Dickie V’s Top 40

We have a lot of good company (in terms of respected programs) in that "rest of the top 40" category.

Good point. I never really noticed the other schools on that list until you mentioned it.

Unlike many Sooner fans, I actually like Dick Vitale and believe he's been a positive for college basketball. On the other hand, I won't be using Vitale's Top 40 as a guide for predicting which teams make the NCAA tournament.

Unlike many Sooner fans, I actually like Dick Vitale and believe he's been a positive for college basketball. On the other hand, I won't be using Vitale's Top 40 as a guide for predicting which teams make the NCAA tournament.

You're crazy lol

I'm with you. We all know he's a Duke fan first and foremost, and an ACC fan second. If one can find a way to see past that, it's also easy to remember some of the good things he has said about OU in the past. He was the commentator in one of the best college basketball games this century in Lawrence during Buddy's senior year. I believe it was the first time he had seen him play in person. During the game, he mentioned ESPN draft guru Chad Ford who had Buddy at #28 in his latest mock. "Chad Ford, it's time to update your draft board! #28!? He's going way higher than that!"

In the previous century, he nicknamed Billy Tubbs "The Judge" because he RULED on his home court. I could go on about compliments toward guys like Mookie Blaylock, Stacey King, and of course, Wayman Tisdale, but I made my point.

My objection to Vitale is not his sucking up to the bluebloods (and the conference that's perceived as the blueblood conference) -- virtually every college announcer does that. It's the general clownishness of his approach, the push to draw attention to himself. Never in my five-plus decades of following sports have I opted to watch a given game because of who's announcing it. I tune in to watch the game, not be entertained by the announcer (and if I were looking to be entertained by an announcer, Vitale would be waaay down on my list). I'm convinced that he's a decent fellow and that he loves college hoops, but I hate his presentation (and his voice -- ugh. That voice is like nails on a chalkboard).

Back