Capel on life at a football school

One point people fail to mention about OU basketball attendance is the geographic area our season ticket holders encompass. There are many OU basketball season ticket holders who live in Dallas, Tulsa, Little Rock, etc. No one is going to drive 3 hours for a Wednesday night game unless it is a great matchup.

Why would they buy season tickets then? And Wichita is 2 1/2 hours from Lawrence and people drive up all the time and fill it every week night.
If OU football played on Wed nights the people would drive 3 hours.

OSU's season ticket holders primarily reside in Tulsa and OKC. It is a lot easier to make that trip. Similarly, ISU's fan base resides primarily in Des Moines (a very short drive).
The Norman/OKC metro area is much bigger than both Stillwater and Des Moines geographic areas.

If OU expanded its arena to 40,000, the number of butts in the seats would greatly increase because there would be a lot of new season ticket holders who reside closer to the arena.
Are OU season tickets sold out for hoops?

Again, I think the problem is (and please correct me if I'm wrong) but it's forcing football season ticket holders to buy basketball tickets. If say they have 6,000 football season ticket holders who are forced to buy basketball season tickets and yet they have 6,000 different fans who would buy those basketball tickets then why in the world do they force football season ticket holders to buy them? Again, let me know if I'm wrong but I just can't imagine with all the excitement in OU basketball right now why they keep doing this. Can someone please explain the reasoning?

Why would they buy season tickets then? And Wichita is 2 1/2 hours from Lawrence and people drive up all the time and fill it every week night.
If OU football played on Wed nights the people would drive 3 hours.

The Norman/OKC metro area is much bigger than both Stillwater and Des Moines geographic areas.

Are OU season tickets sold out for hoops?

Again, I think the problem is (and please correct me if I'm wrong) but it's forcing football season ticket holders to buy basketball tickets. If say they have 6,000 football season ticket holders who are forced to buy basketball season tickets and yet they have 6,000 different fans who would buy those basketball tickets then why in the world do they force football season ticket holders to buy them? Again, let me know if I'm wrong but I just can't imagine with all the excitement in OU basketball right now why they keep doing this. Can someone please explain the reasoning?

The OU Athletics department keeps insisting that this does not happen and that there is no connection to OU's football season tickets and the men's basketball.... now I have my doubts.... so yeah. haha w/e.

The OU Athletics department keeps insisting that this does not happen and that there is no connection to OU's football season tickets and the men's basketball.... now I have my doubts.... so yeah. haha w/e.

Yeah, it has been established many times that there is no real link between buying basketball tickets and getting perks for football tickets. It is more beneficial to the Texas ticket seeker to donate money to OU then to buy basketball tickets.

True or not that misperception probably drives many football fans to buy bball tickets.

True or not that misperception probably drives many football fans to buy bball tickets.

Yes, that common perception needs to be thwarted, immediately! haha

I wish the OU would make it more clear... but I have yet to see them make a great effort at that.

Back