The official Roster Puzzle thread

So you don't think a second round exit is pretty good most of the time? How many schools are making it to the Sweet 16 regularly? A few of the Blue Bloods, and that is it.

Here is a list of pretty good programs that were seeded to make the Sweet 16 this year, but didn't: Virginia, NC, MSU, Xavier, and Arizona

You can also add Tennessee and Cincy.

If your goal is to make the Sweet 16 more often then not, you are rooting for the wrong team.

So you don't think a second round exit is pretty good most of the time? How many schools are making it to the Sweet 16 regularly? A few of the Blue Bloods, and that is it.

Here is a list of pretty good programs that were seeded to make the Sweet 16 this year, but didn't: Virginia, NC, MSU, Xavier, and Arizona

If your goal is to make the Sweet 16 more often then not, you are rooting for the wrong team.

OU should be one step below the Blue Bloods instead of two steps IMO.

And LOL at "rooting for the wrong team"...OU is my alma mater.

How many have we shared in the 12 seasons since Kelvin left?

That is assuming that I'm happy with OU's results since then....I'm not.

Although OU has had at least two teams since that shared title team that would have wiped the floor with the one OU team that shared the Big 12 title.

OU should be one step below the Blue Bloods instead of two steps IMO.

A VERY strong argument can be made that we were one step behind them when Kelvin left. I've certainly made that argument. Are we still there now? Possibly. Capel missing the tourney 3 straight seasons really hurts that argument, but if we're talking historically, I could make argument for OU still being there.

Sampson got more out of a lot less talent than other teams. No matter the roster they played solid BB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maine PG grad transfer Austin Calixte is visiting OU April 13th. He's also heard from Gonzaga and Florida State

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/979010461747343360

This means Trice and Calixte are visiting at the same time, at the Spring game.

It also means that we aren't likely to hear any more news until after that visit, since there are now 2 spots open. April 11th is the signing day, so if OU does NOT get either of them or both of them, there is the risk that OU will be short of players that they need next season.

Although OU has had at least two teams since that shared title team that would have wiped the floor with the one OU team that shared the Big 12 title.

Fair enough. But just to show how fickle that argument is, had the schedule in 2002 fallen where OU played their single game against KU in Norman, I think OU wins the Big 12 outright that season.

A VERY strong argument can be made that we were one step behind them when Kelvin left. I've certainly made that argument. Are we still there now? Possibly. Capel missing the tourney 3 straight seasons really hurts that argument, but if we're talking historically, I could make argument for OU still being there.

Historically they are still behind a number overall and likely currently that value both sports....Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, etc. OU should be in that class. OU is one step behind them overall (don't post about a 2-3 year span where OU was better than those).

Sampson got more out of a lot less talent than other teams. No matter the roster they played solid BB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kelvin's teams could win ugly. They were fundamentally sound. At times they were talented, but often, they just didn't beat themselves too often. And Kelvin seemed to find good roles for each player. Kelvin is a good coach. His teams hustled. They rebounded. They defended. Sometimes they could score. Sometimes they couldn't.

Fair enough. But just to show how fickle that argument is, had the schedule in 2002 fallen where OU played their single game against KU in Norman, I think OU wins the Big 12 outright that season.

That is definitely possible (the 2002 argument) and if Griffin doesn't get hurt that OU team ends KU's run IMO.

My goal is to have an actual chance at winning the NCAA tournament at least now and again. What I didn't include in those #'s were the seeds OU had those seasons:

4 seed- first round loss
10 seed- first round loss
11 seed- first round loss
10 seed- first round loss
13 seed- Sweet 16
3 seed- second round loss
4 seed- first round loss
2 seed- FF
1 seed- Elite 8
3 seed- second round loss
6 seed- first round loss

The fact of him only making it past the 2nd round one time not being a 1 or 2 seed is sad. If that's your measurement for success because they won 20+ games and finished top half of the conference I don't know what to tell you. Every team sets out each year (realistic or not) and has aspirations of winning the conference/making the NCAA tourney and winning it all. For all the guys ragging on Kruger, in his time here he has made it as far in the NCAA tournament as Sampson did in his 11 appearances.

Also, MANY posters have ragged on Kruger for not elevating the recruiting after the FF run. Sampson had back to back years of making it to at least the Elite 8 and followed that the next 3 years with an NIT birth/second round loss and then a first round loss. Where was the boon in recruiting for those 3 years? And yes I know all about the recruiting class that could have been but never made it to campus when Sampson left for Indiana. But again that was 3-4 years removed from the elite 8 run.

Let me just say I think/know we are all frustrated with the way things finished this year but that the grass is always greener on the other side. I still feel like Kruger can get it done but needs to get back to the team oriented style that has always made him successful whereever he's been. The first commitment received yesterday seems a step in the right direction and the two coming for the spring game see to fit that as well.

Also, MANY posters have ragged on Kruger for not elevating the recruiting after the FF run. Sampson had back to back years of making it to at least the Elite 8 and followed that the next 3 years with an NIT birth/second round loss and then a first round loss. Where was the boon in recruiting for those 3 years? And yes I know all about the recruiting class that could have been but never made it to campus when Sampson left for Indiana. But again that was 3-4 years removed from the elite 8 run.

You need to get over the NIT thing. Once in 12 seasons isn't bad, and that team lost Bookout for most of the season, lost JB down the stretch, and was very young. And they STILL were probably 1, maybe 2 wins from making the NCAA Tourney. Without Bookout, that was basically a team full of freshman, Alexander (SO), and Detrick and JB (SR). Very young.

OU is never going to turn a FF run into some recruiting boon. It's not going to happen. Given our history, our location, and the talent produced in-state, OU is never going to have that kind of recruiting class. And that is fine. We've proven in the past that we don't really need to have some monster class to put a team together that is capable of winning a title.

Maine PG grad transfer Austin Calixte is visiting OU April 13th. He's also heard from Gonzaga and Florida State

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/979010461747343360

This means Trice and Calixte are visiting at the same time, at the Spring game.

Wow didn't really expect the Maine kid to be really hearing too much from schools.. i think we should def take him now. Use every scholly imo. And let them all compete if any players wanna kick rocks I'll pack their bags for them

Lol. Oh yea? Doubt it. Even if, so what??

These are top 7 year runs by Tubbs and Sampson. This is from soonerstats.com and the ranking is the last AP ranking before the tourney.

Tubbs
'84 29-5 #7 ranking 1st in Big 8, 0-1 in NCAA tourney
'85 31-6 #4 ranking 1st in Big 8, 3-1 in NCAA tourney
'86 26-9 #15 ranking 3rd in Big 8, 1-1 in NCAA tourney
'87 24-10, NR 2nd in Big 8, 2-1 in NCAA tourney
'88 35-4, #4 ranking 1st in Big 8, 5-1 in NCAA tourney
'89 30-6 #4 ranking 1st in Big 8, 2-1 in NCAA tourney
'90 27-5 #1 ranking 2nd in Big 8, 1-1 in NCAA tourney

Sampson
'99 22-11 NR 2nd in Big 12, 2-1 in NCAA tourney
'00 27-7 #12 ranking, 3rd in Big 12, 1-1 in NCAA tourney
'01 26-7 #13 ranking, 2nd in Big 12, 0-1 in NCAA tourney
'02 31-5 #3 ranking, 2nd in Big 12, 4-1 in NCAA tourney
'03 27-7 #3 ranking, 3rd in Big 12, 3-1 in NCAA tourney
'04 20-11 NR, 7th in Big 12, NIT
'05 25-8 #17 ranking, 1st in Big 12, 1-1 in NCAA tourney

Why isn't Tubbs' run the standard? Because it was best

And no, that isn't to belittle Sampson's run, because that 7 year run is very good.

Back