The official Roster Puzzle thread

If I live to be twice my dad's age, I'll never understand the apparently irresistible urge many posters feel to dismiss a player early in his career. It seems very few are willing to take a wait-and-see approach, to sit back and see how things develop (or don't).

This despite the fact that any number of players over the years have shown unexpected improvement as upperclassmen and that many a highly ranked recruit has come up short (Kam McG, we hardly knew ye).

No way. You can plainly see that he's not a D1 guy. If he plays a single meaningful minute I'll eat my shorts. Don't fall for the recruiting rankings he had for a little while.. there's a reason he's a walk on

Talk about going out on a limb! Giles has three more years to play.

You might want to add a sanitizer to your laundry when you’re washing your shorts.

Talk about going out on a limb!

Not really. Going out on a limb would be suggesting he could play a role, since that almost never, ever happens.

There are certain things OU fans (and I'm sure others) suggest every year, that NEVER pan out. Walk-ons contributing. Stretch 4's getting significant time at the 3 spot. Incoming freshman being way better than they are likely to be.

Given he had some D1 offers, I suspect the reason he's a walk-on may not be the one you have in mind. He clearly could have accepted one of those offers and NOT been a walk-on.

It’s my understanding those other offers might not have been there when it came to signing time. That being said, the thought crossed my mind too.

Not really. Going out on a limb would be suggesting he could play a role, since that almost never, ever happens.

There are certain things OU fans (and I'm sure others) suggest every year, that NEVER pan out. Walk-ons contributing. Stretch 4's getting significant time at the 3 spot. Incoming freshman being way better than they are likely to be.

He didn’t say play meaningful minutes. He said “a single meaningful minute.” To me, that’s going out on a limb with three more years to play.

Not that I would ever ask a great poster like hoopsaustun to eat his shorts. I feel sure I’ve made more “bold” predictions than anyone over the years. Your stretch four playing the three for example. Don’t think that went right over my head. I knew immediately you were talking about my Freeman predictions. Heck, I didn’t even get the stretch four part right.

He didn’t say play meaningful minutes. He said “a single meaningful minute.” To me, that’s going out on a limb with three more years to play.

Not that I would ever ask a great poster like hoopsaustun to eat his shorts. I feel sure I’ve made more “bold” predictions than anyone over the years. Your stretch four playing the three for example. Don’t think that went right over my head. I knew immediately you were talking about my Freeman predictions. Heck, I didn’t even get the stretch four part right.

My shorts i wore from the gym will do. Won't even wash him. You can tell. The kid didn't have those offers at signing they were pulled early. Nothing against the kid. But he's a walk on. Nothing more nothing less

No they won't contribute. They will be good walk ons

When I coached D3 hoops I recruited a kid to our place that really wanted to go somewhere else but I won him over. After the first year he was East division Freshman of the Year in our conference but decided to transfer to the school he always wanted (TX A&M).

He walked on there and played for Gillespie. His senior year he was a starter. It was Chris Walker.

I realize he is a rare case but don't tell me every walk on will never contribute because you never know.

It was a fluke that David Goldbold came in as a scholarship player and plenty of the online experts were angry that it was offered, convinced he'd never be able to help us.

Austin Mankin played a meaningful minute or two so to say Giles won’t ever do it is going out on a limb, IMO. Lon is pretty consistent with two-fouls-and-out in the first half, so all it would take is foul trouble to get your minute.

Edit: Originally said Trey Slate

Austin Mankin played a meaningful minute or two so to say Giles won’t ever do it is going out on a limb, IMO. Lon is pretty consistent with two-fouls-and-out in the first half, so all it would take is foul trouble to get your minute.

Edit: Originally said Trey Slate

CJ Cole played against UCLA at the battle for Atlantis for 6 minutes.

Can I add to this?

At various times there have been convos about Odomes, Manek, Mcgusty, Muni, and others playing in the NBA....

Maybe the better way to put it is they won't play a meaningful minute unless something bad happens to the roster. Meaning, we are down several players, and/or have a bunch of foul problems. If the team has 11-12 healthy bodies going into a game, the walk-ons shouldn't be getting any minutes other than mop-up.

Maybe the better way to put it is they won't play a meaningful minute unless something bad happens to the roster. Meaning, we are down several players, and/or have a bunch of foul problems. If the team has 11-12 healthy bodies going into a game, the walk-ons shouldn't be getting any minutes other than mop-up.

So, you’re saying there’s a chance? Keep those shorts clean, hoopsaustin!

Can I add to this?

At various times there have been convos about Odomes, Manek, Mcgusty, Muni, and others playing in the NBA....

The only one with no chance to make the nba is odomes. Guys who can’t shoot have to be premier athletes, and he is not that. The other 3 have a shot to make it to the league still.

Btw, can we add all of your garbage juco player hot takes to the list?

Last edited:
I don't know if any of the walk-ons will ever play, but Thorpe, Geha and Giles all look like Schollie players and are competitive with our guys in practice. Giles in particular, looks like he could play, at least in a pinch.

In any event, hopefully Lon can find a couple guards to play next year that can shoot a little bit. If he does, I would think we could win about as many games next year. Then, lets hope our next recruiting class puts us back on an upward trajectory.

Worst case (no new kids other than the one signed), I could see Odomes at the 1, cj and doo at the wing, manek and Muni in the paint. What would you guys think about this lineup? Lazenby, Polla and Beniemy backing up.

I don't know if any of the walk-ons will ever play, but Thorpe, Geha and Giles all look like Schollie players and are competitive with our guys in practice. Giles in particular, looks like he could play, at least in a pinch.

In any event, hopefully Lon can find a couple guards to play next year that can shoot a little bit. If he does, I would think we could win about as many games next year. Then, lets hope our next recruiting class puts us back on an upward trajectory.

Worst case (no new kids other than the one signed), I could see Odomes at the 1, cj and doo at the wing, manek and Muni in the paint. What would you guys think about this lineup? Lazenby, Polla and Beniemy backing up.

Odomes running the 1 would largely be a disaster imo. But if they aren't pressuring the 1 up the court i mean anyone could in theory bring it up.. i don't think he can run and distribute the ball in an offense tho

2 really good guards from the University of Albany have announced that they're going to be grad transfers next year. Both had solid assist and turnover rates and, presumably, could play the point. The better of the 2, Joe Cremo, also shot 46% from 3. He's 6'4" and I could see him playing either guard position. David Nichols shot 37% from 3 and is just 6'0". He's more of a true PG.

Nichols is from the Chicago area but Cremo is from upstate NY. It might not be easy to get Cremo to come to OU since a lot of schools will probably be interested but the prospect of playing the point for a power 5 team who made the tournament this year and has a lot of veterans returning might be appealing.

2 really good guards from the University of Albany have announced that they're going to be grad transfers next year. Both had solid assist and turnover rates and, presumably, could play the point. The better of the 2, Joe Cremo, also shot 46% from 3. He's 6'4" and I could see him playing either guard position. David Nichols shot 37% from 3 and is just 6'0". He's more of a true PG.

Nichols is from the Chicago area but Cremo is from upstate NY. It might not be easy to get Cremo to come to OU since a lot of schools will probably be interested but the prospect of playing the point for a power 5 team who made the tournament this year and has a lot of veterans returning might be appealing.

Screw it. Get cremo

Back