The official Roster Puzzle thread

These are top 7 year runs by Tubbs and Sampson. This is from soonerstats.com and the ranking is the last AP ranking before the tourney.

Tubbs
'84 29-5 #7 ranking 1st in Big 8, 0-1 in NCAA tourney
'85 31-6 #4 ranking 1st in Big 8, 3-1 in NCAA tourney
'86 26-9 #15 ranking 3rd in Big 8, 1-1 in NCAA tourney
'87 24-10, NR 2nd in Big 8, 2-1 in NCAA tourney
'88 35-4, #4 ranking 1st in Big 8, 5-1 in NCAA tourney
'89 30-6 #4 ranking 1st in Big 8, 2-1 in NCAA tourney
'90 27-5 #1 ranking 2nd in Big 8, 1-1 in NCAA tourney

Sampson
'99 22-11 NR 2nd in Big 12, 2-1 in NCAA tourney
'00 27-7 #12 ranking, 3rd in Big 12, 1-1 in NCAA tourney
'01 26-7 #13 ranking, 2nd in Big 12, 0-1 in NCAA tourney
'02 31-5 #3 ranking, 2nd in Big 12, 4-1 in NCAA tourney
'03 27-7 #3 ranking, 3rd in Big 12, 3-1 in NCAA tourney
'04 20-11 NR, 7th in Big 12, NIT
'05 25-8 #17 ranking, 1st in Big 12, 1-1 in NCAA tourney

Why isn't Tubbs' run the standard? Because it was best

And no, that isn't to belittle Sampson's run, because that 7 year run is very good.

Tubbs is the peak of OU basketball. Tubbs has the best coach at OU, and everyone knows it. Sampson was the 2nd best. He did well in the regular season, but post season he struggled.

Lol. Oh yea? Doubt it. Even if, so what??

It shows two things.

#1 KU and the Big 12 was down the one year that Sampson won the Big 12 title (the 2002 team would have wiped the floor with that team as well).

#2 It takes a bit of luck (see Blake's injury that resulted in OU losing 2 games and the Big 12 title)

Maine PG grad transfer Austin Calixte is visiting OU April 13th. He's also heard from Gonzaga and Florida State

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/979010461747343360

This means Trice and Calixte are visiting at the same time, at the Spring game.

Matt,

I reposted your announcement on the “possible targets” thread. I doubt if it will get much notice on this thread with another, far more important debate about Kelvin Sampson underway. :rolleyes:

These are top 7 year runs by Tubbs and Sampson. This is from soonerstats.com and the ranking is the last AP ranking before the tourney.

Tubbs
'84 29-5 #7 ranking 1st in Big 8, 0-1 in NCAA tourney
'85 31-6 #4 ranking 1st in Big 8, 3-1 in NCAA tourney
'86 26-9 #15 ranking 3rd in Big 8, 1-1 in NCAA tourney
'87 24-10, NR 2nd in Big 8, 2-1 in NCAA tourney
'88 35-4, #4 ranking 1st in Big 8, 5-1 in NCAA tourney
'89 30-6 #4 ranking 1st in Big 8, 2-1 in NCAA tourney
'90 27-5 #1 ranking 2nd in Big 8, 1-1 in NCAA tourney

Sampson
'99 22-11 NR 2nd in Big 12, 2-1 in NCAA tourney
'00 27-7 #12 ranking, 3rd in Big 12, 1-1 in NCAA tourney
'01 26-7 #13 ranking, 2nd in Big 12, 0-1 in NCAA tourney
'02 31-5 #3 ranking, 2nd in Big 12, 4-1 in NCAA tourney
'03 27-7 #3 ranking, 3rd in Big 12, 3-1 in NCAA tourney
'04 20-11 NR, 7th in Big 12, NIT
'05 25-8 #17 ranking, 1st in Big 12, 1-1 in NCAA tourney

Why isn't Tubbs' run the standard? Because it was best

And no, that isn't to belittle Sampson's run, because that 7 year run is very good.

Two reasons.

One, outside of the Big 12 titles, those numbers are strikingly similar. Even in the Dance, 14-7 for Billy and 11-6 for Kelvin. Two, b/c it excludes Tubb's crappy seasons. Tubbs' high was a little higher than Kelvin's, for sure. But Kelvin didn't bottom out. I like that. And guess what, Billy and Kelvin have the same number of NC's and FF appearances, so it's really tough to argue that Billy gave us a better chance to win a title.

I'm not ready to call Kris Martin a really good player. He may end up being a role player piece. He had the good 3 point shooting percentage his last season at ORU, but his overall shooting was dreadful, and there is a big time competition difference in what he saw at ORU.

My guess is he for sure comes off the bench next year, and possibly even as a senior. LK really likes those bigger guards. I tend to like the smaller guys, kind of like KU has. Those combo-guard type guys that are in the 6'1 to 6'3ish range.

I think this is a very logical assumption and agree with it 100%. He hasn't played in well over a year and was playing against tons lesser the last time he did play. To think he will come to OU and the B12, off a long layoff, and duplicate those numbers is quite ambitious. Hopefully he can just be a solid contributor and improve and get better, which is very reasonable as he shakes the rust off.

Thoughts on whether or not any of the walkons could contribute next season, such as Chris Giles? If memory serves me correctly, Giles is the son of a former OU player and turned down other D-I offers to come to OU. Anyone have any thoughts on him specifically? Or Patrick Geha, Read Streller or Marshall Thorpe?

I think this is a very logical assumption and agree with it 100%. He hasn't played in well over a year and was playing against tons lesser the last time he did play. To think he will come to OU and the B12, off a long layoff, and duplicate those numbers is quite ambitious. Hopefully he can just be a solid contributor and improve and get better, which is very reasonable as he shakes the rust off.

Yep. I'm going to operate under the assumption that James and Odomes will start at the 2/3 spots, and we'll bring in another pg type.

Martin off the bench looks like a pretty good option.

Two reasons.

And guess what, Billy and Kelvin have the same number of NC's and FF appearances, so it's really tough to argue that Billy gave us a better chance to win a title.

Throw Kruger's name in this mix as well then....

OP also left out Kur Kuath...the JUCO PF that is committed

I forgot about him. So if Trice Commits we will have 7 of our 13 schollies tied up in PF's and Centers? Something does not add up.
Doo Manek Freeman Polla McNease Kuaith Trice

Yep. I'm going to operate under the assumption that James and Odomes will start at the 2/3 spots, and we'll bring in another pg type.

Martin off the bench looks like a pretty good option.

The battle at the two is going to be interesting. Don’t be surprised if Bieniemy wins the right to start at that position. Not right away, by the beginning of conference play. He’s got better handles than CJ and he’s a better passer. James and Martin could move to the three. The ability to defend may be the deciding factor.

The battle at the two is going to be interesting. Don’t be surprised if Bieniemy wins the right to start at that position. Not right away, by the beginning of conference play. He’s got better handles than CJ and he’s a better passer. James and Martin could move to the three. The ability to defend may be the deciding factor.

Bieniemy probably becomes the team's best passer the day he steps foot on this campus, depending on what happens with the PG position but if he starts for OU next year it probably says more about what happened with James, Martin, Odomes, Doolittle, etc. than it says about him.

7 bigs, but no real PF, using traditional positions.

C - McNeace and Polla
PF (stretch) - Manek, Freeman, Kuath
SF - Doolittle, Trice (maybe an undersized PF)

The way OU has been using their bigs, I'm not surprised that there are no traditional 4's, other than possibly an undersized one in Trice. Since Freeman hasn't shot well the past 2 seasons, perhaps with his size he should develop more of an inside game (similar to Ryan Spangler, who could go inside or out). I'd hate to see Manek play too much inside, due to his range from 3. I have no idea what to expect from Kuath, although at less than 180 lbs at 6-9, I can't imagine he could bang around inside effectively in the Big 12.

Haha, yea, I forgot Bienemy and Kuath somehow.

Bieniemy probably becomes the team's best passer the day he steps foot on this campus, depending on what happens with the PG position but if he starts for OU next year it probably says more about what happened with James, Martin, Odomes, Doolittle, etc. than it says about him.

Agreed. I would also add best handles along with Martin of the players on your list. Read a quote from Kruger saying Bieniemy was an excellent defender. Assuming that’s not just coach speak, Jamal may have an edge or two working in his favor.

So James, Odomes, and Martin at the 3? Probably won't happen.

I don't see Bieniemy starting next year, but I've been wrong before.

So James, Odomes, and Martin at the 3? Probably won't happen.

I said the battle will be at the two. If Bieniemy wins it, as I believe he will, that leaves James, Odomes and Martin as the likely candidates to play the three. My money would be on James. He was the strongest this season. If he puts in the time on conditioning again I doubt if that will change,

I updated the original post... there is a ridiculous log jam in the front court.

I have no proof that you've ever been wrong.

Last edited:
Back