5s in the portal

How many 5s (big men) should PM add from the portal?

• Total voters
Reread his post

Ahh, I saw transfer and that is where my mind went. Don't see him leaving at all after just transferring in, but agree he shouldn't be starting either. In an ideal world that is your 3rd big man.

No.

First, that is just a big ask of a freshman, regardless of talent.

Second, I'm not sure he is a great fit in the starting lineup next to those other two guards. SOMEBODY has to be a shooting threat. That isn't Kaden's strength. It's not really the strength of either of our freshman guards. It's not Hill's strength. It likely won't be our starting 5's strength.

If Sherfield leaves, this team needs a transfer guard who's strength is shooting the basketball.

And I think he should. Uzan, Oweh, Cooper, Hill, & a good transfer big could be extremely athletic, crazy rebounders, great defensively & could be serviceable in a downhill/slashing offense.

But I know what you mean, under Moser’s offense it’d be a train wreck. I also have 0 confidence he can develop scorers individually.

Last edited:
And I think he should. Uzan, Oweh, Cooper, Hill, & a good transfer big could be extremely athletic, crazy rebounders, great defensively & could be serviceable in a downhill/slashing offense.

But I know what you mean, under Moser’s offense it’d be a train wreck. I also have 0 confidence he can develop scorers individually.

And by recruiting so many of those guys, and being in a position where we're almost certainly going to get a big with limited range or athleticism, I have to wonder if PM knows how to recruit to his system OR adjust him system for who he is recruiting.

You just about have to have shooters to be really good in today's game. If not, you have to be elite somewhere else (defense).

In PM's system, you have to hope a guy like Cole can eventually play the 4, because he isn't going to be skilled enough to play 1-3. I'm not trying to be overly negative, but I hate recruiting a bunch of these athletes that don't have a lot of pure skills. I want shooters. I want scorers. I don't want guys that when you read their scouting reports it says "not a great shooter" or "not a lot of wiggle on drives to the hoop." OU plays big boy basketball. Just being an athlete won't get you very far.

And by recruiting so many of those guys, and being in a position where we're almost certainly going to get a big with limited range or athleticism, I have to wonder if PM knows how to recruit to his system OR adjust him system for who he is recruiting.

You just about have to have shooters to be really good in today's game. If not, you have to be elite somewhere else (defense).

In PM's system, you have to hope a guy like Cole can eventually play the 4, because he isn't going to be skilled enough to play 1-3. I'm not trying to be overly negative, but I hate recruiting a bunch of these athletes that don't have a lot of pure skills. I want shooters. I want scorers. I don't want guys that when you read their scouting reports it says "not a great shooter" or "not a lot of wiggle on drives to the hoop." OU plays big boy basketball. Just being an athlete won't get you very far.

I agree, but great athletes with length have the ability to be elite defensively. Elite defense with an efficient offense is my preferred choice. But you have to have at least 3 threats on offense. I don’t know if PM can develop players or adjust to his personnel, my 2 main knocks on him so far.

Ahh, I saw transfer and that is where my mind went. Don't see him leaving at all after just transferring in, but agree he shouldn't be starting either. In an ideal world that is your 3rd big man.

:)

Just need Grant to stay now.

I doubt he stays, but that would be huge. Would throw as much NIL at him as we realistically can. Porter's job security could easily hinge on his presence.

I put 1, but he's got to be a huge difference maker. You've got Godwin, Norweather, and Kieta as backups & only one "5" plays at a time usually. Also Hill can be a small ball 5.

I suspect Kieta won't stay, but we'll see.

The NCAA is cracking down on waivers.

Unless you're a grad transfer, it'll be a lot harder for guys like Keita or Bam to transfer again.

Back