Capel has signed 8 players who didnt play more than 2 seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly--who isn't happy? The straw-man argument you floated that some want Sampson back, FS, is a little bit ridiculous. I doubt there's even a single Sooner fan who wants Sampson back (or Tubbs, for that matter -- life moves on, and we've got a terrific young coach), but you presented it as if there's a large, vocal faction of fans who feel that way.

As am I. Doesn't mean we can't discuss areas of improvement, and downfalls.

I agree with that statement.
It's just when that is all some people talk about at a time where the program is on the rise that it is confusing.

It's just when that is all some people talk about at a time where the program is on the rise that it is confusing.

Agreed. When those people can't talk about the numerous positives without reminding everyone of their perception of Capel's shortcomings, it makes me wonder if they have a personal ax to grind?

But, to be fair, I wonder the same thing if Sampson's name is brought up negatively when Capel's supporters point to his strengths? They're both bad habits that have worn thin on a lot of us, and it's high time we put them too rest.

Agreed. When those people can't talk about the numerous positives without reminding everyone of their perception of Capel's shortcomings, it makes me wonder if they have a personal ax to grind?

But, to be fair, I wonder the same thing if Sampson's name is brought up negatively when Capel's supporters point to his strengths? They're both bad habits that have worn thin on a lot of us, and it's high time we put them too rest.

I think people ripping this for happening under Sampson need to shut up about that. College Basketball isn't an easy thing to play.

I think people ripping this for happening under Sampson need to shut up about that. College Basketball isn't an easy thing to play.

Frankly, Nick, both sides need to zip it! I have my own thoughts about these issues. But that doesn't mean I need to bore members with my opinion every chance I get.

I realize controversial topics are interesting and often the driving force on most fan boards. I just think it's time both sides agree to disagree and move on with this one. There is nothing new to discuss that hasn't been hashed and rehashed hundreds of times in the past three years. As someone who has been a moderator on two boards during that time, I can anticipate every response and repeat it almost word for word. :)

How do these numbers compare to other schools? Is this a Capel issue or an NCAA issue? This seems to be the norm in college basketball. How many did Sampson and the Suttons lose? How many has Ford lost?

sky whoever said a big fraction of fans. Sounds like you may be having interpretation problems. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:ez-laugh:

The more 4* and 5* recruits we sign the more one and done and 2 and done players we will have.

:sooner

I know I'm late on this but McG78 is correct on the Bookout situation, I was on the training staff at that time.

I know I'm late on this but McG78 is correct on the Bookout situation, I was on the training staff at that time.

Wow, that's disappointing Sampson (or any coach for that matter) would do that. Quick what did the training staff think about the deal?

Wow, that's disappointing Sampson (or any coach for that matter) would do that. Quick what did the training staff think about the deal?

I agree that it is dissappointing that a coach would do that (that being incouraging a player to play hurt), but it is just as dissappointing if not more that Kevin Bookout, his parents and the medical staff would allow this to happen. One of our biggest problems in life is lack of personal accountability. It seems to me Kevin Bookout must have gone along with the idea or it would not have happened. I also think the medial staff, including the poster that was "on the staff" need to seriously evaluate their ethics and consider whether they did the right thing. Sometimes you have to stand up in life and risk personal adverse consequences for doing the right thing (and even suffer them at times).

I agree that it is dissappointing that a coach would do that (that being incouraging a player to play hurt), but it is just as dissappointing if not more that Kevin Bookout, his parents and the medical staff would allow this to happen. One of our biggest problems in life is lack of personal accountability. It seems to me Kevin Bookout must have gone along with the idea or it would not have happened. I also think the medial staff, including the poster that was "on the staff" need to seriously evaluate their ethics and consider whether they did the right thing. Sometimes you have to stand up in life and risk personal adverse consequences for doing the right thing (and even suffer them at times).

I agree.

At the end of the day, it was Kevin Bookout's decision to make, and I have to think he made the best decision for himself. He isn't stupid. It was widely known that Kevin didn't want to spend 5 or 6 seasons playing basketball at OU. He wanted to play his four years, and focus on other things. He did that. Just another example of some posters being the haters that they are.

I also think the medial staff, including the poster that was "on the staff" need to seriously evaluate their ethics and consider whether they did the right thing.

Vey uncalled for comment. The decision was Kevin B.'s in the end and while whether Kelvin did or didn't put any pressure on him to play is up for discussion, telling Quick to evaluate his own ethics is flat offensive. He is one of the best posters here.

I also think the medial staff, including the poster that was "on the staff" need to seriously evaluate their ethics and consider whether they did the right thing.

Denver, if you had limited your comment about the staff to the physician(s), I would have agreed 100%. Doctors are the ultimate decision-makers in all medical matters. Sooner Quick said he was on the "training staff," which means it was highly unlikely he even had a voice in the decision. I know you meant no harm, but I thought it was important to set the record straight.

So basically what Quick is saying is that the physicians, staff, and all that jazz told Bookout that he should sit out and rest his shoulder, and that if he didn't, he'd make the injury worse. And after hearing that, Kelvin, uh.....in some way forced Bookout to continue playing?

I don't know if this is what Denver meant or not, but if Quick felt strongly enough that Kelvin was in the wrong, then quitting was definitely an option. And the other side of that is if the physicians felt that it was such a bad deal, or the strength coach, or an assistant coach felt like it was such a poor character move by Kelvin, wouldn't SOMEONE have quit?

I know if I feel like my boss is being shady, or making decisions that are hurting others, I'd consider quiting. Yet in the Bookout situation.....nobody did. Hmm.

Wow, that's disappointing Sampson (or any coach for that matter) would do that.

I agree. IMO, it's not only disappointing but it's also disturbing. We're fortunate to have a class act as our Coach. I wouldn't trade Coach Capel for Pitino, Calapari or Calhoun.

:jcapel

So basically what Quick is saying is that the physicians, staff, and all that jazz told Bookout that he should sit out and rest his shoulder, and that if he didn't, he'd make the injury worse. And after hearing that, Kelvin, uh.....in some way forced Bookout to continue playing?

I don't know if this is what Denver meant or not, but if Quick felt strongly enough that Kelvin was in the wrong, then quitting was definitely an option. And the other side of that is if the physicians felt that it was such a bad deal, or the strength coach, or an assistant coach felt like it was such a poor character move by Kelvin, wouldn't SOMEONE have quit?

I know if I feel like my boss is being shady, or making decisions that are hurting others, I'd consider quiting. Yet in the Bookout situation.....nobody did. Hmm.

You do know that Book DID consider quitting, right? Several times. He quit for a day after the WVU debacle in the all-college as well. It happened a lot to players during the Sampson era. He was almost always able to get them to come back though.

You do know that Book DID consider quitting, right? Several times. He quit for a day after the WVU debacle in the all-college as well. It happened a lot to players during the Sampson era. He was almost always able to get them to come back though.

Yes, but that wasn't a shoulder issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back