Hypothetical situation.... Hannes Polla

thebigabd

Reaction score
What happens if, at current skill level, he played 25+ minutes per game every game of this season.

Does he develop into a 6'11'' 270 defensive/rebounding force? Does he foul out every game? Does he look like he doesn't belong? Is OU's win/loss much different?

PG: Trae Young
SG: Christian James
SF: Brady Manek
PF: Khadeem Lattin
C: Hannes Polla

What happens?

Last edited:
Polla instead of Manek?

I think we’d have several more losses.

Polla instead of Manek?

I think we’d have several more losses.

Sorry... botched that... Is it possible to get Lattin and Manek on the floor at the same time and "go big"??? Play a zone defense or something to make that work.

Reworked the lineup.

I think...def it would be doable (zone)...he just is so slow on the offensive end right now. Would that change if was playing 25 min...who knows.

Also, neither Manek or Lattin can cover a guard like Odomes..since we switch out on the perimeter it would be a horrible match-up with that...unless we went zone like you said.

just me 2 cents

I think...def it would be doable (zone)...he just is so slow on the offensive end right now. Would that change if was playing 25 min...who knows.

Also, neither Manek or Lattin can cover a guard like Odomes..since we switch out on the perimeter it would be a horrible match-up with that...unless we went zone like you said.

just me 2 cents

If I recall.... Baylor did something like that a few years back. They "went big" and played some weird zone defense and had a great season with it.

Sorry... botched that... Is it possible to get Lattin and Manek on the floor at the same time and "go big"??? Play a zone defense or something to make that work.

Reworked the lineup.

I dont think it's far fetched at all. A few commented back in the summer that Polla would make a nice anchor in a zone defense and half-court set. There would have been some growing pains but I also remember when everyone gave Drew a bunch of crap about using a zone at Baylor and they ended up doing rather well with it ... and there's always Syracuse.

Polla is too raw and too slow to be effective in OU’s offense. I can’t imagine any scenario where he would be a good fit when we’re pushing the ball full court. The slowest player on our roster on the same court with a point guard who wants to play uptempo on every possession?

I see a lot of zone in Polla’s future, unless he can improve his footwork. But, I happen to believe this OU team needs to play more zone to hide some of their weaknesses in a man to man. I think covering a specific area might end some of the confusion we see from time to time when players get caught out of position, especially in the help defense. A match up zone can be a very effective weapon. It can’t possibly be any worse than the defense this team has played in critical stretches of several games lately.

As for Hannes, I think it’s too late to give him more than an occasional three to five minutes, if that, at this point of the season. Too bad he wasn’t able to come in early, the way Matt Freeman was able to do. He would have benefited from a redshirt season.

It's conceivable that Polla should get some PT but there's no way he's ready for 25 minutes per game nor should he be taking minutes from Odomes. That would be giving up on the rest of the season.

Realistically, this team needs more from McGusty & Doolittle. They're the team's 2 best bench players and simply need to play better for the team to reach its potential. Without them, the team is basically 6 deep and that's when McNeace brings it.

I'm just amazed and disappointed that a team I thought had so much depth is apparently so thin.

What happens if, at current skill level, he played 25+ minutes per game every game of this season.

Does he develop into a 6'11'' 270 defensive/rebounding force? Does he foul out every game? Does he look like he doesn't belong? Is OU's win/loss much different?

What happens?

When did Polla get a skill level? Hey I got a pair of crimson glasses. All I see is 5 fouls and you don't sit Odomes. He and Trae are the only ones not playing scared. Manek is so hot and cold on offense and to slow to guard a 3 and gets pushed around by a 4. Lattin a senior still making freshmen mistakes and gets so many rebounds stripped its head shaking. Mcgusty lost on defense and will be in the game 10 seconds and will fire it up. There's not another guy on the team besides Trae with more 1.6 assist a game. Lon went to a zone out of desperation way out character for him. Lon also needs a little more bad cop and a little less good cop. Keep seeing the same mistakes every game. There's potential but we cant get out of our own way.

Last edited:
It's conceivable that Polla should get some PT but there's no way he's ready for 25 minutes per game nor should he be taking minutes from Odomes. That would be giving up on the rest of the season.

Realistically, this team needs more from McGusty & Doolittle. They're the team's 2 best bench players and simply need to play better for the team to reach its potential. Without them, the team is basically 6 deep and that's when McNeace brings it.

I'm just amazed and disappointed that a team I thought had so much depth is apparently so thin.

But IF he did start, and play 25 minutes per game all year.... 2 points, 3 rebounds per game before fouling out? 8 points/8 rebounds per game? Good defense? Horrible defense?

What happens?

I'm 100% making an assumption on what you might be hinting at here so I apologize if i'm incorrect. If your wondering if Playing Polla 25+ minutes will develop him into a player like Sagaba Konate for WVU I think the answer is no. He's not nearly as naturally athletic or long. I agree with Ada that he does not fit into the current offensive system. He's a slow lumbersome 6'11" below the rim Center. If we could make a McNease/Polla hybrid....that's our guy.

As much as I look at Lattin's faults and under appreciate him, I think we are going to miss him more that we realize next year.

Polla is a dinosaur. To be a slowfooted, plodding big man and contribute in todays game you have to be absurdly skilled. Great passer, always in correct defensive position, ability to shoot from range. I don't think Polla has any of those things.

Polla is a dinosaur. To be a slowfooted, plodding big man and contribute in todays game you have to be absurdly skilled. Great passer, always in correct defensive position, ability to shoot from range. I don't think Polla has any of those things.

This ain't the NBA, man... The way you are describing it, Kevin Bookout couldn't play college basketball anymore. If he can defend he should be able to play.

Last edited:
I'm 100% making an assumption on what you might be hinting at here so I apologize if i'm incorrect. If your wondering if Playing Polla 25+ minutes will develop him into a player like Sagaba Konate for WVU I think the answer is no. He's not nearly as naturally athletic or long. I agree with Ada that he does not fit into the current offensive system. He's a slow lumbersome 6'11" below the rim Center. If we could make a McNease/Polla hybrid....that's our guy.

As much as I look at Lattin's faults and under appreciate him, I think we are going to miss him more that we realize next year.

Agree on Lattin. He has been at least the third best player over the last several games.

I will not comment on this thread but look at his stat line the last three games and decide for yourself. I think Sperry hit the nail on the head.

I will not comment on this thread but look at his stat line the last three games and decide for yourself. I think Sperry hit the nail on the head.

Well, I'm convinced. That's good enough for me!

It's interesting that you stopped at 3 games since 4 games ago he had 6 rebounds in 4 minutes against Kansas.

It's also interesting that you can look at his stat line and determine from that that Polla doesn't have the passing or defensive skills that even Sperry thought were important. You're certainly a lot more intuitive than I am.

This ain't the NBA, man... The way you are describing it, Kevin Bookout couldn't play college basketball anymore. If he can defend he should be able to play.

Kevin Bookout would have a very hard time playing in today's game.

Well, I'm convinced. That's good enough for me!

It's interesting that you stopped at 3 games since 4 games ago he had 6 rebounds in 4 minutes against Kansas.

It's also interesting that you can look at his stat line and determine from that that Polla doesn't have the passing or defensive skills that even Sperry thought were important. You're certainly a lot more intuitive than I am.

He's played 41 minutes has 0 assists, 9 personal fouls and 5 turnovers.

He's played 41 minutes has 0 assists, 9 personal fouls and 5 turnovers.

This seems a little like criticizing Trae for having zero dunks. Polla is a true freshman, playing in a new country, and averaging two minutes a game. Looking at his assist numbers in those circumstances and concluding that they mean he isn't skilled enough to contribute down the road is absurd. I have no idea how his career will pan out, but I think he handled himself well on the two occasions (Wichita State and KU) that he played meaningful minutes against a good opponent. As a third string big who only plays when Lattin and Muni are in foul trouble or playing terrible, his role this season is to rebound, defend, and be physical. We aren't asking him to be Marc Gasol or Blake Griffin and help facilitate the offense with his passing.

Back