Gottlieb, Katz have their latest Preseason Top 25's out

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gottlieb has OU 5th:

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/insider/news/story?id=4106855

Willie Warren and Tony Crocker will make the transition for incoming freshmen Tommy Mason-Griffin and Keith "Tiny" Gallon easier. If Juan Pattillo contributes, then Boomer Sooner. While forward Blake Griffin is impossible to replace, the Sooners appear to be better at every other position next season in terms of raw talent.

Katz has OU 12th:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=4105841

The Sooners shoot up six spots from my previous poll, even with the expected announcement from Blake Griffin that he was entering the NBA draft. The top reasons for the climb are the return of Willie Warren on the perimeter and the buzz surrounding newcomers Keith "Tiny" Gallon and Tommy Mason-Griffin. OU should head a second group in the Big 12 behind Kansas and Texas.

wow, 5th? gottdweeb always seems to be pretty rational too.

i'll take the 12 spot and see how conference play goes. i think this year will really test Capel's coaching/development abilities. now he's got some of his talent, how does it all fit together?

OU will either look like a team full of diaper-dandies or a wild, unorganized team.

I think OU is overrated right now. I would rate them between 20-25 at this point in time.

I think 12-16 is more realistic, but I trust Gottlieb's opinion over mine. He has six teams in his Top 25, including OSU at 21, while Katz just has Kansas, Texas and OU in his.

I love that he (Andy Katz) has Tulsa at 23!

At this point, I'm not sure where we should be. I just know we should not be any lower than 20.. maybe even 15.

I love Gottlieb, but that seems way too high right now...have to see how the young guys develop in the non-conference. Realistic or not, good to see the program such high praise this early in the off-season.

I think OU is overrated right now. I would rate them between 20-25 at this point in time.

I agree. Blake Griffin played a huge factor in every win. Even with Blake, OU didn't blow out many teams in conference. Everybody in the conference is getting better and OU at best takes a small step back.

I am sure Gottlieb is going to catch some flack for having 3 big 12 teams in his Top 5, while he may be wrong as I don't see Texas or us that good right now if you changed Big 12 to Big East or ACC not a single person would have a complaint with it.

Last edited:

People were saying the exact same thing last year when Slam had us 3rd and Rivals had us 7th.

Who really knows at this point? We have the talent and actually have quite a bit of depth. It is really hard to tell with inexperienced talent.

I would probably put us around 15 to start the year.

I don't know about A&M and OSU being in there but I would say both are top 35 teams at this point.

I don't know about A&M and OSU being in there but I would say both are top 35 teams at this point.

OSU is like a donut, nothing in the middle. A&M could win the south if they return the three guys.

A while back I heard Gottlieb on the radio and he was raving about OU's recruiting class. He said something to the effect that Tiny was going to be a superstar. He was a lot better than what he envisioned and was very impressed with Tiny as well as our other recruits.

A&M could win the south if they return the three guys.

my critique has more to do with turgeon than their players. BJ holmes will make them a dangerous team though. I think he will be above and beyond the shooter for them that carter was.

Turgeon is a fine coach. No less of a coach that Drew, Ford, Knight, or anyone else. Seeing BJ Holmes chop up OSU on a couple occasions I'm sure you impressed with him. I like him too, but not convinced he can run the point. He should fill the void of Josh Carter.

That sounds about right to me. We could be starting 2 freshmen and Crocker as well as Cade have been inconsistent.

Why is OU overrated? To my knowledge this will be the first time in history OU will have 3 McD AA in its starting line-up. OU will have Crocker (3 years starting experience, consensus top 100 player) on the wing with those three guys and probably a very athletic Juan Pattillo (Juco AA) at the 4.

The bench is going to have Top 100 players Ray Willis, Stephen Pledger, Larry Fitzgerald and Ryan Wright. Additionally, proven contributors Cade Davis and Orlondo Allen will join those guys. Add to that a top 150 guy in Hardrick.

On paper this is easily one of the most talented OU teams ever, including last year. I just don't see why OU fans would not complain that Katz did not rank OU high enough rather than Gotlieb ranking them too high. Don't take this the wrong way because I don't know which guy is right (and I hope they both have OU too low) but I would think OU fans would be positive. We have to believe before the rest of the country will believe.

Why is OU overrated?

Because the conference is loaded and OU is very young... OU will be putting the youngest point guard in the conference out there, along with two new starters in the post. Sure, they are really talented but I see them having trouble winning on the road.

OU was great on the road last year, going 6-2 in Big 12 play. I think you will see that drop to something like 3-5 or 4-4 this year.

Because the conference is loaded and OU is very young... OU will be putting the youngest point guard in the conference out there, along with two new starters in the post. Sure, they are really talented but I see them having trouble winning on the road.

OU was great on the road last year, going 6-2 in Big 12 play. I think you will see that drop to something like 3-5 or 4-4 this year.

I think you are underestimating Willie ability and experience to play the point (especially on the road and during the clutch). That will win us an extra game on the road or two.

I think we go 5-3 on the road next year.

This might be kind of a strange comparison, but I think we will look a little something like the Suns. With a true PG like TMG and Capel's offense, we are going to be really hard to stop. The key is if we commit to D, we will surprise many people including our own fans.

Back