Bzdelik thinks Alec Burks is the next Richard Roby...

thebigabd

Reaction score
What a recruiting blunder for Mizzou...

By Ryan Thorburn Camera Sports Writer
Posted: 09/22/2009 12:21:43 AM MDT

The next Richard Roby might already be on Colorado`s campus.
Jeff Bzdelik compared freshman guard Alec Burks -- a skinny, 6-foot-6 swish machine -- to the program`s all-time leading scorer during a teleconference with reporters this summer.

The arrival of Missouri`s reigning high school player of the year to Boulder should, if nothing else, provide a spark to a CU team that finished last in the Big 12 in scoring the past two seasons running Bzdelik`s system.

Believe it or not, Dan Hawkins and Aric Goodman deserve credit for an assist on this one. Burks committed to CU a year ago after the Buffs` nationally televised overtime victory over West Virginia at Folsom Field. The Buffs next face West Virginia on Oct. 1.

"I came on my visit and I just loved it here," said Burks, who also considered playing for Kansas State. "They had a football game on ESPN and we won and everybody rushed the field. I wanted to be a part of that experience, so I committed here."

Burks averaged more than 23 points per game and shot 54 percent from the field as a senior at Grandview (Mo.) High School last season. He led his team to the Class 5A state championship game and scored 33 points on that stage.

Had Burks not committed to CU last fall, there is no doubt other programs would have been recruiting him heavily last winter. The talented prospect has grown over two inches since storming Folsom Field with Cory Higgins and his future teammates during his official visit.

“I improved my overall game last year. I was just more aggressive and got better,” Burks said. “I grew up and tried to get my game ready for college.”

Bzdelik said he believes all five of his newcomers will contribute this season. Burks is capable of scoring from just about anywhere on the court, but if the true freshman wants serious playing time in the Big 12 he'll have to dedicate himself more on the defensive end.

“He's definitely very skilled. He can score the basketball,” sophomore point guard Nate Tomlinson said. “If he can take his defense to a new level and get in the weight room like all of us have to, he's going to be a very good player for us.”

Dwight Thorne, the only senior in the program, is the likely starter at the shooting guard position after averaging 12 points and shooting 40.9 percent from behind the 3-point arc last season.

But Burks — like Shannon Sharpe at point guard, Keegan Hornbuckle and Marcus Relphorde at forward and Shane Harris-Tunks at center — will provide the veteran Buffs who have suffered through back-to-back 20-loss seasons with some much-needed competition in practice.

“Tough,” is how Burks described the workouts CU has been conducting this month. “We're here early in the morning, they're making us better though. It's something I've never seen before in my life. ...

“I need to work on my defense, that's what they tell me. My offensive game is already here and ready.”

Bzdelik concurs.

“Without question,” CU's third-year head coach said when asked if Burks will have a major impact on the team if he picks up his defensive game. “Alec can score not only for himself but for others because he's a very willing passer and creator.”

Roby finished with 2,001 points during his CU career. Bzdelik took over the program during his senior season and had trouble finding an adequate replacement last year.

Perhaps the program's next prolific scorer has arrived.

“I guess that's a good thing,” Burks said of his coach mentioning him and Roby in the same sentence during the offseason. “I don't know too much about him, but he's the all-time leading scorer here. I can score however you want, too. I can score.”

http://www.buffzone.com/basketball/ci_13391101

Hopefully he doesn't make the same mistake as Roby...he should of bolted for the NBA when his stock was high.

PG: Shannon Sharpe (6'1'' 200)- As a senior in 2007-08, averaged 17.9 ppg., 7.9 rpg., 7.7 apg., 3.2 spg. Recorded five triple-doubles during his senior season...In 2008, AAU team was ranked No. 3 nationally.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4SW3u-peYs[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjQhNM_i4hU[/ame]

SG: Dwight Thorne (6'3'' 185)- Started every game (31) • Team leader with 45 made 3-pointers • Second in team scoring (12.0 ppg.), steals (35), made field goals (128), made free throws (70), third in assists with 52 (1.7 apg.), minutes played (33.4) and fourth in rebounds (3.4) • Finished the season ranked in three Big 12-only categories (fifth in three-point field goals (.424), seventh in minutes played (34.8), t-13th steals (1.2).

SG: Cory Higgins (6'5'' 190)- All-Big 12 Conference third team selection as a sophomore.. One of 13 nationally ranked first or second on their team in the five major statistical categories (points, rebounds, assists, steals, blocks) and only sophomore nationally on that list... Had 20+ points 12 times and 30+ points twice. Averaged 17.4 points and 5.4 rebounds on the year.

SF: Marcus Relphorde (6'7'' 225)- Averaged 10.6 points and 4.2 rebounds per game as a sophomore helping the Warriors finish with a 30-3 record • All-Region honorable mention • Shot .487 from the floor and .722 from the free throw line • Averaged 14 points and scored in double figures in 12 of the team's last 13 games. Juco team sent players to Marquette, Colorado, St. Johns, Iowa State, and Arkansas...
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boqs48F8_bk[/ame]

PF: Austin Dufault (6'9'' 230)- Started all 31 games averaging 30.7 minutes, 8.2 points, 3.7 rebounds and 1.0 assist per game as a true freshman...

"I came on my visit and I just loved it here," said Burks, who also considered playing for Kansas State. "They had a football game on ESPN and we won and everybody rushed the field. I wanted to be a part of that experience, so I committed here."

Maybe he should have gone to a better "football" school, so he'd possibly get to celebrate a win in a sport he doesn't even play. :sooner

Hopefully he doesn't make the same mistake as Roby...he should of bolted for the NBA when his stock was high.

Roby was exposed a little his SO/JR year when teams started to play him physical on the perimeter. he never got stronger or (it would seem from my my vantage point in the stands 3-4 times a year in Boulder) that he put much effort in the weight room. i think more than anything, that's kept him from the NBA.

his big mistake was letting Ricardo talk him into a "we're in this together" thing where Roby was looking at the 2nd round and came back. Patton decided to lame duck his team shortly thereafter....and CU has been spiraling ever since.

Roby was exposed a little his SO/JR year when teams started to play him physical on the perimeter. he never got stronger or (it would seem from my my vantage point in the stands 3-4 times a year in Boulder) that he put much effort in the weight room. i think more than anything, that's kept him from the NBA.

his big mistake was letting Ricardo talk him into a "we're in this together" thing where Roby was looking at the 2nd round and came back. Patton decided to lame duck his team shortly thereafter....and CU has been spiraling ever since.

What games you plan on going to this year in Boulder, Sanguinetti?

I plan on going to the Kansas State, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Texas Tech games this year....

Agree...skilled scorer who really couldn't take the physicality from the defense that well. Roby was (at the time) thought of as to get drafted somewhere in the second round. Now, after all the pre-draft camps he could of been exposed, but the point remains he should of bolted for the NBA (or any other league) when his stock was the highest.

Maybe he just loved Boulder.

What games you plan on going to this year in Boulder, Sanguinetti?

I plan on going to the Kansas State, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Texas Tech games this year....

not sure yet. i try and see the better conference teams and OOC i might go to CS-Northridge but nothing else too exciting before conference play. i buy the GA ticket so i'm flexible and with Sat. games it depends if OU is on TV and midweek work factors in as well (ditto: OU on TV). i live about 1 mile from the CEC so i can decide/not decide pretty much at the last minute.

just 4 years ago that CU played aTm in the second round of the Big XII tourney in essentially a
"play-in" game for an NCAA bid. the two teams had played a close one in Reed earlier. aTm won, went on the play LSU and Big Baby in the Sweet 16 (one shot away from the round of 8) and remains a legit tourney team year-in/out....and CU has bottomed out with 2-3 straight cellar finishes.

Last edited:
I don't know if Alec Burks will be able to take the Colorado program to the level that Richard Roby did.

Back