I apologize to Trae Young

It's terrible in a lot of ways, compared to my expectations. If we miss the Dance this year, we essentially should have missed three straight years. That is terrible. We don't have a ton of talent on the roster, even by our standards. That is terrible. I'm not nearly as bullish on the incoming class next year as some are. That is terrible. We might be looking for a transfer to come in and save the day AGAIN. I find that terrible. It's terrible that our program is in the shape it is after what, 8 years of Lon?

I may have stopped posting, but I was on the board during that entire time. I saw the writing on the wall, but knew nobody around here wanted to hear my opinion, so rather than stir stuff up, I just didn't post. I also traveled for work basically the entire time from the week before Thanksgiving until mid to late December, so my free time was limited. But mostly, I just chose not to stir stuff up with my opinion of where this team was headed. I remember when I jumped off the Capel train before everybody else. I posted about it, and was called all kinds of horrible things. I was right. I was right this time too, I just chose not to endure the abuse. You can make of that what you want.

Why would have I have shown humility during the win streak? I expected this team to be in the Dance this year. I think the roster, while not great, reflects a team that should comfortably make the Dance. So back in the OOC portion of the schedule, they were playing about how they should. But I saw signs of it being a bit of smoke and mirrors, and some of those wins that we thought were good wins slowly started looking less and less impressive. Again, I had two options. State that I thought the team would fall apart once Big 12 play started, or show some fake happiness over what I thought was a record that did not reflect what our team actually was. So again, I chose to be quiet over bringing my negativity to the board. Sorry that upsets some of you. Not really though.

Fair enough. I knew you were on the board but didn’t post. If that was because you were showing some restraint, you should be commended. I might be wise to follow your lead sometimes. Like now, in the midst of my rant about our coaching staff for example. :ez-laugh:

The good news is that we were able to redshirt Lazenby this year so that we can waste a scholarship on him again next year.

He will leave. I told everyone that he would never play

It's terrible in a lot of ways, compared to my expectations. If we miss the Dance this year, we essentially should have missed three straight years. That is terrible. We don't have a ton of talent on the roster, even by our standards. That is terrible. I'm not nearly as bullish on the incoming class next year as some are. That is terrible. We might be looking for a transfer to come in and save the day AGAIN. I find that terrible. It's terrible that our program is in the shape it is after what, 8 years of Lon?

I may have stopped posting, but I was on the board during that entire time. I saw the writing on the wall, but knew nobody around here wanted to hear my opinion, so rather than stir stuff up, I just didn't post. I also traveled for work basically the entire time from the week before Thanksgiving until mid to late December, so my free time was limited. But mostly, I just chose not to stir stuff up with my opinion of where this team was headed. I remember when I jumped off the Capel train before everybody else. I posted about it, and was called all kinds of horrible things. I was right. I was right this time too, I just chose not to endure the abuse. You can make of that what you want.

Why would have I have shown humility during the win streak? I expected this team to be in the Dance this year. I think the roster, while not great, reflects a team that should comfortably make the Dance. So back in the OOC portion of the schedule, they were playing about how they should. But I saw signs of it being a bit of smoke and mirrors, and some of those wins that we thought were good wins slowly started looking less and less impressive. Again, I had two options. State that I thought the team would fall apart once Big 12 play started, or show some fake happiness over what I thought was a record that did not reflect what our team actually was. So again, I chose to be quiet over bringing my negativity to the board. Sorry that upsets some of you. Not really though.

Get over yourself, man. How easy is it for anyone to get on here and claim after the fact that they knew what was going to happen? And to act like there wouldn't have been a way to make your point in a non-jerkish way is just nonsense. You could have easily posted something along the lines of "I'm glad we are off to a good start, but I think it is too early to say that we are going to keep this up in league play." No one would have jumped your a$$ for that. Heck, I get called out by people like you for being a sunshine pumper, yet I myself posted many times early in the season that our guards probably weren't as good as many seemed to believe.

As to your defense of your "terrible" remark -- you do what so many on this board do, which is use your opinion to try to change facts. Fact: we did make the tourney last season. Fact: we made it with room to spare. But because you don't think we should have, you treat it as if this would/should be our third straight missed appearance. Well, sorry, that's not how it works. If so, I would be able to proudly stare at a 1988 National Champions banner in the LNC, because we were better than KU and "should" have won that game. The reality is that we have yet to miss the tourney in consecutive years under Lon. The only years we did miss were his first year, when he inherited the Capel mess, and 2017, which was an awful year but was also somewhat understandable given the graduation of Hield, Cousins, and Spangler, plus the health issues of Woodard. You also base you comment in part on your evaluation of next year's recruiting class -- and I would bet you haven't seen a single one of them play in person and maybe not even on video. Then you act like getting a transfer is automatically a bad thing, even though tons of teams around the country, including some very good ones, have transfers leading the way (KU, UK, ISU, etc.). I guess those teams should feel terrible about having Lawson, Travis, and Shayok on their teams.

We weren't even one of the last 4 in last year. We were a 10 seed and safely in. If you want to say its because of trae, it's because of the 18 wins, 8 in conference he helped contribute to. This year we are looking at what 16 wins 4 in conference assuming we can beat WVU at home.

I get that, but we lost 11 of our last 15. Any year before they did away with last 10, or recent play, we're out. I think last year or the year before was the first year they decided not to look at that. There also aren't many teams that get in that are more than 1 game below .500 in conference play. I felt like the bubble was watered down a bit last year, along with the changes, making it easier for OU to get in. And yes, I think having Young helped. In other words, I think we were a bit lucky with some factors OU didn't control, that allowed us in. Kelvin had a team win 18 regular season games, went 8-8 in the Big 12, and won a game in the Big 12 tourney and still missed the Dance. I know there are other factors (SOS), but OU had a pretty bad resume to be Dancing last year.

The program is not in a good position right now imo. I don't see next year much better than this year.
We need a young energetic guy to amp up recruiting.

The program is not in a good position right now imo. I don't see next year much better than this year.

they will have the most talented roster under kruger next season

The good news is that we were able to redshirt Lazenby this year so that we can waste a scholarship on him again next year.

shows how in tune you are with the program.

He will transfer out after this year.

ORU a possible landing spot, they have been in contact.

Get over yourself, man. How easy is it for anyone to get on here and claim after the fact that they knew what was going to happen? And to act like there wouldn't have been a way to make your point in a non-jerkish way is just nonsense. You could have easily posted something along the lines of "I'm glad we are off to a good start, but I think it is too early to say that we are going to keep this up in league play." No one would have jumped your a$$ for that.

Wrong.

First, unless you posted under a different name, you haven't been on here long enough to know my history.

Second, I'd say I did exactly what you stated, and yes, people jumped by a$$. Here are two posts of mine after the first exhibition game:

I think there was a lot from that game to be concerned about.

Just have to see how it all shakes out. We'll know pretty quickly what this team is made of. After those first 3 games, it'll get real, real quick.

I'll start here:

- Our starting PG scored 2 points in 21 minutes.
- Doolittle and James didn't shoot it well against probably the least talented team they will play against this season. Could probably add Odomes here too.
- Freeman taking 9 shots (and only making 3 of them).
- Having more turnovers than Pitt State had against our "improved" D.
- Only having 3 more assists than Pitt State. Shows we were having to create our own shots, and the offense/sets weren't doing that against the weakest team we'll face all season.
- I didn't the D was as good as the results. They missed a lot of "open" shots.
- We gave up 12 offensive boards. Seems like a high number against this caliber of team.

And guess who was giving me crap then? You. It was YOU.

I also got jumped by skyvue for basically stating my opinion on the team. That was when I decided to stop posting for a while b/c clearly others weren't ready to agree with my view point, and I didn't want to be the negative one on the board.

BTW, I was right about A LOT of my concerns from above. Calixte's scoring. James' shooting. Turnovers. The defense. Rebounding.

they will have the most talented roster under kruger next season

will be pretty young talent.
Every year I find myself saying internally "next year will be fun! lots of new talent to mesh with the existing talent. It will be fun to see the team grow during the year and I think we should be a good team by the end of the year".

I'm ready to be excited for the current season again instead of looking forward to next year. It makes me feel aggie

Goodness... HOT TAKE:facepalm

It's good to see that you are OK with mediocrity.

OU basketball has issues gaining support even when they are good. 2-3 years of BAD basketball will bury this program.

will be pretty young talent.
Every year I find myself saying internally "next year will be fun! lots of new talent to mesh with the existing talent. It will be fun to see the team grow during the year and I think we should be a good team by the end of the year".

I'm ready to be excited for the current season again instead of looking forward to next year. It makes me feel aggie

4 starters that are on campus now 3 starting upperclassmen

It's good to see that you are OK with mediocrity.

OU basketball has issues gaining support even when they are good. 2-3 years of BAD basketball will bury this program.

Didnt say that... You take on postition is awful. "imo"

top 15 recruiting class coming in with Manek, Doolittle, and Jamal a year older.

Except no one will get better or become smarter basketball players.. lol. Kruger = develop on your own or don't grow

2-3 years of BAD basketball will bury this program.
I used to think that way. But it's not true. If the Athletic Department cares they'll fork over the money and we'll be OK. The fans will show if we win, but the Thunder will continue to siphon those who dwell on the fence.

I have a lot of thoughts on the current state of affairs, but I'm trying to avoid spewing them all over the place in a bunch of different threads. I do think it's time for a change. Austin Reaves is just another Romero Osby. RO didn't save Capel's job, and I sure hope we aren't held hostage by a "stellar" recruiting class.

And if we ever sign another JUCO it will be too damn soon.

I remember thinking that it was going to be a long year.
But like someone else said, the OOC got me believing again.
I don't think I'll make that mistake again

I was excited with the wins over ND, Northwestern, and Florida. However, when I started to notice ND getting blown out in their conference games, and the same for Northwestern, I became concerned we had fools gold (with out OOC schedule). If you notice, none of those teams are any good. Florida may be the best of the bunch but we all know the SEC is not a great basketball conference.

I just didn't expect us to lose the way we have lost. The blowout losses to KSU and Baylor AT HOME were and are very concerning. Then losing winnable games at WV and at Baylor (due to their injuries) are a big cause of concern. Under Kelvin and Billy we never got blown out at home, or very rarely (maybe KU or OSU once in a while). Also under Kelvin, we hardly ever lost games because of fundamentals like rebounding and free throws. I also didn't expect we would have another team with a low basketball IQ.

Last edited:
4 starters that are on campus now 3 starting upperclassmen

And 2 of them are severely flawed. Doolittle is too small, Manek only wants to shoot 3's and is way too soft. We have no idea if the Reaves kid can compete in this conference but it seems like he may be pretty good and Bieniemy is good.

Wrong.

First, unless you posted under a different name, you haven't been on here long enough to know my history.

Second, I'd say I did exactly what you stated, and yes, people jumped by a$$. Here are two posts of mine after the first exhibition game:

And guess who was giving me crap then? You. It was YOU.

I also got jumped by skyvue for basically stating my opinion on the team. That was when I decided to stop posting for a while b/c clearly others weren't ready to agree with my view point, and I didn't want to be the negative one on the board.

BTW, I was right about A LOT of my concerns from above. Calixte's scoring. James' shooting. Turnovers. The defense. Rebounding.

I "jumped you" because it is ridiculous to even attempt to draw conclusions from stats in one game, especially when it comes to shooting numbers, and when we were discussing an exhibition game Should I also be worried if my favorite baseball team doesn't hit well in the first spring training game next weekend? And on the other hand, if Freeman had hit 5 of 9 rather than 3 of 9 would you have been thinking, man, he is going to have a great season? And when Calixte got off to a good scoring start in the games that actually count, did you bother to say anything about that?

I am going off memory, but I believe my response was something along the lines of, a handful of shots isn't a large enough sample size to be relevant. I always respect opinions of any fan when there is logic behind it. For example, anyone can look at Calixte, Reynolds, and James and see that our guards are not athletic or long, and can legitimately question if that will be a problem against better competition. Again, I was the person who got crap for doing this very thing in late December, before we hit the skids. So no, I am not a blind optimist. I also have questioned lineup choices and complained about James, probably to a fault. Point being, my takes are far more balanced than yours, yet you accuse me of "defending all things OU." I also own it when I am wrong -- if KSU keeps KU from No. 15, I will be the first one on here -- not just silently lurking like you were in November and December, but actually admitting that I was off base.

There are just so many posters who relish every loss and like to make it sound like people who aren't calling for Lon's head or constantly complaining about the horrible state of the program "are ok with mediocrity" or aren't truly concerned with the success of OU basketball. I wrote Joe C a letter in 2011 letting him know how embarrassed I was by Capel, both on and off the floor, and how painful it was for me to drive 370 miles round trip every home game to watch his team. So yeah, I will absolutely call out an OU coach if T think it is warranted. Just because I haven't reached that point with Lon doesn't mean that I am a homer.

There are just so many posters who relish every loss and like to make it sound like people who aren't calling for Lon's head or constantly complaining about the horrible state of the program "are ok with mediocrity" or aren't truly concerned with the success of OU basketball. I wrote Joe C a letter in 2011 letting him know how embarrassed I was by Capel, both on and off the floor, and how painful it was for me to drive 370 miles round trip every home game to watch his team. So yeah, I will absolutely call out an OU coach if T think it is warranted. Just because I haven't reached that point with Lon doesn't mean that I am a homer.

Capel won 43% of his conference games at OU. Lon has won 49%, including 33% the last 3 years, worst in the league. It's time to get embarrassed again.

Just to put it in perspective further, here's our last 3 coaches' career conference win %:

Kelvin: 68%
Lon: 49%
Capel: 43%

Lon is much closer to Capel than he is to Kelvin.

Last edited:
Back