If OSU was smart, they would hire a veteran like Bob Hoffman

thebigabd

Reaction score
Bob Hoffman
Born in Oklahoma City
2013 and 2014 Atlantic Sun Coach of the Year
Took Mercer to the NCAA Tournament of the first time in 29 years
First coach in NCAA History to win a game in the NCAA Tournament, NIT Tournament, CBI Tournament, and CIT Tournament)

Scott Sutton
Last name is Sutton
Son of Eddie Sutton
Has done a great job at ORU
306 career wins at ORU
All Time winningest coach at ORU

There are other examples, but I think OSU would be wise to hire a veteran coach like one of these guys instead of going for another "up and comer"

Lon Kruger - Veteran
Tubby Smith - Veteran
Bill Self - Veteran
Bob Huggins - Veteran
Bruce Weber - Veteran
Scott Drew - Veteran

Texas hired an "up and comer", and will likely work out, but they know if they hire someone like Hoffman they will at least play good solid basketball, be well coached, etc.

Bob Hoffman
Born in Oklahoma City
2013 and 2014 Atlantic Sun Coach of the Year
Took Mercer to the NCAA Tournament of the first time in 29 years
First coach in NCAA History to win a game in the NCAA Tournament, NIT Tournament, CBI Tournament, and CIT Tournament)

Scott Sutton
Last name is Sutton
Son of Eddie Sutton
Has done a great job at ORU
306 career wins at ORU
All Time winningest coach at ORU

There are other examples, but I think OSU would be wise to hire a veteran coach like one of these guys instead of going for another "up and comer"

Lon Kruger - Veteran
Tubby Smith - Veteran
Bill Self - Veteran
Bob Huggins - Veteran
Bruce Weber - Veteran
Scott Drew - Veteran

Texas hired an "up and comer", and will likely work out, but they know if they hire someone like Hoffman they will at least play good solid basketball, be well coached, etc.

They need someone with a better record than that.

Gregg Marshall
National coach of the year
Final four appearance

I sort of doubt Scott Sutton would go to OSU. Things didn't exactly end well at Stillwater for either his dad or brother.

No doubt! If OSU was smart...they wouldn't have given Ford that ridiculous contract to begin with!

What's scary is, the same person who gave Ford that contract is going to be the same guy making this hire. I'm not sure what direction they should go. I will be honest...the Gotlieb thing is very intriguing. I feel he is very sharp and would be smart enough hire really good assistant coaches...and I think he would be a good recruiter. They could hire him for cheap too, which is probably what they need right now.

However, if it turned out to be a circus hire...it would only put them further behind all the other programs in the Big 12. That would be the toughest part if they did hire Gotlieb, is how he would do against the other coaches in the Big 12. Our conference is LOADED with big time college basketball coaches. Dougy would be going against a Self, Kruger, Huggy, Shake, tubby smith most every night. That could be an uphill battle for someone who has never coached. But if he could bring in great talent and have the support of great assistants...he would have a sporting chance.

Hoffman is probably disqualified by Aggy because he once coached at OU. That's usually enough of a reason for them to pass on a potential, qualified coaching candidate.

No doubt! If OSU was smart...they wouldn't have given Ford that ridiculous contract to begin with!

What's scary is, the same person who gave Ford that contract is going to be the same guy making this hire. I'm not sure what direction they should go. I will be honest...the Gotlieb thing is very intriguing. I feel he is very sharp and would be smart enough hire really good assistant coaches...and I think he would be a good recruiter. They could hire him for cheap too, which is probably what they need right now.

However, if it turned out to be a circus hire...it would only put them further behind all the other programs in the Big 12. That would be the toughest part if they did hire Gotlieb, is how he would do against the other coaches in the Big 12. Our conference is LOADED with big time college basketball coaches. Dougy would be going against a Self, Kruger, Huggy, Shake, tubby smith most every night. That could be an uphill battle for someone who has never coached. But if he could bring in great talent and have the support of great assistants...he would have a sporting chance.

Holder hired a coach that only took umass to the nit. To go from that to hiring a guy like gottlieb who hasn't even coached. Holder has to make a smart hire. Or the next OSU protest week be for him to be fired.

Kelvin would be a great fit in a lot of ways.

Not saying I think osu would offer, or even that Kelvin would accept, but it'd be a great fit.

They need someone with a better record than that.

Gregg Marshall
National coach of the year
Final four appearance

There's a reason nobody is trying to hire Marshall. The guy is difficult to deal with.

Hoffman would be an excellent hire and he would build the program the right way.

I think Bob Hoffman must be bigabd's uncle or something.

There is a reason the guy can't land even a decent HC job.

I think Bob Hoffman must be bigabd's uncle or something.

There is a reason the guy can't land even a decent HC job.

At this point it's his age and his role in the Kelvin texting scandal probably still hurts him some too.

Explain?!?!

When we fired Capel, Marshall's name came up a lot on this board. Posters were posting they spoke to media members who said he's "very difficult" to deal with. Gottlieb stated basically the same thing and that Joe C told Marshall "no thanks" when Marshall inquired about the job. I remember even some posters who had ties to WSU who said he was very difficult to deal with but that was before he took them to the Final 4. I think it's telling he's been at WSU so long and nobody has tried to offer him a better job. WSU has a nice program but he's good enough to be at a better program but he's not.

Holder and Pickens are strong personalities. They won't want to deal with him if he's difficult either. They can hardly deal with Gundy who's not difficult at all and an alum.

When we fired Capel, Marshall's name came up a lot on this board. Posters were posting they spoke to media members who said he's "very difficult" to deal with. Gottlieb stated basically the same thing and that Joe C told Marshall "no thanks" when Marshall inquired about the job. I remember even some posters who had ties to WSU who said he was very difficult to deal with but that was before he took them to the Final 4. I think it's telling he's been at WSU so long and nobody has tried to offer him a better job. WSU has a nice program but he's good enough to be at a better program but he's not.

Holder and Pickens are strong personalities. They won't want to deal with him if he's difficult either. They can hardly deal with Gundy who's not difficult at all and an alum.

I've never heard any complaints from Wichita state people and yet they love him and you're telling me people outside of that program find him difficult? Sounds like nothing but a rumor.

I've never heard any complaints from Wichita state people and yet they love him and you're telling me people outside of that program find him difficult? Sounds like nothing but a rumor.

Like I said, he's a very good coach. To take a mid-major program to the final 4 and probably would have been 2 final 4's if not for a bad draw vs Kentucky but nobody has offered him a chance to leave Wichita? How many jobs have opened since he took WSU to the final 4? Not one considered him.

That tells me a lot.

Larranaga (George Mason) is now at Miami.
Butler coach is at the Boston Celtics.
Marshall is still at WSU.

Like I said, he's a very good coach. To take a mid-major program to the final 4 and probably would have been 2 final 4's if not for a bad draw vs Kentucky but nobody has offered him a chance to leave Wichita? How many jobs have opened since he took WSU to the final 4? Not one considered him.

That tells me a lot.

Larranaga (George Mason) is now at Miami.
Butler coach is at the Boston Celtics.
Marshall is still at WSU.

Because he lives on a golf course and wsu pays him pretty good. He likes it there.

Because he lives on a golf course and wsu pays him pretty good. He likes it there.

That's comical. Wichita is a dump and the Kansas education system is in the crapper. He would take the first boat out if one came along, I can promise you that.

Back