Capel quote on scholarships for next season

soonerjr

Reaction score
Asked what his team would use for motivation, Capel said it was an opportunity for everyone to get better and then added: "I don't mean this in a negative way, but scholarships aren't guaranteed for next year. There will be some decisions that will be made. So if guys aren't motivated, they'll make that decision a little bit easier."

Interesting. I wonder if we really will see some roster changes for next year.

I wonder if he's tempted to pull a Budke and gut the roster and start over again

I can't imagine him asking anybody except Willis to leave. Assuming Allen isn't going anywhere, he isn't going to to ask the others to leave. Guaranteed.

I can't imagine him asking anybody except Willis to leave. Assuming Allen isn't going anywhere, he isn't going to to ask the others to leave. Guaranteed.

I don't see him asking TMG, Fitzgerald, Pledger or Tiny to leave. I don't see why he would want to get rid of 7' practice player.

What about Hardrick? I could see him telling Hardrick he didn't see much playing time in his future. Same thing with Willis. They both might want to leave and go to a lower level school.

Willis might be one of those guys that goes to a VCU or Louisiana Monroe type school and scores a lot of points.

I can't imagine him asking anybody except Willis to leave.

I've been thinking this for a while. I also think that Jeff wants to bring in at least three new players no matter what WW decides to do.

I don't see him asking TMG, Fitzgerald, Pledger or Tiny to leave. I don't see why he would want to get rid of 7' practice player.

What about Hardrick? I could see him telling Hardrick he didn't see much playing time in his future. Same thing with Willis. They both might want to leave and go to a lower level school.

Willis might be one of those guys that goes to a VCU or Louisiana Monroe type school and scores a lot of points.

I guess Hardrick might be the other, but to me, coach might need to just bite the bullet on that one, unless the kid decides to leave. Capel offered him, and he grew up an OU fan, and he has stayed out of trouble. Capel would look like a jerk if he asked him to leave. Assuming Willie leaves, getting Willis to transfer would give up plenty of scholarships to get whom we need this offseason.

I've been thinking this for a while. I also think that Jeff wants to bring in at least three new players no matter what WW decides to do.

Like I said, then ask Willis to leave, and don't give Honore a scholarship. Without crunching the numbers, that should give us 3-4 available, even without Willie leaving.

Like I said, then ask Willis to leave, and don't give Honore a scholarship. Without crunching the numbers, that should give us 3-4 available, even without Willie leaving.

OU cannot afford to give Honore a scholarship. It is big business not a charity event.

I concur [it is a miracle, lol!].

I think it is funny how many ripped on Ford for doing this exact same thing. :)

College basketball is a big buisness. If a player isn't willing to put in the work to improve, gets in trouble or is a team chemistry killer then show him the door. A scholarship isn't a free gift. If you don't want to work for it, then give it to someone that will.

If Willis is trying his best on the court, it wouldn't be right to kick him off the team.

Capel recruited him, Capel should allow him a chance to get better.

If Willis is trying his best on the court, it wouldn't be right to kick him off the team.

Capel recruited him, Capel should allow him a chance to get better.

how much time should he get? he's had two years, and if capel isn't seeing it on the practice court, then capel needs to do what he has to do. that goes with any player, so i don't mean to single ray out. but honestly, if he was showing it on the court, would tj franklin be getting more minutes the past two games than him?

all that was missing from that press conference was capel picking up the mic and dropping it to the ground like chris rock after his final answer.

Come guys. This isn't the NBA. You don't prevent a kid who committed to your program just because he isn't the player you thought he might be. You offered a player a scholarship to play for you and unless they are actively hurting the reputation of your program, you shouldn't take away their scholarship. If someone want to transfer that is fine, but you guaranteed someone and education and you should standby your word.

On the topic of Willis, I think we shouldn't assume that he won't become a better player. A lot of guys all over the nation are nobodies while they are underclassmen and turn into role players and even difference makers by the end of their career. I don't think you try an run off a guy who has been in your system for 2 years. Again, if someone wants to transfer that is their prerogative, but you shouldn't go out of your way to encourage turnover. Many people in this thread asking for Capel to get rid of players are the same people who complain about Capel not being able to hold onto players in other threads.

honore is not on the team. straight from capel's mouth.

When was that said?

There is more crap information on this board then any board I have ever read. I have been hearing about this guy named Honore for months. Now he isn't on the team in any capacity.

I think it is funny how many ripped on Ford for doing this exact same thing. :)

College basketball is a big buisness. If a player isn't willing to put in the work to improve, gets in trouble or is a team chemistry killer then show him the door. A scholarship isn't a free gift. If you don't want to work for it, then give it to someone that will.

Hey playboy, Ford has already oversigned by three people, and that's factoring in the projection of James Anderson going pro. Big difference between that and a threat.

Maybe before we start deciding who to kick off, we might start thinking about the 2 available scholarships that OU already has. Its not like we are in anyones top 2.

I think Willis will be a decent role player for us as a senior which is 2 years away and that is just fine with me. You can't always be one of the best teams if your always having young players. Players do get better.

I just got done watching OU take on Duke(Huryley/Hill) at Cameron in 93'. Even though OU lost in double OT they just looked amazing. That team had a starting lineup of 4-SR's and 1-JR. With a bench of 1-SR, 3-JR's, and 3-FR.

Davis was nothing special and look what he is turning into with experience. I expect Willis to be a contributor if it takes him til his senior year to do so.

Maybe before we start deciding who to kick off, we might start thinking about the 2 available scholarships that OU already has. Its not like we are in anyones top 2.

I think Willis will be a decent role player for us as a senior which is 2 years away and that is just fine with me. You can't always be one of the best teams if your always having young players. Players do get better.

I just got done watching OU take on Duke(Huryley/Hill) at Cameron in 93'. Even though OU lost in double OT they just looked amazing. That team had a starting lineup of 4-SR's and 1-JR. With a bench of 1-SR, 3-JR's, and 3-FR.

Davis was nothing special and look what he is turning into with experience. I expect Willis to be a contributor if it takes him til his senior year to do so.

OU lived off jucos back then. So OU virtually always had a lineup filled with Seniors and Juniors. I get your point but you also have to remember this fact. (I am not saying when these freshman become seniors OU will not have a good team).

My take from Coach's comment about scholarships are not guaranteed is in no way directed towards a guy like Hardrick. Him having a schollie is the least of OU's problems. I think it was directed towards guys who's attitudes aren't right.

My take from Coach's comment about scholarships are not guaranteed is in no way directed towards a guy like Hardrick. Him having a schollie is the least of OU's problems. I think it was directed towards guys who's attitudes aren't right.

Who's to say his attitude is good. He's the only guy that hasn't even gotten a chance to play. I've talked to people at PCO
and they said he was very insubordinate to the coach there. Something is there, because he's behind Gerber. That says alot, because alot of people are getting atleast an opportunity.

I think they keep Allen because he's a good guy, Willis tranfers to Georgia St. or Georgia Southern, Warren's gone, and everyone else is OK. We'll be good next year.

Back