Heard an interesting and intriguing name tonight

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You guys who have been around here a while know I don't post much and I've never tried to portray myself as an insider because I'm simply not.

That being said, I heard an interesting new name from ... a guy I know who knows some people who know some people who might be in a position to know some things that are going on. That kind of thing. :D

This particular source who initiated this, who isn't connected with OU, was hearing that there may be some interest in some NBA assistants with the possible top name being Jim Cleamons.

If that name sounds familiar, it's because it is. Cleamons has been Phil Jackson's right hand man with the Bulls and the Lakers for several years. He had a brief stint as the head coach of the Dallas Mavericks in the mid-90s and was also an assistant for the Hornets during their year in Oklahoma City.

Berry Tramel actually wrote an article about him possibly being a candidate for the OU job on March 18, but I'll have more on that below.

He was born in North Carolina and played his college ball at Ohio State and had a nine-year playing career in the NBA with four different teams (Lakers, Cavaliers, Knicks, and the Washington Bullets).

Again, I have no idea if this is just a rumor or if there's serious interest here, but it seems like the outside-the-box type of splash hire that Castiglione likes to make.

Cleamons is a guy who's coached and learned the game under Phil Jackson for years, has lots of flashy NBA championship rings to show recruits, and would no doubt bring an impressive rolodex of contacts with him. I would imagine his staff would be interesting too.

The drawback is that he turns 62 in September, and would also have to leave the Lakers a month before the playoffs begin. So now the question is: would Cleamons be interested in coaching in college? And, interestingly enough, the answer is yes according to a quote from him in Tramel's article:

Earlier this year, Cleamons told the Los Angeles Times he would like to return to college coaching (he coached at Youngstown State in 1987-89).

“I want to go back to where I started,” Cleamons said. “I want to pass on the knowledge I have to the next generation. I'm not saying I have the penicillin cure for all, but I've been blessed to be around some outstanding coaches ... I know a system that works incredibly well.”

One more time, I'm not sure if there's serious interest here yet from OU, but it was a name tossed around from someone that might know some people who would know. Personally, the fact that we're hearing about coaches like Pastner, Rose, Kruger being contacted leads me to believe Castiglione is gunning for a college guy.

Still, Cleamons' name was being tossed around at the Final Four in Houston today regarding the OU job, and I thought it was interesting to mention. So again, take it for what it's worth.

Below is his current bio on NBA.com. And click here to read Tramel's article about him on March 18.

http://www.nba.com/coachfile/jim_cleamons/index.html?nav=page

As a rookie guard on the legendary 1971-72 Lakers NBA Championship team that won a professional sports record 33 consecutive games, Jim Cleamons served mostly an ancillary role, seeing limited playing time on a team filled with future Hall-of-Famers the likes of Wilt Chamberlain, Gail Goodrich and Jerry West.

However, upon his return to Los Angeles 28 years later, Cleamons' impact has been much more profound, serving as an assistant coach and helping guide the Lakers to five championships in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009 and 2010.

After reuniting prior to the 1999-2000 season with both the Lakers and head coach Phil Jackson, whom he served as an assistant coach under for seven seasons with the Chicago Bulls, Cleamons once again rejoined the Lakers and Jackson for the 2006-07 campaign and is now entering his 10th season as an assistant with the team.

Following his fifth season on the Lakers coaching staff in 2003-04, Cleamons joined the New Orleans Hornets and served as an assistant coach under former Laker Byron Scott for two seasons (2004-06). Prior to both the Hornets and Lakers, Cleamons was a member of the Bulls coaching staff from 1989-96, helping lead Chicago to four NBA titles in 1991, 1992, 1993 and 1996. In his seven years with Chicago, the Bulls compiled a record of 414-160 (.721).

In May of 1996, Cleamons left the Bulls and was named head coach of the Dallas Mavericks where he stayed for a year-and-a-half, compiling a 28-72 record. Before joining the Lakers staff, Cleamons spent the 1998-99 season as the head coach of the Chicago Condors professional women's team that played in the now defunct American Basketball League.

After registering career averages of 18.5 points and 7.3 rebounds per game at Ohio State University, Cleamons was selected by the Lakers with the 13th overall pick in the first round of the 1971 NBA Draft. After one season with the Lakers, Cleamons was traded for a future draft pick to the Cleveland Cavaliers where he played for five seasons. Cleamons spent the next two-and-a-half seasons with the New York Knicks where he was a teammate of Phil Jackson in 1977-78 before finishing the 1979-80 season with Washington. Throughout his NBA journey, Cleamons' teammates have included Wilt Chamberlain, Jerry West and Lenny Wilkens while he has played under coaches such as Bill Sharman, K.C. Jones, Bill Fitch, **** Motta and Red Holzman.

A member of the Ohio Basketball Hall of Fame’s Class of 2008, Cleamons and his wife Cheryl reside in Manhattan Beach with their two daughters, Imani and Rose.

Re: Heard a very interesting and intriguing name tonight

Someone tell me what to think about this

Haha.... Thanks for the shot at me. I can dig it!

He also fits the bill of a coach to come in, clean up this mess and hand it off to somebody in 5-7 years in much better shape than when he found it.

This could be very interesting if he would bring Terry Evans on staff.

Someone tell me what to think about this

:ez-laugh::ez-laugh::ez-laugh:

I wish he were 10 years younger.

That's a hire I would be really excited about.

credit to glory for dropping his name in a thread the other day.

but this would be an awfully difficult transition to make. wouldn't he want to hold out for a possible tony dungy/jim caldwell transition when phil retires after this year?

Would be nice if Kobe stopped by to visit his good friend and mentor Jim Cleamons when recruits are in town...

I would love to see Cleamons at OU! His background as a coach in college and the pros, plus the name recognition on a national scale would make him an instant success as a recruiter. Any kid with half a brain would give their eye teeth to play for someone who learned from a coach like Phil Jackson and rubbed shoulders with Kobe, Shaq and all of the great players who have played for the Lakers in the last few years.

Heck yeah, Joe C.! Get it done if you can!!!

I really don't know how to feel with this. Are we falling in love with another guy because he has a recruiting "gimmick", like we thought Capel had?

I would love to see Cleamons at OU! His background as a coach in college and the pros, plus the name recognition on a national scale would make him an instant success as a recruiter. Any kid with half a brain would give their eye teeth to play for someone who learned from a coach like Phil Jackson and rubbed shoulders with Kobe, Shaq and all of the great players who have played for the Lakers in the last few years.

Heck yeah, Joe C.! Get it done if you can!!!
Dayum! I am getting old. I remember watching Cleamons play at tOSU. What about having a connection to the region?

I really don't know how to feel with this. Are we falling in love with another guy because he has a recruiting "gimmick", like we thought Capel had?

I think experience coaching NBA superstars on multiple title-winning teams trumps listening to Jay-Z.

Put it this way, I do the latter, I haven't done the former.

I just see it as another "risk" hire and I'm not sure we can afford to take that risk right now.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvfGAyLSJ_o[/ame]

Just do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back