Frank Martin is a keeper - Congrat.'s KSU

buttermaker1

Reaction score
All the people that made fun of Frank Martin the last few years look foolish now, that would be most of the gawk nation. The guy can put a team together and can coach. KSU is the best team we have played this year. This KSU team is very athletic and they play together as a team.

Not sure why but I really like Martin he seems like a cool cat, you would never catch the guy wearing a bogus Rolex or sporting a rug or wearing
makeup for TV. He just seems like a straight up cool dude. He wears his emotion on his sleeve which is about as real as it gets.

Very impressive group congrat.'s Frank.

Martin deserves a lot of credit for how hard KSU plays. The majority of posters here, me included, thought he was a one trick pony who would fall flat on his face when Beasley and Walker left. But the angry Italian has proven he can do more than recruit. He's a much better coach and motivator than most of us thought he'd ever be.

Frank Martin certainly has proven me wrong. He's a heckuva coach.
Plus, I kind of like the guy. :)

Martin deserves a lot of credit for how hard KSU plays. The majority of posters here, me included, thought he was a one trick pony who would fall flat on his face when Beasley and Walker left. But the angry Italian has proven he can do more than recruit. He's a much better coach and motivator than most of us thought he'd ever be.

This is a legit top 10 team.

All the people that made fun of Frank Martin the last few years look foolish now, that would be most of the gawk nation.

thanks.

it may be petty. in fact, i'm sure it is petty. but, kstate's success really is more enjoyable, at least for me, because of all the posters on various big 12 message boards that trashed martin during the beasley year.

good game, btw. i thought ou played with a lot of energy in the first half.

thanks.

it may be petty. in fact, i'm sure it is petty. but, kstate's success really is more enjoyable, at least for me, because of all the posters on various big 12 message boards that trashed martin during the beasley year.

good game, btw. i thought ou played with a lot of energy in the first half.

Considering we had no Warren and 4 fr played a ton its not surprisng, KSU is legit and Clemente palyed like a NBA guy tonight. His nosebleed 3's buried us.

actually ada I think quite a few people like(d) Martin.

sys don't you think Martin has grown a ton as a coach....in part, IMO, because of that year. I think he deserved to get trashed that year. That team was a huge disappoint. Watching Beasley, Walker and Pullen argue and yell at each other all the time while Martin kind of let them run over him was bad. That team had huge talent and way underachieved and just fell apart.
I think he's come a long way since then and that's a credit to him. He doesn't allow that junk anymore. I like Frank Martin.

actually ada I think quite a few people like(d) Martin.

A lot of people liked him, coolm. But quite a few doubted his ability to be successful in the post Beasley era, and that list included me. Boy, was I wrong.

I love the energy and fire he brings to the game. But I appreciate his ability to demand and get a maximum performance out of his players even more.

sys don't you think Martin has grown a ton as a coach....in part, IMO, because of that year. I think he deserved to get trashed that year. That team was a huge disappoint. Watching Beasley, Walker and Pullen argue and yell at each other all the time while Martin kind of let them run over him was bad. That team had huge talent and way underachieved and just fell apart.
I think he's come a long way since then and that's a credit to him. He doesn't allow that junk anymore. I like Frank Martin.

nope, not at all. martin yells at his players. they yell at each other. they can yell at him if they like. that hasn't changed, and it works for him and his teams.

i can't believe you still think that team was a disappointment. do some research on the success of teams led by freshmen. not to mention that the team had absolutely no depth (not even 5 legit big 12 players).

and you're still delusional if you think that team ran over martin.

A lot of people liked him, coolm. But quite a few doubted his ability to be successful in the post Beasley era, and that list included me. Boy, was I wrong.

I love the energy and fire he brings to the game. But I appreciate his ability to demand and get a maximum performance out of his players even more.

Well said. Exactly how I feel. I doubt he could get it done and the traits you said is exactly what I love about him. Plus I like his honesty with the media. He's a cool cat.

nope, not at all. martin yells at his players. they yell at each other. they can yell at him if they like. that hasn't changed, and it works for him and his teams.
i can't believe you still think that team was a disappointment. do some research on the success of teams led by freshmen. not to mention that the team had absolutely no depth (not even 5 legit big 12 players).
and you're still delusional if you think that team ran over martin.

Sorry but his team don't act the way THAT team did. Walker and Beasley were out of control. You could see it on the court. You may be a little to close. And yes that team underachieved. Teams win with freshmen all the time these days. Look at Kentucky. That team was 10-6 in conference. That team lost 1st round in the Big 12 tourney. That team got blown out in the 2nd round of the NCAA's. And your kidding yourself if you think they didn't have 5 Big 12 players.

Sorry but his team don't act the way THAT team did. Walker and Beasley were out of control. You could see it on the court. You may be a little to close. And yes that team underachieved. Teams win with freshmen all the time these days. Look at Kentucky. That team was 10-6 in conference. That team lost 1st round in the Big 12 tourney. That team got blown out in the 2nd round of the NCAA's. And your kidding yourself if you think they didn't have 5 Big 12 players.

for every uk there are five ou, unc, uf (last couple years), etc.

you may be a little too far away to recall the players on that team. stewart was horrible (no offense tulsa area reps), young had no offense, there wasn't a single player on the team that was an above average on ball defender, colon and kent were colon and kent (but younger and worse). sutton played half a year and couldn't shoot past 6 feet.

just cause you didn't like walker's attitude doesn't mean martin didn't. he loved everything walker brought to the team. not just his talent, everything.

and lol @ the idea that beasley was out of control.

and lol @ the idea that beasley was out of control.

You're probably right. He probably just started smokin' and acting crazy his rookie year. :dance005:
The way that team finished the season the last dozen or so games was a joke. They fell apart at the seems and the yelling and fighting just intensified. You aren't freshmen anymore come late Feb/March.
Let's just agree to disagree.

For what it's worth, the angry Italian is actually of Cuban decent.

I always considered Martin a good coach, but questioned how he'd do after Beasley left because I didn't know how he'd recruit. I still would be interested in seeing how he'd do without Delonte Hill and the DC Assault connection (although I'll grant him Pullen and Clemente... those two are his guys, not Hill's).

He sure has made a bunch of you guys look stupid. Scott Drew seems to be doing that to a bunch of us too (including me on that one).

Martin has definitely been better than I thought he would be.

I'm not ready to say that about Drew. Let's see what Baylor is doing in 2-3 years. Putting together one "decent" team isn't exactly "proving anybody wrong", IMO.

Martin has definitely been better than I thought he would be.

I'm not ready to say that about Drew. Let's see what Baylor is doing in 2-3 years. Putting together one "decent" team isn't exactly "proving anybody wrong", IMO.

I will agree with that, but I was a big supporter of the Scott Drew is the worst coach in the Big XII Club.

McDermott is the clear worst coach in the Big 12 IMO.

After him, it's probably Knight.

Those are the only two guys who I'd really consider bad coaches at this point (if you can separate coaching and recruiting).

I love the group of athletes he has put together on his roster.

Back