's made himself millions by coming back. Even more millions when you consider endorsements.

Even when I was right I was wrong. I didn't think he could improve his draft stock this much. I thought it was wise to come back because either way he was a fringe 1st round pick. But now he's on the verge of the top 5

I was in the same boat. I thought he couldn't improve his stock, and that the decision really just boiled down to how much he enjoyed playing college basketball. Obviously, I was so far off it's kind of mind boggling. Will maintain that this is far and away the biggest leap from a junior to senior season of any player in at least the last 20 years.

he's made himself millions by coming back. Even more millions when you consider endorsements.

As Charles Barkley said, "Buddy Hield is going to be VERY rich!"

I was one of a number of OU fans who thought Buddy should return for his senior season, maybe more like hoping he would come back. I don't think anyone predicted he would go from a second round selection to a likely lottery pick one year later.

I'm happy to say we were wrong. We should have known no one would work harder than Buddy to make reaching that goal possible.

i thought he could improve his dribbling at best... and he actually really has only marginally improve in that regard.. his shooting as approached outstanding status and I couldnt be happier for the guy.

If he continues to improve his dribbling the guy could be a big factor in the NBA

I was in the same boat. I thought he couldn't improve his stock, and that the decision really just boiled down to how much he enjoyed playing college basketball. Obviously, I was so far off it's kind of mind boggling. Will maintain that this is far and away the biggest leap from a junior to senior season of any player in at least the last 20 years.
Same here. Off the top of my head I can't remember ever seeing a bigger leap from junior to senior year. I didn't think he would sniff lottery territory, let alone Top 5. A year ago, I thought Buddy could stick in the league if he could hit NBA 3s in the high 30s; I wasn't thinking that he would transform himself into the best shooter in the country in one year.

Here's a good illustration of how drastic--and atypical--his improvement is:

SGImprovement-032416.jpg

http://nyloncalculus.com/2016/03/24/the-rise-of-buddy/

He improved his true shooting percentage by double-digits while taking over 30% of his team's shots. That's insane.

Very rare to see this type of improvement from junior to senior season, it's phenomenal.

So rare, it further highlights the importance of NBA teams taking underclassmen and underclassmen striking when the iron is hot.

Any chance Buddy could get the NCAA to give him another year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any chance Buddy could get the NCAA to give him another year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt if the NCAA will go for "OU fans don't want to see him leave" as a reason for giving him another season. ;)

I am definitely one those that thought he should have gone ...and I was totally wrong. Buddy has the whole country locked into Oklahoma Basketball. The level of passion this board has shown for your basketball team and Buddy is admirable and I hope more talent from Bahamas follows Buddy's footsteps to this wonderful program and great fans.

I am definitely one those that thought he should have gone ...and I was totally wrong. Buddy has the whole country locked into Oklahoma Basketball. The level of passion this board has shown for your basketball team and Buddy is admirable and I hope more talent from Bahamas follows Buddy's footsteps to this wonderful program and great fans.

papaP, if you discover a Buddy clone down your way, be sure to send give him Coach Kruger's telephone number. ;)

I doubt if you will, though. What he has done for OU basketball can't possibly be measured in dollars and cents. He has not only captured the hearts and attention of Sooner fans, his personality and smile have endured him to hoops fans everywhere.

Buddy Hield is one of a kind. There will never be another quite like him.

Glad you stopped by! Please feel free to join in our discussions anytime you get the chance.

Thanks Ada there is one guy that I hope would consider Oklahoma after what Buddy has done Deandre Ayton not a shooting guard but I think Lon could find a spot for a 7"1 guy

Thanks Ada there is one guy that I hope would consider Oklahoma after what Buddy has done Deandre Ayton not a shooting guard but I think Lon could find a spot for a 7"1 guy

Count me in, papaP! Ayton would be a great get. He already has offers from Duke, Zona, KU and Kentucky. I would love to see him follow in Buddy's footsteps and come to OU.

Back