From ESPN the Magazine

Reaction score
"Poor Jeff Capel. Even when Oklahoma wins, he loses. Says on Big 12 coach: "Jeff told me this is the worst coaching experience he's ever had, because winning reinforces the habits that make a few of his guys uncoachable."

Good thing we don't have to worry about it if we're on the road.

Who do you think those "few" are? Now maybe some of you will get off my back on my Tiny comments. He just about HAS to be one of the ones Jeff was talking about.

Who do you think those "few" are? Now maybe some of you will get off my back on my Tiny comments. He just about HAS to be one of the ones Jeff was talking about.

Sounds like Tiny, Willie, Willis, maybe TMG to an extent.

Sounds like Tiny, Willie, Willis, maybe TMG to an extent.

I probably would have included TMG in that two months ago. While he has been slow to come around, I've been more pleased of late with his play, and that doesn't just mean the scoring. Is he truly coachable/uncoachable? I don't know, I'd need to see the practices with him.

Capel needs to nut up. If they're not coachable, send them on their way. Flame away.

my question would be, how can you not know? you spend all this time recruiting them, how can you not know they aren't coach-able, or won't do the things you need them to do. It's a pretty sad statement that the coach doesn't like to win (paraphrase) because it reinforces poor habits. Then next question then becomes, where do you go from here? where can you go?

Capel needs to nut up. If they're not coachable, send them on their way. Flame away.

Yep. Ships are renewed each year. If they think they are bigger than the program send them packing.

He could pull a Kurt Budke and get rid of all the ones that are not players.

In all honesty, how badly would everyone here crucify Coach if he got rid of everyone right now during the year. We would have 5 guys left one the team, and one of them is Beau Gerber. He has missed on recruits but he still has to fill a roster. Now in the off season if he can find 8 - 10 guys that want to play the right way then do it. But that is one hell of a recruiting class

It appears that evaluation of players is one of his MAJOR shortcomings of all his skills as a coach. It appears he's going after the hype, which we all applaud on the effort, instead of the pieces his teams need. Its ok to have these type of train wrecks of seasons when you are UNC and don't have to worry about attracting and signing top talent across the board, but to put all of your eggs in the basket of highly touted recruits, and then miss on them, while neglecting the glue guys is not a winning proposition.

Back