If OSU was smart, they would hire a veteran like Bob Hoffman

Brad Stevens is not having success in the NBA? LOL

His Celtics sit in 3rd place in the east and he is a strong candidate for NBA coach of the year.

I'm convinced you are clueless. Or, you are a closet Aggie fan because no way in H-E-L-L will they be able to hire Turgeon for one. He would never leave Maryland for OSU. One reason is because KU, his dream job will never hire him if he coaches at a Big 12, and specifically, Big 8 program. They (KU) told Turgeon the same when Joe C offered him the job at OU, thru intermediaries, when Capel was hired.

Brad Stevens, Billy Donovan and Mack would never move to Stillwater either. OSU has never been able to hire a big name coach except Sutton and that was only because he had just been fired from Kentucky for cheating and losing, not a good combination and had a substance abuse problem. Neither them or KSU will ever be able to hire a big name because nobody wants to live in Manhattan or Stillwater. Not to mention they don't have the money to hire guys like those.

You crack me up. You say things with nothing to back it up.
1st) turgeon is 51 and self is 53 so Kansas is off the table. He's not getting that job unless self leaves. And unless self takes the osu job, he's there until he retires.
2nd) OSU has had 2 of the best coaches ever in iba and Sutton and basically they went and hired one guy since Sutton and you say they haven't hired a big name coach. They've had one coaching search in 30 years and their about to have their 2nd in 8.
3rd) you have no idea what coach would take the osu job. You're acting like it's not one of the top 25 coaching jobs. They have the money with a billionaire behind them.
4th) as for Stevens, success in the nba is championships and he has none. Mark Jackson was winning and he was gone. So many more to name

I'm convinced you are clueless. Or, you are a closet Aggie fan because no way in H-E-L-L will they be able to hire Turgeon for one. He would never leave Maryland for OSU. One reason is because KU, his dream job will never hire him if he coaches at a Big 12, and specifically, Big 8 program. They (KU) told Turgeon the same when Joe C offered him the job at OU, thru intermediaries, when Capel was hired.

Brad Stevens, Billy Donovan and Mack would never move to Stillwater either. OSU has never been able to hire a big name coach except Sutton and that was only because he had just been fired from Kentucky for cheating and losing, not a good combination and had a substance abuse problem. Neither them or KSU will ever be able to hire a big name because nobody wants to live in Manhattan or Stillwater. Not to mention they don't have the money to hire guys like those.
Another thing about turgeon since the Kansas job is off the table. It would be easier for him to get and take the unc job when Williams retires if he's coaching OSU then if he's at Maryland. And according to the salary list below he's not making more than Ford. And the cost of living is way higher in Maryland then in Oklahoma.

This list isn't the most current but close enough.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach

Last edited:
1st) turgeon is 51 and self is 53 so Kansas is off the table. He's not getting that job unless self leaves. And unless self takes the osu job, he's there until he retires.
2nd) OSU has had 2 of the best coaches ever in iba and Sutton and basically they went and hired one guy since Sutton and you say they haven't hired a big name coach. They've had one coaching search in 30 years and their about to have their 2nd in 8.
3rd) you have no idea what coach would take the osu job. You're acting like it's not one of the top 25 coaching jobs. They have the money with a billionaire behind them.
4th) as for Stevens, success in the nba is championships and he has none. Mark Jackson was winning and he was gone. So many more to name

Stevens took over a complete rebuild in Boston and his team has improved each of the past 3 years. Adding him his hysterical. And Donovan is in his first year and he isn't leaving the Thunder for the Cowpokes. I'll wager any amount you want on neither Being OSU's next coach.

Stevens took over a complete rebuild in Boston and his team has improved each of the past 3 years. Adding him his hysterical. And Donovan is in his first year and he isn't leaving the Thunder for the Cowpokes. I'll wager any amount you want on neither Being OSU's next coach.

Do you guys not follow nba. Coaches get fired all the time whose teams have improved. Teams who had really good seasons. Donovan isn't doing better then the guy who he replaced. I'm not saying they could land those guys and not to mention the nba season doesn't end until summer time and so it almost eliminates those coaches but that doesn't mean they can't reach out to them.

Do you guys not follow nba. Coaches get fired all the time whose teams have improved. Teams who had really good seasons. Donovan isn't doing better then the guy who he replaced. I'm not saying they could land those guys and not to mention the nba season doesn't end until summer time and so it almost eliminates those coaches but that doesn't mean they can't reach out to them.

Comparing Steven to Marc Jacksok is beyond dumb but I won't try and explain that to you since you stupidly compared the two earlier.

Comparing Steven to Marc Jacksok is beyond dumb but I won't try and explain that to you since you stupidly compared the two earlier.

How about Stevens to Brooks. Does that make you feel better?

You guys need to stop crying. I'm spit balling names. They could hire a sports announcer with no coaching expertise for all I know. Gregg Marshall is name that I've heard is on top of their list. I have no idea. I'm just having debate and some of you...mainly bob..wants to act like he knows and just acts like osu couldn't hire a name coach if their life depended on it.

Might reach out to brad Stevens and Billy Donovan. Their not exactly having the greatest success in the nba.

I'm a lifelong Lakers fan, so I can't stand the Celtics. That said, Stevens is doing a terrific job with them. He may have actually inherited less talent in Boston than Billy Tubbs did at OU :D. In all seriousness, I never expected him to be doing this well this soon. Furthermore, the guy passed up job opening after job opening in college to take an NBA job in the only city with more NBA titles than my Lakers. Do you honestly think he would consider the OSU job? Seriously? As for Billy Donovan, he's in his first year at OKC. He'll do just fine there. And if he doesn't? I would imagine 3-4 years from now, he'll land a top-10 college job. I have no idea why you would bring either name up for the OSU opening.

If the Thunder offered the job, Self would take it in a heartbeat. Word out of Lawrence, and I have many KU friends, is Self really wants to coach in the NBA. I would almost guarantee he's gone from KU to take a job in the NBA in the next 3-5 years. At this point, if Turgeon keeps improving Maryland he would probably be the first choice. Though Danny Manning will be in play.

Iba was hired at OSU in 1934 and was basically a no-name. So to put his name out there as proof OSU can hire a big name coach is Stupid with a capital "S". Again, the only reason Sutton took the OSU job is because nobody else wanted him due to he was cheating and his addiction. OSU tried to hire him when they hired Paul Hansen and he never considered it.

OSU is not one of the top 25 coaching jobs right now. I would venture to guess it might be 5th in the Big 12 behind KU, OU, Texas and Iowa State. The Big 10 has a number of better jobs than OSU and so does the ACC and pac 12. SEC probably only has Arkansas and Kentucky. Maybe it's fringe top 25 but again, nobody wants to live in Stillwater. Certainly not somebody from the NBA or one of the coasts.

You really are clueless about any of this. I can't decide if it's because you are 20 years old or just don't read or follow sports very much.

Last edited:
You guys need to stop crying. I'm spit balling names. They could hire a sports announcer with no coaching expertise for all I know. Gregg Marshall is name that I've heard is on top of their list. I have no idea. I'm just having debate and some of you...mainly bob..wants to act like he knows and just acts like osu couldn't hire a name coach if their life depended on it.

You obviously aren't an adult.

No, I never said that.

I will tell you I heard Murdock on KC sports radio today and they asked him about the OSU job. He said with the buyout they don't have enough money to hire a big name coach and that's why Gottlieb is probably their top choice. Which is what I've been saying, they don't have the money to hire Marshall or any NBA coach or Chris Mack or any of the other ridiculous names you keep "spitballing".

If they don't hire Gottlieb they will look at the SFA guy or maybe a young SEC coach. I can't think of one who would be interested though.

The guy at Texas State who used to be at SFA might be an option too. Or the guy at UALR. However, I look for them to hire someone who played at OSU or has coached there before like Brooks Thompson or Gottlieb. Not very many people want to move to rural Oklahoma to live when they are already on one of the coasts or in Texas.

Last edited:
If the Thunder offered the job, Self would take it in a heartbeat. Word out of Lawrence, and I have many KU friends, is Self really wants to coach in the NBA. I would almost guarantee he's gone from KU to take a job in the NBA in the next 3-5 years. At this point, if Turgeon keeps improving Maryland he would probably be the first choice. Though Danny Manning will be in play.

Iba was hired at OSU in 1934 and was basically a no-name. So to put his name out there as proof OSU can hire a big name coach is Stupid with a capital "S". Again, the only reason Sutton took the OSU job is because nobody else wanted him due to he was cheating and his addiction. OSU tried to hire him when they hired Paul Hansen and he never considered it.

OSU is not one of the top 25 coaching jobs right now. I would venture to guess it might be 5th in the Big 12 behind KU, OU, Texas and Iowa State. The Big 10 has a number of better jobs than OSU and so does the ACC and pac 12. SEC probably only has Arkansas and Kentucky. Maybe it's fringe top 25 but again, nobody wants to live in Stillwater. Certainly not somebody from the NBA or one of the coasts.

You really are clueless about any of this. I can't decide if it's because you are 20 years old or just don't read or follow sports very much.

Iowa state? You are hysterical. :ez-roll: McDermott left them for Creighton. Hoiberg didn't even consider that his dream job. They don't even get the same type of recruits. Please keep talking. You're very funny.

You obviously aren't an adult.

Thanks for the response. Any other childish comments you want to throw out?

Forget the nba coaches. Good grief. I never thought they would take the job just that they might reach out.

You are obsessed with pointing out the fact that Sutton went there bc he had issues. We all know. He got fired at Kentucky. We know. They still hired him.

Thanks for the response. Any other childish comments you want to throw out?

Forget the nba coaches. Good grief. I never thought they would take the job just that they might reach out.

Funny coming from the guy who used the term "stop crying". Just stop.

You are obsessed with pointing out the fact that Sutton went there bc he had issues. We all know. He got fired at Kentucky. We know. They still hired him.

Not to pile on, but the fact that sutton's checkered past was the main reason osu pulled him is valid to the BOB's argument.

I usually would expect osu to make a somewhat coveted hire but Ford's buyout and the cost it will take to land a bigger name coach could be problematic for the pokes. Let's hope they land another lemon like ford!

Thus proving the only way osu gets a good coach is for him to cheat and be a drunk with no other options.

I don't think Silo Tech would ever consider Kelvin, for the simple reason that he was at OU. I said the same thing earlier in this thread in regard to Bob Hoffman. I honestly believe they'd never hire a true Sooner if they could help it, especially Kelvin. There was scuttlebutt after Hansen left that OU assistant Jim Kerwin, a Stillwater native, wanted the job, but their AD wouldn't give him the time of day due to his being a "cheatin' Gooner."

Dixon played at tcu so if he was top leave Pitt, I see him going to tcu before going to OSU. I just don't see Dixon leaving.

OSU might look really hard at Sampson. Sampson not making the tourney might help their case to land him. Chris Mack is another coach. He's done really well at Xavier. Mark Turgeon at Maryland. They might be able to bring him back to the mid west. He played at Kansas, coached at Wichita and aTm. He had success in the big 12. He's losing a bunch of guys and he might feel more comfortable in this area.

Might reach out to brad Stevens and Billy Donovan. Their not exactly having the greatest success in the nba.

Lulz @ this whole post.. why not throw in Phil Jackson's name too?

Back