5s in the portal

How many 5s (big men) should PM add from the portal?

• Total voters

hoopsaustin

Reaction score
With TG leaving and our only our playing bigman being a walk-on, how many big guys should PM add in the portal?

If i were PM i would process so many players to free up spots for new guys. We can talk about scholly availability and who we think should/will be processed. He has to hit on players for next year..

Godwin has impressed me. But hes obviously limited and not a starter in the big 12. He probably deserves a scholly.. id process Northweather and keita, if they were any good, they would have played this year..

I would also process benny, bam, noland, JG. I would keep cortes. Thats 6 schollys right there - 5 if you give Godwin a scholly plus idk how many schollys we have in general

Last edited:
I put 1, but he's got to be a huge difference maker. You've got Godwin, Norweather, and Kieta as backups & only one "5" plays at a time usually. Also Hill can be a small ball 5.

Not sure Hill stays. He can make a decent living playing overseas. He sure doesn’t have any real incentive to stay and play for a team likely going nowhere soon.

As for Benny and Northweather….I’d at least like another year to see what they can do.

Can we keep Uzan and Oweh?

1, provided the coaching staff was correct in their evaluations of Norweather and Keita. Godwin is a serviceable backup.

The team needs to process JG, Noland, and maybe even Bam and and find some shooters in the portal.

Not sure Hill stays. He can make a decent living playing overseas. He sure doesn’t have any real incentive to stay and play for a team likely going nowhere soon.

As for Benny and Northweather….I’d at least like another year to see what they can do.

Bob P at SoonerScoop has been hearing that Hill is staying.

Thinks Uzan and Oweh will stay as well.

I wouldn’t mind Keita hitting the portal. We should do better in the portal this year with a more robust NIL to offer.

With that, I think we need 2 bigs out of the portal. 1 starter and a replacement for Keita.

He will likely make comparable money here (NIL + value of scholarship/grad school/room&board) than overseas.

Im so confused on who has eligibility anymore these days.. he can come back fir sure?

Tanner Groves is the only player that cannot return next year.

Everyone else has at least one more year of eligibility remaining.

Last edited:
If all the guys return that are eligible do you guys think Kaden is a day one starter? His video is awfully impressive.

If all the guys return that are eligible do you guys think Kaden is a day one starter? His video is awfully impressive.

No.

First, that is just a big ask of a freshman, regardless of talent.

Second, I'm not sure he is a great fit in the starting lineup next to those other two guards. SOMEBODY has to be a shooting threat. That isn't Kaden's strength. It's not really the strength of either of our freshman guards. It's not Hill's strength. It likely won't be our starting 5's strength.

If Sherfield leaves, this team needs a transfer guard who's strength is shooting the basketball.

Keep:
Uzan/Cortes
add Cooper/transfer
Oweh/Bam
Hill/add Cole
Transfer Big/Godwin/Norweather

lose Tanner Groves, jacob Groves, Keita and Noland.
Probably leaves: Grant Sherfield

Open Scholarship goes to Godwin
Groves and Grant scholarships are taken by HS kids.
Does this leave us two more spots to fill? That's what I have in my two deep I guess.

Keep:
Uzan/Cortes
add Cooper/transfer
Oweh/Bam
Hill/add Cole
Transfer Big/Godwin/Norweather

lose Tanner Groves, jacob Groves, Keita and Noland.
Probably leaves: Grant Sherfield

Open Scholarship goes to Godwin
Groves and Grant scholarships are taken by HS kids.
Does this leave us two more spots to fill? That's what I have in my two deep I guess.

Why would Godwin transfer? Why would we want him to? He isn't starting material, but he is absolutely fine coming in off the bench in a reserve role.

Back