Bzdelik discusses program, CU basketball past and future

thebigabd

Reaction score
CU's Bzdelik moving forward

BOULDER, Colo. — Jeff Bzdelik is already looking forward to his third season as the Colorado men’s basketball coach.

Several members of the Buffs’ balanced five-man recruiting class — which includes point guard Shannon Sharpe, shooting guard Alec Burks, forwards Marcus Relphorde and Keegan Hornbuckle, and center Shane Harris-Tunks — are already on campus for the June school session.

After an impressive individual season, Cory Higgins is working out with NBA players again this summer and looking to improve his overall game before his junior campaign.

Dwight Thorne, the only senior in the program, recently returned from a trip to Poland and Germany playing on an Athletes In Action team.

Sophomore forward Austin Dufault has already added 10 pounds of muscle in the offseason strength and conditioning program.

The 2009-10 schedule includes CU’s first appearance in the prestigious Maui Invitational, road trips to Colorado State, Oregon State and Tulsa, as well as the grueling Big 12 slate.

But before moving forward, Bzdelik sat down with the Camera this week and reflected on another spring of attrition.

Two members of last year’s recruiting class, guard Ryan Kelley and forward Toby Veal, left CU basketball recently looking to transfer to other programs.

That makes 10 different players who have departed from CU for a variety of reasons since Bzdelik was hired.

Some of the names on the growing list — which also includes Kal Bay, James Inge, Sean Kowal Caleb Patterson, Xavier Silas, Marc Van Burck, Jeremy Williams and Kyle Wright — had a sense of entitlement about playing time and thought they could just focus on hoops without worrying about homework.

“I think a lot of it has to do with our society. It’s instant gratification and everybody ... they want, they want, they want, but few persevere now,” Bzdelik said. “You have to work and earn what you get. It’s a reflection on our society in some ways.”

Kelley, an excellent student, left CU after the spring semester in good academic standing. He is still searching to find a program where he can have more of an impact after playing sparingly for the Buffs and averaging just 2.6 points and 0.5 rebounds as a true freshman.

Veal, who left to be closer to his daughter, leaves CU ineligible due to missed classes. The talented 6-foot-7 project from Savannah, Ga., will likely have to enroll at a junior college after averaging just 1.8 points and 1.6 rebounds as a true freshman.

“They are both good people,” Bzdelik said of Kelley and Veal. “Ryan simply was looking for an opportunity to contribute more significantly. And in Toby’s case, it was more personal with some issues he needs to iron out. We wish them well. They’re good young people that are searching.”

Veal could cost Bzdelik a scholarship down the road for failing to leave in good academic standing.

Men’s basketball was the only athletic program at CU that failed to meet the NCAA’s Academic Progress Rate for the 2007-08 school years, data that was released last month.

CU had a score of 900, which was below the required minimum of 925. Men’s basketball was penalized with the loss of a scholarship, but Bzdelik chose to take the penalty last season.

The previous four academic years prior to 2007-08 — Bzdelik’s first season at CU — the men’s basketball scores were 885, 875, 884 and 873 under Ricardo Patton.

“We inherited an APR mess and we’ve made great strides to improve it,” Bzdelik said. “Even though Toby has left us ineligible, the APR has improved.”

Bzdelik — who has a 21-42 record in two seasons at CU after posting a 50-16 record in two seasons at Air Force — understands why some Buffs fans are becoming impatient.

“I’m sure there’s doubt in people’s minds because we won 12 games and nine games, but you have to look at the whole picture,” Bzdelik said. “That’s why I said in my first press conference here that I can’t wave a magic wand and have this change overnight. It won’t happen that way. I’ve been true to my word. ...

“We inherited a basketball team that won seven games, that had no competitive spirit, that was undisciplined, and had bad grades. And you look and say, ‘You’ve had a lot of players leave the program.’ But let me ask you a question: Who out of those players who have left the program have gone on to another BCS school? Name one.”

This list of schools where departed ex-CU players landed the past two years includes Cornell, Idaho State, Missouri State, Northern Illinois and UTEP.

Bzdelik believes he is finally moving forward at CU with a roster capable of competing in the Big 12.

http://www.buffzone.com/news/2009/jun/04/college-basketball-bzdelik-moving-forward/

I like his spirit. Too bad he won't win 6 games next year in conference.....:woot

I like his spirit. Too bad he won't win 6 games next year in conference.....:woot

Missouri at home
Iowa State at home
Nebraska at home
Okahoma at home
Baylor at home
Texas Tech at home

i didn't realize veal left. he was starting to play better towards the end of the year, and really had some potential. he is a significant loss.

i didn't realize veal left. he was starting to play better towards the end of the year, and really had some potential. he is a significant loss.

he was a top 150 player in some lists. Kelley also had some good games in garbage time and seemed promising to me. hard to know where they are at....whatever Bzdelik says, they've had a lot of attrition. at minimum, Kelley and Veal leaves them with a depth chart/class hole...which they can't afford more of ever since Ricardo screwed them with the 9 player senior class a few years ago and then recruited 3 big men projects in the same class, none of whom lasted more than a season. only Kowal was a decent player.

Silas and Kowal were legit D-1, big conference players. maybe not great players (Kowal, a passable big man) and Silas is a talent (but selfish player, headcase type)...but both would have started last year. They both ended up with Patton at Northern Illinois. Kowal alone in the paint probably gives them a couple more conference wins. they were so SO disadvantaged in the post last year it was ridiculous. But Kowal was a part of a group that were told they weren't going to play after two workouts by Bzdelik. Pretty unceremonious treatment of a scholarship-athlete IMO. i know how things are, but still.

my CU buddies are kind of divided on Bzdelik so far. though, really only a couple are legit hoops fans. by going to Coors a couple-three times a year i'm by far more interested in hoops than they are.

to be honest, both the football and hoops situations at CU are a total mystery to me. either they are about to turn the corner or in total disarray...it's hard to tell.

Higgins is the most underrated player in the conference.

Last edited:
CU has signed my paychecks since 2001 so I've learned to live with that. :D

Missouri at home
Iowa State at home
Nebraska at home
Okahoma at home
Baylor at home
Texas Tech at home

I only see two real gimmes out of that list. I will be very disappointed if we go up there and lay another egg.....I don't think we will.

I only see two real gimmes out of that list. I will be very disappointed if we go up there and lay another egg.....I don't think we will.

They will be tough at home this year... I wouldnt be surprised to see them beat OU (and OU has REALLY struggled in Boulder historically) this year. They went to OT with KSU and Texas at home last year, lost close a very close game to OU in Norman, and took KU to the wire last year in Lawrence...

They return 4 young guys who started every game last year (two of them true freshman, the other two sophs).. They added enough in recruiting and experience to win some of those close games this year.

You will be sporting a KU avatar this time next year, book it.

They will be tough at home this year... I wouldnt be surprised to see them beat OU (and OU has REALLY struggled in Boulder historically) this year. They went to OT with KSU and Texas at home last year, lost close a very close game to OU in Norman, and took KU to the wire last year in Lawrence...

They return 4 young guys who started every game last year (two of them true freshman, the other two sophs).. They added enough in recruiting and experience to win some of those close games this year.

You will be sporting a KU avatar this time next year, book it.

I just don't see it. They are always going to be in some close games with that offense, much like Kelvin and his offense. This just isn't a good year for them to do as well as you think. The league is going to be too good....

Maybe next year?

Back