Europe for Lance Stephenson?

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
Maryland has backed off, and they were the best school left that was still after him....

Source Link

COLLEGE PARK - Lance Stephenson, a McDonald's All-American who is one of the top unsigned basketball prospects in the nation, is no longer being recruited by Maryland, according to two sources with knowledge of the school's efforts.

Stephenson, a 6-foot-5 swingman from Brooklyn, N.Y., whose off-the-court issues have caused Maryland and other colleges concern, has not been pursued by the Terrapins program for several weeks. The sources spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of discussing recruits.

Stephenson, New York State's boys career scoring leader, led Lincoln High School to the Public School Athletic League Class AA boys championship last season for the fourth time. He has attracted interest from a number of top colleges, including Arizona and Memphis. On May 20, USA Today quoted Stephenson's father as saying his son had narrowed his choices to Maryland and Arizona.

Stephenson, nicknamed "Born Ready," attended a Maryland basketball game during an official visit in January. Terps fans chanted his name and waved printouts of his picture.

But officials at Maryland are wary of the recruit in part because of an Internet reality series called Born Ready that says its aim is to follow "the life and pursuit of basketball glory by high school phenom Lance Stephenson." Some schools worry the NCAA may question an athlete's involvement with such a site.

An NCAA spokesman could not be reached Monday. The NCAA typically doesn't discuss recruits because of privacy considerations.

Stephenson also faces a court date later this month on a misdemeanor sexual assault charge. His attorney, Alberto Ebanks, has denied the accusations. Ebanks could not be reached Monday night.

Neither Stephenson nor his father, Lance Stephenson Sr., could be reached Monday through Dwayne "Tiny" Morton, the player's high school coach.

Asked whether schools were cautious about recruiting Stephenson, Morton replied: "I don't know if schools have backed off." He said he had no doubt that Stephenson would still have a major impact on a college program next season.

Maryland officials declined to comment.

Van Coleman, national recruiting analyst for Hoopmasters.com, said Stephenson's ability "to come in and impact a college team is similar to what we've seen in the [high profile recruiting of Tyreke] Evans and Michael Beasleys. Would you want him for basketball? Of course."

Added Coleman: "I know Gary [Williams] would love to have him as a player. But he has to wonder if it would cost the program."

Go to Europe, play with professional basketball players (adults) who dont care how good you were in American high school, earn a nice paycheck, and come back to the United States in a few years for the NBA draft.

Go to Europe, play with professional basketball players (adults) who dont care how good you were in American high school, earn a nice paycheck, and come back to the United States in a few years for the NBA draft.

Europe is where I'd go. You will develop your game twice as much as going to college. And that's being conservative.

Europe is where I'd go. You will develop your game twice as much as going to college. And that's being conservative.
I'm going to Europe for my honeymoon, I'll go watch him play.

Back