How good is the Big 12 this year?

Chaser728

Reaction score
I will preface my question with this...
Last night I took my father-in-law deep into enemy territory. He is a huge KU fan and so I took him to Phog Allen for his Christmas present. A side note: I had a great time and really enjoyed the experience at the Phog! Wow, what a crowd! Anyways, I watched something very interesting...KU looked beatable. I mean the game was still in doubt at 2 minutes left in the game... Had Elijah Johnson not hit a big jumper, the game could have been a 5 point difference with under a minute. This is a team that settles for jump shots, has poor perimeter defense and really has only one guy who can play around the basket. Oh, and by the way, they do not seem to be very deep. I think Maclemore is going to be a very good one and Withey will dictate teams on the inside defensively. However, both disappeared at times last night and they looked very mediocre.

You know last year before every big 12 game would have the feeling that there is no way we would win, unless the team was Texas Tech. This year seeing TU going down to Chaminade and Baylor loosing at home to Charelston, I am a ton more confident. Man what a difference a year makes!

So, here is my question: What is this Conferences' ceiling?

I will preface my question with this...
Last night I took my father-in-law deep into enemy territory. He is a huge KU fan and so I took him to Phog Allen for his Christmas present. A side note: I had a great time and really enjoyed the experience at the Phog! Wow, what a crowd! Anyways, I watched something very interesting...KU looked beatable. I mean the game was still in doubt at 2 minutes left in the game... Had Elijah Johnson not hit a big jumper, the game could have been a 5 point difference with under a minute. This is a team that settles for jump shots, has poor perimeter defense and really has only one guy who can play around the basket. Oh, and by the way, they do not seem to be very deep. I think Maclemore is going to be a very good one and Withey will dictate teams on the inside defensively. However, both disappeared at times last night and they looked very mediocre.

You know last year before every big 12 game would have the feeling that there is no way we would win, unless the team was Texas Tech. This year seeing TU going down to Chaminade and Baylor loosing at home to Charelston, I am a ton more confident. Man what a difference a year makes!

So, here is my question: What is this Conferences' ceiling?

No elite teams this year. Kansas, Kansas St., and Baylor were obviously going to be down quite a bit from last year. OSU and OU are both better, OSU looking significantly so. Iowa St. figures to be decent, and Tech, WVU, and TCU will all be pretty bad.

Overall, a way down year for the Big XII.

Every team is beatable on any given night IMO

We'll know just how good OSU is when we take on Gonzaga in a month. Should be a couple of top 10 teams

ISU, WVU, Baylor, Texas, and KU are all notably less talented than last year. Tech was horrible last year. KSU only lost one player but they lost to OU twice last year. OSU has no front court or would appear to have no front court. I think TCU is going to be bad.

I don't see a single team that should really run away with the conference. I suspect KU will win it. Right now I would pick OSU as number 2 but I have not seen them (or anyone other than OU) play.

If Maclemore has the light come on, they can be elite. Everything is predicated on his development as the season goes on. Elijah is struggling a bit, still adapting to his new role.

Back