If OSU was smart, they would hire a veteran like Bob Hoffman

Not to pile on, but the fact that sutton's checkered past was the main reason osu pulled him is valid to the BOB's argument.

I usually would expect osu to make a somewhat coveted hire but Ford's buyout and the cost it will take to land a bigger name coach could be problematic for the pokes. Let's hope they land another lemon like ford!

Like I said, just a few years earlier OSU tried to hire Sutton and he wouldn't even interview. The ONLY reason they hired him is because he was caught cheating red-handed at Kentucky. He sent a player $1000 cash via FedEx and was caught. In addition, he had a horrible drug and alcohol addiction and went to get treatment after he left Kentucky. Nobody was going to hire him at that point and OSU took advantage of it and got a great coach.

Man, the more I think about it the riskier this deal sounds for OSU. What if they fire Ford, pay this crazy buyout, and the next coach doesn't return them to being as competitive as they want to be? Then they wasted all that money for no gain.

Quite the pickle they are in....

54633883.jpg

Man, the more I think about it the riskier this deal sounds for OSU. What if they fire Ford, pay this crazy buyout, and the next coach doesn't return them to being as competitive as they want to be? Then they wasted all that money for no gain.

Quite the pickle they are in....

54633883.jpg

I agree. That's why hiring a Bob Hoffman or Brad Underwood would be a great move because both guys can coach and build a program and would be relatively cheap.

I know a lot of OSU fans like the Gottlieb idea but that's a big gamble. It's not like he has NBA experience like Hoiberg who still had a learning curve adjusting to coaching when he first arrived in Ames.

After Capel, the hiring of Kruger was a crucial hire. Because if we had hired an unproven flavor of the month hire like Capel and it bombed we are further into a deep hole. Instead, LK is building a program that the next guy will inherit and be able to build upon.

The difference in OSU now and us then is OSU has talent on campus but Capel ran us into the ground and we had zero talent except Osby and the kid from Sherman (TX).

Last edited:
I agree. That's why hiring a Bob Hoffman or Brad Underwood would be a great move because both guys can coach and build a program and would be relatively cheap.

I know a lot of OSU fans like the Gottlieb idea but that's a big gamble. It's not like he has NBA experience like Hoiberg who still had a learning curve adjusting to coaching when he first arrived in Ames.

After Capel, the hiring of Kruger was a crucial hire. Because if we had hired an unproven flavor of the month hire like Capel and it bombed we are further into a deep hole. Instead, LK is building a program that the next guy will inherit and be able to build upon.

The difference in OSU now and us then is OSU has talent on campus but Capel ran us into the ground and we had zero talent except Osby and the kid from Sherman (TX).

Bob Hoffman...that would be a terrible hire. He's been to the tourney one time. Terry Evans would be better hire then him.

Underwood wouldn't be bad, I'll give you that but they are getting rid of a mid major coach so I can't see them bringing this guy in. I think they would go with gottlieb before hiring him.

Bob Hoffman...that would be a terrible hire. He's been to the tourney one time. Terry Evans would be better hire then him.

Underwood wouldn't be bad, I'll give you that but they are getting rid of a mid major coach so I can't see them bringing this guy in. I think they would go with gottlieb before hiring him.

I agree with that.

Hoffman won at Texas Pan-American which nobody wins there except him and Kruger. Both had winning records.

He was great in NAIA too, which I know doesn't mean much but that division of basketball is more about schemes and coaching than D-1 which is more about talent.

Nobody has given him a chance. He would have been a better choice for Tulsa than Haith.

I agree with that.

Hoffman won at Texas Pan-American which nobody wins there except him and Kruger. Both had winning records.

He was great in NAIA too, which I know doesn't mean much but that division of basketball is more about schemes and coaching than D-1 which is more about talent.

Nobody has given him a chance. He would have been a better choice for Tulsa than Haith.
Agree

Anyone would be better than haith.

Do you guys not follow nba.
Enough to know that Brad Stevens is in absolutely no danger of getting fired this year. That franchise is way ahead of schedule. Guy is working magic with a roster that's essentially a mishmash of trade assets.

In no particular order these are the rumored candidates. I would think that this time around Holder will go with someone with regional ties.

Buzz Williams (Va Tech) - regional ties
Jamie Dixon (PITT) - regional ties
Gregg Marshall (WSU) - regional ties
Brad Underwood (SFA) - regional ties
Chris Beard (UALR) - regional ties
Thad Matta (Ohio St) - no ties at all
Rick Standsbury (Texas A&M Assistant) - regional ties
Archie Miller (Dayton) - No ties at all.
Jared Haase (UAB) - regional ties
Ben Jacobson (UNI) - No ties at all

Last edited:
I have a co-worker who is a big time OSU fan....He said they have a search committee formed already.....I started laughing....Only OSU would form a search committee BEFORE they tell the coach he is fired....

Enough to know that Brad Stevens is in absolutely no danger of getting fired this year. That franchise is way ahead of schedule. Guy is working magic with a roster that's essentially a mishmash of trade assets.

I didn't say either one of them were going to get fired.

I have a co-worker who is a big time OSU fan....He said they have a search committee formed already.....I started laughing....Only OSU would form a search committee BEFORE they tell the coach he is fired....

They had a search committee last year

I bet Ford takes another job before he is "fired"

I didn't say either one of them were going to get fired.
Under what circumstances does Brad Stevens leave a top 4 seed in the NBA--a team that's loaded with assets going forward--and walk away from the last three years of his contract with the Celtics to go coach at Oklahoma State?

I'm trying to think of a comparable situation. When's the last time an NBA coach willfully left a playoff team--or even a non-playoff team--to go coach in college?

Last edited:
In no particular order these are the rumored candidates. I would think that this time around Holder will go with someone with regional ties.

Buzz Williams (Va Tech) - regional ties
Jamie Dixon (PITT) - regional ties
Gregg Marshall (WSU) - regional ties
Brad Underwood (SFA) - regional ties
Chris Beard (UALR) - regional ties
Thad Matta (Ohio St) - no ties at all
Rick Standsbury (Texas A&M Assistant) - regional ties
Archie Miller (Dayton) - No ties at all.
Jared Haase (UAB) - regional ties
Ben Jacobson (UNI) - No ties at all

The ones in bold would be great choices that would also be affordable.

I don't see how Matta would consider going to OSU from tOSU, that sounds like a waste of time.

Stansbury was the coach at Miss State who got them on probation, surely he won't be a candidate.

Jacobson seems like a pure mid-major coach like McDermott, you know one that can't make the jump to power 5.

As an OU fan, the only ones that concern me are Underwood and Miller of the realistic options. Matta concerns me but he's not leaving tOSU, IMO.

The ones in bold would be great choices that would also be affordable.

I don't see how Matta would consider going to OSU from tOSU, that sounds like a waste of time.

Stansbury was the coach at Miss State who got them on probation, surely he won't be a candidate.

Jacobson seems like a pure mid-major coach like McDermott, you know one that can't make the jump to power 5.

As an OU fan, the only ones that concern me are Underwood and Miller of the realistic options. Matta concerns me but he's not leaving tOSU, IMO.

There was a report that Buzz Williams had already been contacted and was taking the job. That appears to be just a rumor. I like the way Chris Beard's teams play. The story is that Thad Matta is unhappy at Ohio St. obviously I think this is a pipe dream.

I think Jamie Dixon, Brad Underwood, Buzz Williams and Chris Beard are the most likely coaches.

Under what circumstances does Brad Stevens leave a top 4 seed in the NBA--a team that's loaded with assets going forward--and walk away from the last three years of his contract with the Celtics to go coach at Oklahoma State?

I'm trying to think of a comparable situation. When's the last time an NBA coach willfully left a playoff team--or even a non-playoff team--to go coach in college?

I said they might reach out. I have no idea if Stevens is enjoying the nba gig. Is he winning...of course. He's a great coach. Same thing with Donovan. Donovan was hired by the magic and 24 hours later he quit and went back to college. So you never know where their heads are at. I never said they would take the job. Reaching out to former college coaches can't hurt for any program. Whether osu ou tcu so on. They say no, you move on.

Back