Gottlieb calls out Willie Warren

Sooner23

Reaction score
Unfortunately it's an ESPN Insider article. Anyone have access? Here's what non-members can read.........

• Why is Oklahoma so dysfunctional? The conversation should start and end with Willie Warren. Some had Warren as a possible lottery pick had he come out last year, and Fran Fraschilla and I bought his new-and-improved act, despite his reputation as a malcontent...

Here's the link..........

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-col...ge-basketball/blog?name=ncbexperts&id=4927877

Interesting quotes from Big 12 coaches in the article on Willie coming back.
Don't count on it, say a few coaches in the Big 12.

"No way he comes back," said one.

"Is that really a good thing for Jeff?" says another.

If he really is the cancer, then he needs to go. We can only hope that it hasn't spread to the younger guys, but it appears that it already has.

I don't know WW and have nothing against the kid but losing him will be addition by subtration, imo.

He set the tone in Alaska when JC benched him and it has been downhill from that point on.

He probably has plans to play overseas, I hope he matures and understands it is not all about him.

So a former player turned analyst, and a couple of current coaches are saying the same thing a few posters have been saying for a couple of months?

Inconceivable.

I think alot of our problems start with Willie. He might not be the root of all of them, but he's the start of a lot of 'em. Hope he finds a way to get drafted this year.

So a former player turned analyst, and a couple of current coaches are saying the same thing a few posters have been saying for a couple of months?

Inconceivable.

I think alot of our problems start with Willie. He might not be the root of all of them, but he's the start of a lot of 'em. Hope he finds a way to get drafted this year.
It is amazing isn't it? ;)

It is pretty easy for Doug and coaches to say bad things about WW. He has little to no chance of being around on a long term basies and won't be given an opportunity to defend himself.

Control and attitude start with the head coach. If it is just WW fault, then why doesn't Capel suspend WW. WW won the only road game this team has won.

What is it about Willie that is supposedly causing so much trouble for the team? I don't understand what he could be doing that is so bad. Is he telling the other players not to play hard or care?

It is pretty easy for Doug and coaches to say bad things about WW. He has little to no chance of being around on a long term basies and won't be given an opportunity to defend himself.

Control and attitude start with the head coach. If it is just WW fault, then why doesn't Capel suspend WW. WW won the only road game this team has won.

Thanks Boca.

Good post.

The fact some of these posters here somehow feel vindicated that Doug Gottlieb (a cheat) agrees with them that WW is the reason we are struggling is a bit odd, at best. And nevermind some idiot coach, who should be worried about his own team. If I were Capel, I would try to figure out who that coach was and call him out, if not worse. No other coach is going to make comments about my players.

Last edited:
I think there is room to blame the coach and the player.

Doug is in the business now. Guys like that get ratings when they stir stuff up. Heck it got a thread on this board.

He stirs stuff up about us too. I don't put too much stock into what Doug writes. But it would be interesting to know which coaches are saying stuff like that about Warren. I don't think coaches should be dogging other teams players.

that Doug Gottlieb (a cheat)...

Yeah... because the fact that Gottlieb snached a credit card 15 years ago when he was 19 years old really should be a factor when discussing his present-day analysis of college basketball.

Good post.

The fact some of these posters here somehow feel vindicated that Doug Gottlieb (a cheat) agrees with them that WW is the reason we are struggling is a bit odd, at best. And nevermind some idiot coach, who should be worried about his own team. If I were Capel, I would try to figure out who that coach was and call him out, if not worse. No other coach is going to make comments about my players.

That is the biggest problem that I have with that article. I like Doug a lot as an analyst I think he is ESPN's best analyst but for him to put quotes from other coaches practically ripping a 20 year old without even knowing him or being around him everyday just doesn't seem right.

Capel and his staff are the ones who know him and see him everyday whether its in practice or in teem meetings. We all agree that Willie has had some attitude problems this season with his pouting and what not but for Doug to come right out and say that he is the sole reason why this OU team is having the season it is having sounds ridiculous to me. As you said Playmakr I hope Jeff comes out and defends his player over some of these comments. Willie has a right to defend himself as well so if he wants to comment on it then he should be given the right to do so.

Yeah... because the fact that Gottlieb snached a credit card 15 years ago when he was 19 years old really should be a factor when discussing his present-day analysis of college basketball.

Well when you're calling a 19 year old the sole reason why OU is dysfunctional and struggling so much, maybe you should do some more research before going so far to say such things. For all anyone knows WW could be a part of the problem, but not the entire reason. Gottlieb was in WW's shoes before (regarding being misunderstood), so maybe he should be more sensitive and cautious to the situation.

That is the biggest problem that I have with that article. I like Doug a lot as an analyst I think he is ESPN's best analyst but for him to put quotes from other coaches practically ripping a 20 year old without even knowing him or being around him everyday just doesn't seem right.

Exactly. I think Doug's a great analyst, but don't make such extreme statements about a young player when you, nor any of the coaches you're using as sources, knows the entire situation. Especially when you've been in that tough of a position at that age and knows what its like to have false assumptions about you.

Back