I watched the Wayman Tisdale Story again last night

Big Old Booger

Reaction score
It was on the NBA Directv channel. So so sad to watch. While watching it, I was struck by how gaunt he had become in his last few months. I'm guessing he knew he was dying or was going to die, but I don't remember that ever being released publicly? I remember when I heard he had passed it hit me like a ton of bricks, as I just was not prepared.

Anyway, loved watching it. I wish it showed more of his days at OU, but I know that wasn't the only part of his life. It's probably selfish of me to say that, but those were some good times to be a fan of OU basketball.

I didn't know him and never had even met him, but he was/is by far my most favorite OU athlete of all time.

:eek:ldwt356:

wayman-tisdale-ou.jpg

$T2eC16NHJIIE9qTYI1n3BQqHgumfQQ~~60_35.JPG

WaymanTisdaleOU.jpg

I really do think Wayman is in discussion for the greatest college basketball player of all time.

Naming the court after him when they do this LNC renovation would be poetic. Great man. Miss him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I was working on something with it on in the background. I was painting and tearing up, thinking why the hell am I letting Toby Keith make me get all allergenic? I can't stand his music! Must have been the paint...

I really do think Wayman is in discussion for the greatest college basketball player of all time.

He was a better college player than Michael Jordan. The only other college players to consider would be Maravich.

Back when Wayman played, 2 other great scorers also played but they played at smaller programs in lesser conferences. Lionel Simmons at LaSalle and Xavier McDaniel at Wichita State. Wayman would have averaged 10 pts more per game at a program like those (than he did at OU) at least. Those guys, while good players, wouldn't have near the impact at an OU of WT.

Only college players I have seen better than WWT; Ewing, Manning, and Laettner. However, none of them were 3-time first team AA's!

Interesting note: OU has had 3 players win National Player of the Year awards but none of them were named Alvan Adams, Wayman Tisdale, or Stacey King.

1928 - Vic Holt
1947 - Gerald Tucker
2009 - Blake Griffin

Last edited:
Only college players I have seen better than WWT; Ewing, Manning, and Laettner. However, none of them were 3-time first team AA's!

Interesting note: OU has had 3 players win National Player of the Year awards but none of them were named Alvan Adams, Wayman Tisdale, or Stacey King.

1928 - Vic Holy
1947 - Gerald Tucker
2009 - Blake Griffin

I disagree with Manning being better than Tisdale. Ewing and/or Laettner would be a toss-up but I don't think Laettner could guard Tisdale if his life depended on it.

I disagree with Manning being better than Tisdale. Ewing and/or Laettner would be a toss-up but I don't think Laettner could guard Tisdale if his life depended on it.

Correct about Laettner guarding WWT.

Wayman is definitely in the discussion. It's a question with no answer. There are so many considerations.

In Wayman's class you had Ewing and Karl Malone who are in the discussion. You have Manning, the UCLA monsters Walton & Alcindor, Bird, Magic, Isaiah Thomas, a host of Kentucky Wildcats, Dukies & Tarheels, Derrick Coleman, Ralph Sampson, Hakeem, etc. Steph Curry is even in the discussion.

Just being in the discussion is extremely rare.

Pretty good list but laughable at the guards ranked ahead of Steph Curry. His lack of respect continues.

Two Sooners in the top 40. Nice.

How many oswho players were on the list?

You look at that picture of Oscar Robertson, combined with knowing what he did in the NBA. He's probably the best of alltime. That's who Lebron is after.

Great thread!!!!!! Great player, even better human being.

I will always remember #23 sitting on that block in the LNC, the entire opposing defense trying to stop him, no one able to. That sweet left hand turn around jumper falling over, and over, and over through the net........

Greatest college player I saw in person, hands down. One of the nicest, most down to earth people I ever had the pleasure of meeting.

Great thread!!!!!! Great player, even better human being.

I will always remember #23 sitting on that block in the LNC, the entire opposing defense trying to stop him, no one able to. That sweet left hand turn around jumper falling over, and over, and over through the net........

Greatest college player I saw in person, hands down. One of the nicest, most down to earth people I ever had the pleasure of meeting.

That turnaround jumper was the college version of the Sky Hook. Indefensible...

Wayman is definitely in the discussion. It's a question with no answer. There are so many considerations.

In Wayman's class you had Ewing and Karl Malone who are in the discussion. You have Manning, the UCLA monsters Walton & Alcindor, Bird, Magic, Isaiah Thomas, a host of Kentucky Wildcats, Dukies & Tarheels, Derrick Coleman, Ralph Sampson, Hakeem, etc. Steph Curry is even in the discussion.

Just being in the discussion is extremely rare.

I completely agree. Being in the discussion means you left a amazing legacy. Tisdale is pretty special in that he may be remembered as much for the quality his character as he was for the quality of his game. I know I wouldn't trade him for anyone else on that list.

Pretty good list but laughable at the guards ranked ahead of Steph Curry. His lack of respect continues.

I've never seen a college player who could hit so many threes despite being double and triple teamed. When we played Davidson in Lloyd Nobel, he hit two threes through triple teams. I could barely believe my eyes. I remember thinking that I had just watched two all time great basketball talents square off in Norman, Oklahoma. I hope we get to the point where that can happen again soon.

Great discussion, guys! I totally agree about WT. No way he is not one of the best college players ever!

I don't have a problem with most of the other players named so far, except no one put Jerry West on his list. Any player who averaged 29.3 points per his senior season, while shooting 50% plus from the field, pulling down 16.5 rebounds per game, shooting 76.6% from the free throw line and dishing out 134 assists has to be part of the discussion. West had 30 double-doubles that season, scoring 30 or more fifteen times.

Heck, West would be on nearly everyone's list as one of the greatest NBA players of all time. He has to be in the running as one of the best ever in college as well.

Back