Keith "Tiny" Gallon

OSU

Karron Johnson*

Texas

Avery Bradley
Jordan Hamilton

KSU

Wally Judge

There are several other really good players coming into the league next year, but due to lack of playing time, I don't think they will have much a chance at Freshman of the year. Johnson would be a good candidate if he qualifies and makes it into stillwater. The guy will start from day one.

I think it will be Avery Bradley or Tiny Gallon. Who do you think will win it, or has the best chance to win it?

Avery or Gallon. Both have to fill twenty point voids.

I think Bradley's ability to defend will give him an edge in the voting among the coaches and he will win a close one over Tiny.

I think we ll have 2 solid contributors who can be potential stars in Tiny and TMG but as much as it pains me to say it Bradley seems like he can be be really special. Playing on semi pro AAU teams pretending to be some sort of high schools will only help him and Tiny adjust quicker to Big 12 level ball.

What about that guy for Iowa State?

Chris Colvin? I think he has a chance, but without Brackins, I doubt that team will make enough noise to get him the award over the others unless he is just a monster.

I predict the winner of the 2010 big 12 FOY will be gallons of fun to watch. :p

how about best non-top 40 or so freshman?

last years award could have gone to taylor (ku), samuels (ksu), english (mu)

btw, i like this guy alot.

http://www.aggieathletics.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/loubeau_david00.html

for next year, my candidates are

pledger (i'm on an ou site, need to include an ou player or yall will get angry), mcgruder (ksu, big time scorer in hs, some doubt it will transfer to college), Hibbert (atm, atm will need a shooter to replace dr. carter) random nu player (you know, that random nu player), colvin (probably the winner of this random category)

triplefatty, I agree with you on Loubeau. If he dedicates himself this summer, I think he could be VERY good next year. A&M is going to be stacked in the post with Loubeau, Elonu & Davis

“I coached Stephon Marbury and Sebastian Telfair, and I said that Lance Stephenson was going to be better than them. I’m telling you that Karron (Johnson) can do in college what Michael Beasley did and do it better. Karron can play both ends of the court.”
-Coach Black on OSU's Karron Johnson

Thats pretty high praise for Karron Johnson....

I would say the candidates are Xavier Henry, Karron Johnson, Keith Gallon, Wally Judge, and Avery Bradley.

Travis Ford said in The Daily Oklahoman today that he doesn't know if Karron Johnson will qualify.

The question is with the dismissal of Kirkland. Does OSU hold Johnsons scholarship until the 2nd semester. I'd say Ford has to if Johnson is a Beasley type talent.

“I coached Stephon Marbury and Sebastian Telfair, and I said that Lance Stephenson was going to be better than them. I’m telling you that Karron (Johnson) can do in college what Michael Beasley did and do it better. Karron can play both ends of the court.”
-Coach Black on OSU's Karron Johnson

If i had a $ everytime a coach said something like that i would be a rich man. Better than Beasley? I doubt it.

Travis Ford answer when asked about Karron Johnson...

"Karron is an interesting individual. If you sit in a room with him, you would absolutely fall in love with him. But he has had no stability — none — in his life. And people have used him so much, from an early age. I talked to his mom about it, and his mom fully grasps it … But he has got some work to do academically. But we always have known. When you know his whole background and you know what he has been through, you want to give him a chance, and he’s obviously very, very, very good. We got to know him as a person, and he’s somebody that we think we can help. We are the type people he needs to play for. Hopefully, he will get that chance, and hopefully, we will get that chance."

The question is with the dismissal of Kirkland. Does OSU hold Johnsons scholarship until the 2nd semester. I'd say Ford has to if Johnson is a Beasley type talent.

Johnson is hte equivalent to Terrence Boyd on and off the court.

Last edited:
I think it will be Avery Bradley. He is the most complete player entering the league and into a situation where they will need him to score. I think Gallon is going to be terrific as well but Bradley will have a WW type season, imo, and may end up the NFOY.

I think WW will play the point and TMG will come off the bench. But, if as most assume, TMG starts at the point for OU, then I think he will be big 12 freshman of the year. We are sure to finish in the top 4 in the big 12 next year, and if TMG starts and plays 30 mpg, then he will be the most high profile and important freshman in the league. I guess I just have a different opinion of Bradley than most. I think he is good and will be a good college player, but I don't see him as dominant, at least not early on. He isn't durant, beasley or WW good in my opinion. I think some get taken up with how well kids look in a hully gully AAU type game where nobody plays defense and kids can be and are actually encouraged to be completely selfish on offense. Avery is good but I think it will take him a year or two to develop. I don't think he is nearly strong enough to operate off the dribble in the paint in high D-1, but we will see. As always, I'm probably wrong.

Back