Recruiting Success Rates

I liked Gilbert and Godbold both, but they were NOT appreciated by many of the fans at the time. Just like Kelvin, the years have burnished their reputations with many of those fans.

A young fan reading all these golden memories of Sampson's time in Norman today would be stunned to read what was being said by many posters at the time.

I was pretty ardent Sampson supporter, and I know for a fact I pimped Godbold and lots of these guys. Back then I got bashed for supporting Godbold, Longar, and a few others so fervently.

I liked Gilbert and Godbold both, but they were NOT appreciated by many of the fans at the time. Just like Kelvin, the years have burnished their reputations with many of those fans.

A young fan reading all these golden memories of Sampson's time in Norman today would be stunned to read what was being said by many posters at the time.

I thought Godbold was a pretty good player. This team could use a guy like David Godbold, he's twice the player of Christian James with probably half the ability. That's not to knock Goldbold at all.

Gilbert improved a lot at OU. He wasn't very good his freshman year but by the time he left he was pretty good. He was frustrating at times especially at free throws but by the time he was a senior he was pretty good at FT's.

What the point of these types of threads? Kelvin left ou on his own accord and he won’t be coming back. I think most fans will agree that if we are to rank all time head coaches at ou the order would be:

1. Tubbs
2. Kelvin
3. Lon

Lon is doing just fine by program standards. The people who demand elite results year over year need to pony up like the boosters for elite programs do.

True dat! Those long scoring droughts drove the KS haters crazy. I am happy that the current OUHoops population does NOT lambast the team and berate Coach Kruger when OU now experiences similar scoring droughts, or "blows" a lead. Those things happen to ALL teams and coaches.

True dat! Those long scoring droughts drove the KS haters crazy. I am happy that the current OUHoops population does NOT lambast the team and berate Coach Kruger when OU now experiences similar scoring droughts, or "blows" a lead. Those things happen to ALL teams and coaches.

Drove the ks lovers crazy too!!

KS not a good recruiter?

Ebi Ere
-Big 12 Newcomer of the Year. All Big 12 Player. All NCAA Tournament Team

Quannas White
-Big 12 All Newcomer Team. NCAA West Regional Team.. All big 12 Tournament team.

Hollis Price
-National All-American... All Big 12.. Etc so on

Ace McGhee
-1st Team All Big 12. All NewComer Team. Arguably was the best player in the country the second half of his senior year.

Eduardo Najera
-National All-American... All big 12... In OU's top 10 in 9 different stat categories. Hall of famer.

Taj Gray
-1st Team All big 12... Big 12 Newcomer of the Year...

Ryan Minor
-All-American. 1st Team all big 12.

Corey Brewer
-1st team All big 12.

Mike Neal
-Big 12 Newcomer of the Year. All Newcomer team... 2nd team All big 12.

Kevin Bookout
-All Big 12 player

Terrell Everett
-2nd Team All Big 12... All newcomer team.. Top 10 nationally in assists

JR Raymond
-3rd team All Big 12... All Newcomer Team.

Other random guys:
Daryan Selvy... might have been the best defensive player in the league.
Nolan Johnson... might have been the second toughest dude to play at OU under Sampson, right behind Najera.

I am probably forgetting several guys... but under Sampson they were landing multiple guys on newcomer, freshman, all conference, all NCAA Tournament, etc teams for YEARS.

In one season Everett, Gray, Neal, and Bookout made All-Conference.
In another season Price, Ere, White, and McGhee made All-Conference
Etc..

Sampson was a great coach, but he brought in a great deal of talent, many of which played at the same time. Thats how you win 25 games a year.

Great talent or great work ethic/coaching that got them where they went?

Were most of those guys considered "top talent" coming INTO OU...?

I"m just asking is recruiting is about what they are to begin with or where they end up?...I think that is some of the issues with LK...some think (me as well at time) that he doesn't "coach" these guys...

Recruiting is about base talent and seeing if the kids have the work ethic to get better...seeing potential is just as important. Getting them there is coaching.

just a thought.

I thought Godbold was a pretty good player. This team could use a guy like David Godbold, he's twice the player of Christian James with probably half the ability. That's not to knock Goldbold at all.

Gilbert improved a lot at OU. He wasn't very good his freshman year but by the time he left he was pretty good. He was frustrating at times especially at free throws but by the time he was a senior he was pretty good at FT's.

I liked Godbold, but twice the player of Christian James? Come on.

Link to Godbold's numbers
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/david-godbold-1.html

Now James
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/christian-james-1.html

James was clearly a better player. Funny thing is that it also has SOS for each season that they played, and James played a tougher schedule all 4 years.

Last edited:
CJ is a much better player than Godbold.... Godbold was a glue guy, with lots of heart. CJ is more talented all around, and if he had Godbolds heart and attitude would probably be a lot more admired... CJ has great scoring and rebounding numbers this year and he is probably the least talked about player on the team.

CJ is a much better player than Godbold.... Godbold was a glue guy, with lots of heart. CJ is more talented all around, and if he had Godbolds heart and attitude would probably be a lot more admired... CJ has great scoring and rebounding numbers this year and he is probably the least talked about player on the team.

James dropping his head and getting down on himself and sulking about not getting calls definitely hurts him, at least in the eyes of the average OU fan. He is a solid player. People are also disappointed that he didn't turn into Hield.

James dropping his head and getting down on himself and sulking about not getting calls definitely hurts him, at least in the eyes of the average OU fan. He is a solid player. People are also disappointed that he didn't turn into Hield.

You just made my point. This combined with Godbold's hustle and effort are why I said DG is twice the player of CJ. Yes, CJ has more talent.

You just made my point. This combined with Godbold's hustle and effort are why I said DG is twice the player of CJ. Yes, CJ has more talent.

All Goldbold’s extra heart hustle and hardwood produced pedestrian numbers in comparison to CJ. CJ is going to be missed next year. Fortunately, we are bringing in a ton of talent!

Back