Fran Fraschilla on Kansas and Texas after watching them practice

Sooner23

Reaction score
On Texas.........

I am a student of the game of basketball. Each season, I've got to begin my studies all over again. I've already had the chance to see Texas, Kentucky, Seton Hall and Kansas, and while it's still very, very early, here are a few things I've learned:

This is Rick Barnes' deepest team -- and, possibly, his best.

This is the deepest and most athletic team Barnes has had at Texas. In fact, he has more possible combinations to play than a Rubik's Cube. And while every coach would salivate over this much talent, there are pitfalls. Barnes will have to figure out how to keep so many good players happy, what his best lineups will be and how to create a style of play that will incorporate this team's strength in numbers.

A year ago, the Longhorns were scrambling for perimeter help. Now, with high school All-Americans Avery Bradley and Jordan Hamilton, Florida transfer Jai Lucas and former Texas high school star J'Covan Brown on board, there is an embarrassment of riches in Austin.

While the attention has rightly shined most on Bradley, an outstanding defender and midrange scorer, the best NBA prospect on the roster might be the 6-foot-7 Hamilton, who is a Paul Pierce clone. Hamilton can shoot from long distance and has the slashing ability to get into the lane at will. Once he shakes off the rust of missing his last high school season after being denied a fifth year of eligibility, he could be Barnes' go-to scorer.

Brown, a high school scorer, has all the tools to be a quality point guard in the Big 12, and Barnes will nurture him early. It wouldn't surprise me if by conference play the job is his.

Lucas, a combo guard in a point guard's body, shot the lights on the day I watched practice. He's a gym rat in the same mold of his brother, John, and his father.

Up front, Damion James has played his best basketball at Texas as a power forward and it's likely that's where he'll see most of his minutes. It's also likely he will crush the Longhorns' all-time rebounding record before he's done wearing burnt orange.

The suddenly svelte Dexter Pittman is down to 285 pounds and, if he can stay on the floor more than 20 minutes a game, he will be a force in a league whose only other dominant center is KU's Cole Aldrich.

According to kenpom.com, Texas averaged 66 offensive possessions a game, putting them right smack in the middle of Division I. That should change dramatically this season.

Texas has always been excellent defensively under Barnes, but because of his team's size, depth and quickness, the Longhorns could be terrific on that end of the floor. A defensive possession that turns into a rebound, a fast break and a high-percentage shot will take the pressure off the Horns in their half-court offense.

On Kansas......

The Jayhawks have two of the country's best six players.

Now that the off-court distractions are behind them, Bill Self and his Jayhawks can finally concentrate on living up to their lofty preseason expectations. I got to watch them play Friday night at Late Night in the Phog and at Saturday's first real team practice, and I was not disappointed.

First of all, here's the given: Self welcomes back two great college players in 6-11 center Cole Aldrich and 5-11 point guard Sherron Collins at, arguably, the two most important positions on the court. Both have been a huge part of Kansas' success, and it's clear that their leadership will be as important as their talent. After talking with both players, I sensed that they returned to make some Jayhawks history because no KU player has ever won two NCAA titles.

There were some surprises for me at practice. Both Morris twins, Markieff and Marcus, have improved and each could see some time at small forward because they are shooting the long ball very well. Coupled with Aldrich, the 6-foot-8 bookends will give Kansas its accustomed physical presence.

Self has added an Energizer bunny in a 6-8 freshman with a Wayne Simien-like body, Thomas Robinson. Self has always had a soft spot in his heart for players with toughness like Robinson's, and he insures that there's enough beef -- no pun intended -- to deal with the Longhorns up front.

The biggest mystery that I haven't resolved is whether top recruit Xavier Henry can become the third scoring option on this team. The 6-foot-6 incoming freshman has obviously gotten himself into excellent condition and looks more explosive than I remember him being in high school. He will be called on to shoot the ball with consistency and take the pressure off both Collins and Aldrich. Henry's got a great opportunity to step in for the suspended Brady Morningstar, but I am not sold on him being a one-and-done guy.

The other question I have is if sophomore Tyshawn Taylor, his high school team's fourth-leading scorer but KU's third leading scorer last season, can accept being a glue guy like Russell Robinson and Mario Chalmers were early in their careers. Taylor and Henry may both be thinking NBA, but few are better at dealing with these type of issues than Self.

Hope we do better, but third place in the B12 this season is not shameful.

One thing that absolutely gives me hope is that WW is likely the "best" player on the floor when we play these teams.

Wonder what FF would say abot OU?

if you want to crown 'em, go ahead and crown their ***.

if you want to crown 'em, go ahead and crown their ***.

yeha Fran, Crown em. LOL

Honestly, their is a big talent disparity in those two clubs and the rest of the league. Texas's only issue is how well their guys catch on whereas KU has guys already ready to go.

Honestly, their is a big talent disparity in those two clubs and the rest of the league. Texas's only issue is how well their guys catch on whereas KU has guys already ready to go.

I agree. That's the difference. Texas is relying heavily on multiple freshmen to come thru. KU is not as reliant because of Collins, Aldrich, Taylor and the Morris twins. That being said KU's freshmen by all reports are looking great in practice.

I agree. That's the difference. Texas is relying heavily on multiple freshmen to come thru. KU is not as reliant because of Collins, Aldrich, Taylor and the Morris twins. That being said KU's freshmen by all reports are looking great in practice.

Not only freshman but a couple guys (Lucas/Brown) who are talented but haven't been the greatest teammates in the past.

yeha Fran, Crown em. LOL

I disagree that there is a big talent difference between these two clubs and OU.

The Sooners have top 100 high school players in Tony Crocker, Ryan Wright, Willie Warren, Ray Willis, TMG, Tiny Gallon, Fitzgerald and Pledger. Davis and Allen have both (particularly Davis) proven to be Big XII level players. A top 100 player left OU when Cade Davis beat him out of minutes. OU adds depth with Hardrick and it is not like he is/was a horrible prospect.

I don't see the huge difference in talent at either KU or Texas that many people see and quite frankly would argue this OU is as close in talent to KU as OU has been in a long time.

OU may need more guys to step up and prove themselves but I would classify that as an experience issue more than a talent issue.

We don't have less talent necessarily, just not as much proven talent. If our guys step up we are as good as anyone in the league. If not we are pretty average. I like to think our guys will mesh early and be really good, but what do I know?

The big 12 should be the class league for 9/10. Am I correct, Nova last year finished 4th best in their league. I and many knew they were very good even before the dance. OU may be in that class, just needing some positions to solidify by late season.

It depends on your definition of huge I guess. KU won't have anyone in their Top 8 who was less than #65 in the RSCI rankings.

I agree that OU has closed the gap but the depth of high quality talent is what separates UT and KU from OU right now from that standpoint. Allen hasn't proven to be a Big 12 level player at all, and neither has Willis for that matter (in terms of in Big 12 play).

I totally disagree that OU is appreciably close in talent with Kansas, however you want to look at it. Sure, Willie is as good as anyone they've got, but you've got to figure that Crocker is likely the next leading scorer on the team this year. I'm not sure Crocker starts for KU, and even if he did I'm not sure he would be in their top 5 in scoring. Gallon nor TMG would start for them either. So three of OU's key rotation players wouldn't be significant pieces in their lineup. I think that sums it up pretty easily. Does that mean OU can't compete with them and potentially win in Lawrence or win the conference? Of course not, but to suggest that OU is starting the season from a comparable position of strength just isn't honest.

Texas is the team I think is getting a little too much love. Don't get me wrong, I think they have a load of talent on that roster, but I still think they have a ton of issues to iron out before anyone can "crown their a$$." They were a very offensively challenged team last year and they lost the only guy they had who was a serious offensive threat in Abrams. Adding Hamilton, Bradley, Lucas and Brown is certainly a major influx, but is any of them going to give them what Abrams did as a senior? I know you'll probably point out that its four guys, not one, but its still replacing minutes with minutes. Plus, the real issue facing this team is getting a point guard in there, right? Is that Lucas? Does anyone really believe Brown is a point? Plus Damion James isn't all of the sudden going to quit auditioning for the NBA this year, so he'll be wanting his minutes at the 3, and we all know that isn't a good lineup for UT. Plus, you know Mason and Balbay aren't just going to disappear from Barnes rotation either. Texas will be super athletic, deep, and rugged up front. They should be a handful defensively and on the glass, without a doubt. And they will probably be one of the 10 best teams in the country this year come March. But I don't see them being consistent enough offensively to be truly great this season.

Even saying all that about UT, OU doesn't have the kind of athletes that the Horns will throw out there this year. And OU has bigger questions to address than UT. OU has to show they can rebound and defend this year, and that is a much bigger issue that needs addressing. I think OU has an extremely high ceiling with the way all the pieces could potentially come together, but they have a lot to do to get there. KU and UT are just starting off from a much stronger postion.

it's going to be brutal playing at KU and at Texas on back to back Big Mondays toward the end of the season; whoever designed that schedule should be fired

Once again Elmo brings the heat with a fair and balanced assessment. Another post proving why you are one of the best and most knowledgeable posters on the board.
I think you are spot on.

responding to them is what you do best also.:clap

DM,

The day you learn to ignore those guys is a day that will be great for OUHoops.com. I wish you would just engage them on the smack board and let it be on here. It would save a ton of stupid arguments that nobody wants to read. I had to learn that, so I hope you will too. That's what the smack board is for!

DM,

The day you learn to ignore those guys is a day that will be great for OUHoops.com. I wish you would just engage them on the smack board and let it be on here. It would save a ton of stupid arguments that nobody wants to read. I had to learn that, so I hope you will too. That's what the smack board is for!

It's so hard. I don't even have an axe to grind with KU.......

Back