Gottlieb, Katz have their latest Preseason Top 25's out

For those saying that the rankings are way overrated (and I agree with you at least for a preseason poll), please tell me that you don't mind having our name out there?!

Its great pub to have guys list us that high and to think that highly of our recruiting class.

For those saying that the rankings are way overrated (and I agree with you at least for a preseason poll), please tell me that you don't mind having our name out there?!

Its great pub to have guys list us that high and to think that highly of our recruiting class.
To me, it's a little like a two edged sword. If we start out with a high ranking, it looks bad if we fall back to 15th or 20th. But, if we start out around 20th or 25th and climb to 10th, that's impressive!

I agree with you that it is great pub but it's also hard to live up to, especially when we are going to be young. So, I guess I am going to straddle the fence on this one. :)

To me, it's a little like a two edged sword. If we start out with a high ranking, it looks bad if we fall back to 15th or 20th. But, if we start out around 20th or 25th and climb to 10th, that's impressive!

I agree with you that it is great pub but it's also hard to live up to, especially when we are going to be young. So, I guess I am going to straddle the fence on this one. :)

That is just crazy. About 4 years ago or so, KU started out with a high ranking and had a very average team. They road that ranking to a pretty good NCAA seed, benefited from some upsets and made the Great 8. Starting out high is way better than starting out low. If that same KU started the season unranked they would probably would have been a bubble team and most likely been out of the tournament way earlier.

While it might be hard to live up to (and it might end up disappointing the fans), you just can't buy that kind of free national pub for the team and the future recruiting.

I want all the expectations in the world on this team. It sells tickets and gets people talking.

While it might be hard to live up to (and it might end up disappointing the fans), you just can't buy that kind of free national pub for the team and the future recruiting.

I want all the expectations in the world on this team. It sells tickets and gets people talking.

exactly and we should not be whinning about being overrated. Do you think UNC fans or KU fans say they are overrated to start the season?

I think OU is overrated right now. I would rate them between 20-25 at this point in time.

Look around, nobody is just clearly head and shoulders better than us. If Willie makes a big improvement from year 1 to 2 and TMG and Tiny and others do their jobs, we could be really good. Some people just want to be cautious and assume because we lost Blake that we don't deserve to be rated this high. But look at the other rosters, they are not that impressive folks. We are without question a top 15 team IMO and I have no problem with anyone ranking us in the top 10 right now. 5 is pretty generous but if Texas is 2nd or 3rd than we don't deserve to be much lower.

How many other teams have 3 McDonald's All Americans on their roster? I think Willie will be 1st team All American next year and Tiny and TMG will be very good come Big 12 time.

College bball is WIDE OPEN next year!

Last edited:
I'm interested to see what Big O can bring to the table in '09. He looked completely lost to begin the season, but somehow he stepped in the tourney, when wright and pattillo had picked up two fouls each in two minutes, and picked up a block and a couple of rebounds. If Big O can come in for a few solid minutes every game that will help take a lot of pressure off of Tiny and Juan.

exactly and we should not be whinning about being overrated. Do you think UNC fans or KU fans say they are overrated to start the season?

I don't see anyone "whining" that we are overrated...just stating their opinon why a #5 preseason ranking is way too high. I love the publicity too, shows that in the off-season that the college basketball syndicates are looking to Norman to check up on the Sooners.

Out of all the names mentioned above, only two have been proven contributors in the past, Crocker and Willie. Everyone else is either unproven at the collegiate level or highly inconsistent. Patillo had some good games, but disappeared in others, Orlando barely played, Willis never played and Cade barely got any run down the stretch (and let's be honest, is getting recruited over). I don't think there is any doubt that TMG and Gallon will have a significant impact on this team, but they're still freshmen, and it takes time to adjust to this level. Pledger and Fitz (for all our expectations) are wildcards, can they contribute right away?

Listen, I love the high ranking because it is getting our name out there, but there is just too many question marks to give us a top 5 ranking in the preseason, Gottlieb is smoking dope.

I think somewhere between 5 & 12 is spot on. OU has a ton of talent. I think TMG will do wonders for this team. Having a good PG that can control a game and puts pressure on the defense is key.

I like the high ranking because it forces our players to work their butts off in the off-season to live up to the hype.

I really expect Willie to become a force next season. Certainly, his game is way different than Blake's, but I've been thinking that he could raise his level of play up to a point where he gets POY discussion. Would anyone really be surprised if Willie averaged over 20 points a game? Beyond that, he's a clutch shooter. He's going to get a lot of positive pub, believe it.

If Willie becomes dominant and the rest of the players do their jobs as top 100 basketball players, then why can't OU be a top 10 team? Have we gotten so used to being an upper-mid Big 12 team that we just can't believe?

I like the high ranking because it forces our players to work their butts off in the off-season to live up to the hype.

I really expect Willie to become a force next season. Certainly, his game is way different than Blake's, but I've been thinking that he could raise his level of play up to a point where he gets POY discussion. Would anyone really be surprised if Willie averaged over 20 points a game? Beyond that, he's a clutch shooter. He's going to get a lot of positive pub, believe it.

If Willie becomes dominant and the rest of the players do their jobs as top 100 basketball players, then why can't OU be a top 10 team? Have we gotten so used to being an upper-mid Big 12 team that we just can't believe?

Good post. I hope that Willie takes the high expectations as a challenge. :OUbball-logo:

I'm not even worried about what the ranking is. All I want to see early in the season is good team chemistry and hard work from the whole team. If we get this we will have the ability to be ranked where we want to be. I truly believe the addition of a true point guard will help this team tremendously. Then with WW playing the two. What a backcourt it will be. Both guards are able to lead by example with their play on the court. If Tony can be more consistent and have a very good year we will be in very good shape. Coach Cline and Coach Capel will make it very clear to Tiny that he is a very key piece to the puzzle and that he has to work hard to be the player he wants to be. This will sound crazy, but this team has the ability to be a better overall team than this past years team. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

This will sound crazy, but this team has the ability to be a better overall team than this past years team.

You're crazy! No, we'll see. I think this team could finish anywhere from 3rd to 6th in the Big 12 depending on how much of an impact Tiny and TMG make. It's gonna be a fun ride though.

You're crazy! No, we'll see. I think this team could finish anywhere from 3rd to 6th in the Big 12 depending on how much of an impact Tiny and TMG make. It's gonna be a fun ride though.

I would say 2-6 is our realistic span. Texas isn't a lock for the second spot.

I would say 2-6 is our realistic span. Texas isn't a lock for the second spot.

I would say 1-6 is our realistic span. Just look at last year, where we were widely considered the favorite to win the conference, yet we end up getting 2nd to a Kansas team that was on a down year. Many will consider this to be a "down year" compared to last year, for OU, but that does not mean we will not perform well.

Back