Couple questions for those in the know

lexusooner

Reaction score
Does 6’7” Benny Schröder play big or have a post up game?
It would be nice to have another post up scorer to pair with TG aka little Bill Walton or could he back up Tanner without getting ate up down there at 6’7?

We only have three guys 6’9 or taller on the roster.
Behind the 6’9” veteran Groves in the post we have a 6’9” Sophomore walk-on Godwin and 6’10 True Freshman Northweather.

Is Godwin good enough to give us a few post minutes per night without hurting the team too badly?

There will be nights TGroves gets in foul trouble.
Northweather may be ready to play the back-up post minutes but he may also need a bit of time to adapt to the speed and size of the D1 game.

I know they can both shoot it but are either Godwin or Northweather good passers, capable post defenders, or rim protectors?

Do you think we’ll sign another big (6’8”+) for this season via HS, TP, or JUCO?

I'm definitely not in the know, but I assumed J Groves and Hill were our first options for post depth after T Groves, based on what others have posted. I'm still holding out hope for a Chargois like find in the portal too.

I'm definitely not in the know, but I assumed J Groves and Hill were our first options for post depth after T Groves, based on what others have posted. I'm still holding out hope for a Chargois like find in the portal too.

If Hill and little Groves are our back up 5’s rival B12 post players are going to straight up feast on is like free BBQ chicken.
They are both good players but they are built similar to the rest of the B12’s 3’s not 4s or 5s.

Every team in the league appears to have at least two 6’9 or taller post players that would enjoy posting up on little Groves or Hill and will absolutely feast on them on the boards.

Northweather and Godwin are both 6’9- 6’10” and have the size to at least have a chance to defend/blockout 6’9 and taller players.
Little Groves looks to be close to 6’7 or so and Hill’s not a centimeter over 6’6” and neither has the wear-with-all to stop a guy 3 pluses inches taller than they are around the rim.
If Little Groves and Hill are our 2nd and 3rd best post defending/ rebounding options we will not make the tourney idc who our guards are…,

Last edited:
I think we leave 1 ship open.

Northweather is already up to 235 post his bball season.

Take one more guard and go play unless we find an instant impact big.

Jacob is every bit of 6’9-6’10

I hope you’re right because I read he was 6’9 last year when we recruited him but after seeing him I’d be surprised if he’s even 6’8 with his shoes on.

Kinda like NRK being 6’7 or Mukes being 6’4” coming out of HS .,

Tanner is listed at 6’9” in shoes and he’s at least 1.5 to 2 inches taller than Jacob.
For the sake of conversation let’s say if Jacob was 6’8” in shoes he still has no business in the post vs bigger B12 guys as he’s no threat to slow down a big post player from scoring a bunch and grabbing a bunch of rebounds…

Hopefully Northweather and Godwin are both at least two inches taller than Jacob and can both play with more physicality in the paint.

I wasn't suggesting that we were in good shape with Hill, J Groves as backup in the post, rather that I have a hard time believing that the true freshman or walkon is going to be a better option on day 1. I expect we'll need to excel at denying entry passes any time we face skilled bigs this year absent a pleasant front cuurt surprise on the roster.

If our two new post at 6’9 and 6’10 can’t defend in the paint better than the light in the pants 6’7 Groves or the short 6’6 Hill we are really going to get murdered in the paint …

If our two new post at 6’9 and 6’10 can’t defend in the paint better than the light in the pants 6’7 Groves or the short 6’6 Hill we are really going to get murdered in the paint …

I don't want to start a height argument WWIII but Jacob Groves is way closer to 6-10 than he is 6-7. He is at least 6-9. That is why I think, if he's added strength and a little athleticism, he should focus a little more on getting inside, rebounding, mixing it up a little.... than tripping over his d*** on the outside trying guard guards 5x faster/quicker than him. There's no law against him still shooting 3s too. Spell Hill...

Last edited:

Hill more than holds his own because of effort and smarts. Obviously it would be great if he were a few inches taller, but he is far from a liability regardless of where he is defending.

I don't want to start a height argument WWIII but Jacob Groves is way closer to 6-10 than he is 6-7. He is at least 6-9. That is why I think, if he's added strength and a little athleticism, she should focus a little more on getting inside, rebounding, mixing it up a little.... than tripping over his d*** on the outside trying guard guards 5x faster/quicker than him. There's no law against him still shooting 3s too. Spell Hill...

Jacob’s height at 6’ 9” has never been his problem. He needed to gain more weight, specifically add more muscle mass to his frame. A picture in the “back in the gym” thread appears to show he has done just that. If he also added a bit of toughness, this could be his breakout season.

http://ouhoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44797

I’m also encouraged by the fact that OU is bringing in a bevy of guards and wings with a reputation for toughness on both ends of the ball. Some of us asked for more athleticism and toughness next season, and by all accounts our coaches heard our plea.

We still have one ship left, but unless the ideal transfer guard/wing/big drops right into our lap, I’m not sure we should use it? I honestly think most of our immediate needs have already been met.

Jacob’s height at 6’ 9” has never been his problem. He needed to gain more weight, specifically add more muscle mass to his frame. A picture in the “back in the gym” thread appears to show he has done just that. If he also added a bit of toughness, this could be his breakout season.

http://ouhoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44797

I’m also encouraged by the fact that OU is bringing in a bevy of guards and wings with a reputation for toughness on both ends of the ball. Some of us asked for more athleticism and toughness next season, and by all accounts our coaches heard our plea.

We still have one ship left, but unless the ideal transfer guard/wing/big drops right into our lap, I’m not sure we should use it? I honestly think most of our immediate needs have already been met.

Not surprising since both he and Tanner said they were going to stay in the gym this offseason. Seem to be men of their words.

I understand the post player argument, but how many teams really throw it into the post on a consistent basis in basketball at any level. If they attack you in the post and you don't have the strength / size to defend it, then you have to make them pay on the other end of the court. If you can make their big switch and guard one of your perimeter players then you can really take advantage of the opponents big guys. I think OU's problem last year was size at every position. Average size at the 1 and 3, undersized at 2,4 and 5. OU did not have a length advantage at any position against any team in the Big 12. I think Moser has done a decent job addressing 1-3, but 4 and 5 may still be a bit of a problem - especially depth at those two spots. We will see.

I don't want to start a height argument WWIII but Jacob Groves is way closer to 6-10 than he is 6-7. He is at least 6-9. That is why I think, if he's added strength and a little athleticism, he should focus a little more on getting inside, rebounding, mixing it up a little.... than tripping over his d*** on the outside trying guard guards 5x faster/quicker than him. There's no law against him still shooting 3s too. Spell Hill...

If Jacob is at least 6-9, or maybe 6-10, and is tripping over his d***, all I can say is WOW!

Back