Congrats AK @ The Masters!

Sooner Quick

Reaction score
Fomer OU golfer Anthony Kim's talent shines through at Masters

By Nancy Armour, Associated Press Comment on this article 0 Comments
Published: April 12, 2010

AUGUSTA, Ga. — It used to be hard to see anything but Anthony Kim’s brashness in the glare of that rhinestone-studded belt buckle.

On Sunday, all anyone noticed was the former Oklahoma Sooner’s prodigious talent.

Kim made a late charge at the Masters on Sunday, playing a four-hole stretch in only 11 shots to get within two of the lead. But, playing four groups in front of Phil Mickelson, he ran out of holes.

Still, Kim’s 65 was the best score of the tournament and earned him third place. At 276, he was four strokes behind Mickelson and one behind Lee Westwood.

"I knew I was coming from pretty far back and Phil’s obviously playing great and Lee was playing well,” Kim said. "But I grinded. I hung in there, and I’m proud of the way I stuck it out.”

The 24-year-old Kim has emerged as one of the tour’s more appealing personalities. He delighted U.S. fans at the Ryder Cup two years ago, refusing to concede anything and revving the crowd up like it was a football game.

And, there’s that belt buckle. Rhinestones surround the letters "AK” — blinding if the light hits it just right.

On the PGA Tour since 2007, Kim has already won three times, including last week after a playoff in Houston. His game can be as edgy as his fashion choices, and it can cost him big. He hit only nine of 14 fairways for a second straight day Sunday.

"I’m going to have to start hitting the ball in the fairway,” he said. "I think I heard some stat that I was last in driving again, and that’s not really a stat you want to be last at, when it really does give you a huge advantage out here to be in the fairway.”

Kim is still bothered by the torn ligament in his left thumb, and it has started to affect his swing. While surgery is a last resort, he said he knows he needs to find some solution.

Because he also knows he can contend with the best of them.

"The attitude I had, the mindset I was in last week (in Houston) really helped me this week. I feel like I’ve actually gotten over a little hump in my golf career when I felt like things were stalling,” Kim said. "I know now that with my attitude, if I can just get my ball-striking to what it was, I’m going to be at a different level.”

http://newsok.com/fomer-ou-golfer-anthony-kims-talent-shines-through-at-masters/article/3453216?custom_click=rss

Anthony needs to make a belt buckle with the giant OU logo instead of his initials so he can wear it with his OU cap. :D

AK was awesome yesterday! I was really pleased with the way he hung in there and finished the tournament. His OU helmet driver cover got a lot of air time, too. lol

More from our non basketball Sooners.

In just ONE WEEK at OU:

The OU Debate Team won the national championship for the third time in four years.

The OU women's basketball team became the first team in school history to go to back-to-back Final Fours.

Two OU students were named Goldwater Scholars, bringing the total number of OU Goldwater Scholars to 30 since 1995, placing OU in the top ranks of universities nationally.

The OU men's gymnastics team won the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Championship, its 10th conference title in 12 years.

Two OU students were named Truman Scholars, a prestigious award given based on a student's leadership potential, intellectual ability and the likelihood of "making a difference."

Thanks for the info. I'm heading to work today with a proud smile on my face. Good to hear about all the OU accolades

Back