Is there an expectation on Capel to recruit MCDAA's now?

thebigabd

Reaction score
Under Kelvin, fans never really had an expectation to sign MCDAA's. However, after signing 4 of them in 3 years, does an expectation now exist for Capel to sign at least one every year?

I remember being thrilled with guys like Bookout, Alexander, Everett, Gray, Neal, Ere, etc... Under Kelvin, signing an instant impact juco all-american was kind of like signing a MCDAA, because it was the best OU had.

Will you consider a class to be great without MCDAA's anymore? Or will we be talking about how bad a class is if he does not have at least one in the books?

I don't think if he doesn't sign one every year that anyone should be disappointed. But I think the trend will continue of signing them often and also signing other highly rated kids like Drew Fitzgerald, TJ Taylor, etc.

Under Kelvin, fans never really had an expectation to sign MCDAA's. However, after signing 4 of them in 3 years, does an expectation now exist for Capel to sign at least one every year?

I remember being thrilled with guys like Bookout, Alexander, Everett, Gray, Neal, Ere, etc... Under Kelvin, signing an instant impact juco all-american was kind of like signing a MCDAA, because it was the best OU had.

Will you consider a class to be great without MCDAA's anymore? Or will we be talking about how bad a class is if he does not have at least one in the books?

I think it's his expectation, and I also think that he has campaigned and promoted McD's AA in a subtle way. I remember him touting Tiny as a McD's AA in a national interview last year when Tiny's stock was plumeting. One trend that is not going to change is the top Player in Texas being a McD's AA. Last year it was Griffin, year before Warren, the year before, from a political standpoint it was Lucas, although it probably should have been Randolph, Jordan, or Johnson. This year it's going to be either Pressey or Clark. I think McCallum, Clark, and Pressey all have good chances. OU has a chance to land atleast one, and maybe two of those guys.

No question Coach Capel has set the recruiting bar higher than OU fans have been accustomed to over the years. But I'm also a realist, so I definitely will not be disappointed if we don't sign one or more all-star caliber recruit with every class.

Speaking for myself, I couldn't be more pleased with the solid recruiting foundation our coaches are building.

It wasn't that long ago when Sampson defenders argued on a regular basis that having McDonalds AA and NBA players was not important.

It was all about keeping that streak of 20 win seasons and post season tournament appearance streak alive. heh

It wasn't that long ago when Sampson defenders argued on a regular basis that having McDonalds AA and NBA players was not important.

It was all about keeping that streak of 20 win seasons and post season tournament appearance streak alive. heh

It was, but the program was built on the back of Kelvin Sampson from an X's and O's standpoint. Now the program is younger, more energetic, more sexy and appealing to recruits. Blake Griffin has layed a great foundation and WW is continuing on that. Sampson, as much as I like him as a coach and respect him from a pure basketball standpoint found ways to alienate these of guys before he got them or shortly after they arrived to OU. In the past, we would follow a recruiting battle like Darrell Arthur, Brandon Rush, Chris Douglas-Roberts, and Azubuike, to only be dissappointed. Even when we signed guys like Drew, LMac, Humphrey, and Alexander, these careers manage to fizzle out at OU and thrive at other Universities.

It doesn't really matter how highly recruited guys are. Hopefully he can get guys that fits what he wants to do.

It doesn't really matter how highly recruited guys are. Hopefully he can get guys that fits what he wants to do.

Since highly recruited players tend to be better than non-highly-recruited players, and since what Capel wants to do is win, I would say it most definitely matters.

Since highly recruited players tend to be better than non-highly-recruited players, and since what Capel wants to do is win, I would say it most definitely matters.

Yep.
There's a reason the team that wins it all every year is loaded with highly ranked kids.

You're absolutely correct. Jeff deserves a lot of credit for exterminating the MEDIOCRE attitude that permeated throughout the program.

It was, but the program was built on the back of Kelvin Sampson from an X's and O's standpoint. Now the program is younger, more energetic, more sexy and appealing to recruits. Blake Griffin has layed a great foundation and WW is continuing on that. Sampson, as much as I like him as a coach and respect him from a pure basketball standpoint found ways to alienate these of guys before he got them or shortly after they arrived to OU. In the past, we would follow a recruiting battle like Darrell Arthur, Brandon Rush, Chris Douglas-Roberts, and Azubuike, to only be dissappointed. Even when we signed guys like Drew, LMac, Humphrey, and Alexander, these careers manage to fizzle out at OU and thrive at other Universities.
Well said.

There's a reason the team that wins it all every year is loaded with highly ranked kids.
Thank you.

I think mediocre is a bit harsh and a disservice to the kids that kept us in the post season and near the top of the Big 12.

Do I think Capel has raised the bar in recruiting. Absolutely. Kelvin was improving and did a good job in his only year at Indiana under virtually impossible restrictions. But Capel has brought in players that we only hoped for in former years. Scotty Reynolds and Lavender appeared in the mcD game but Warren, Blake and Tiny donminated in the game.

Since sports fans are often what have you done for me lately oriented certainly now that Capel has landed some top guys he will have to keep feeding the beast.

Next year will be a challenge for Capel with the x's and o's. We seldom had a great game from Willie and Blake at the same time in 08-09. Hopefully next years team doesn't end up as Willie dominating and inconsistent support from the other pieces of the team.

Just because we didn't have expectations of signing McDs AA's, doesn't mean we were against it. In fact, I hoped for it every year. Personally, I think you should go after the best guys every year, as they fall by the wayside, you move down the list. It seems Capel hasn't had to go as far down the list as Kelvin did.

Even when we signed guys like Drew, LMac, Humphrey, and Alexander, these careers manage to fizzle out at OU and thrive at other Universities.

The revisionist history continues apace.

None of those careers "fizzled" at OU, and none of them did a thing elsewhere that they couldn't have done in Norman under Sampson.

Humphrey went to ND to do EXACTLY what he was doing at OU. Nothing about his college achievements or NBA career path changed one iota. Humphrey himself has admitted as much, admitting he made a mistake in leaving OU.

LMac, who claimed homesickness, hardly set the Big 10 on fire--he did fine, but he could have easily matched those accomplishments in Norman-- and is there a Sooner fan alive who honestly thinks he should have been allowed to play the point, as he was demanding? I think not.

It's a widely accepted fact that both Alexander and Lavender had off-the-court and attitude problems. Drew had undeniable disciplinary issues (and they continued at Xavier, where he came under charges of disorderly conduct and marijuana possession), and he refused to do what Sampson asked him to, which was push the ball (anyone who attended an OU game in those years saw Sampson pleading with Drew to get the ball up the court more quickly). DL did okay after leaving, but were his achievements at the level of a McDonald's AA player? Is he now in the NBA? No, and no.

The same can be said of Alexander, who may have benefited from a change of scenery, but, like Lavender, his problems in Norman were widely reported to have been of his own making. And like Lavender, his improvements may also be attributed, to some degree, at least, to playing against a softer schedule.

And like Lavender, Alexander did fine, but hardly set the world on fire. And he isn't in the league -- never even got a sniff.

None of those players you mentioned experienced the night-and-day shift in their careers that you describe. Not one of them.

I feel as though I've written this freaking post three dozen times over the past couple of years. Perhaps I should save it as a file and just cut and paste it next time. There's sure to be a next time; after all, the same distortions and half-truths (and I'm being generous in choosing those terms) just keep getting repeated.

Meanwhile, Coach Capel's "run off" (I don't believe that, but fair's fair) a few pretty good players himself. But he doesn't get blamed for those players leaving (nor should he, in my view), somehow.

Why? Because no one has an anti-Capel agenda to push, that's why.

Last edited:
Getting this thread back on topic, I don't think any school really outside of Duke & UNC can expect MCDAA every single year. That's just unrealistic because of numbers, who actually makes MCDAA (there are guys just as good that don't make it that do), etc.
As long as Capel keeps recruiting at this high level the MCDAA will come.

None of those careers "fizzled" at OU, and none of them did a thing elsewhere that they couldn't have done in Norman under Sampson.

Drew helped lead his team to the sweet 16 and was all conference, Humphrey was all conference and and got drafted, Deangelo was first team All Atlantic 10 two years in a row, and Lawrence McKenzie was Third team All Big 10 and honorable Mention All big 10 averaging 12 and 14pts in two years. Those guys went on to be productive. You're right, they could have done that at OU, but how did we get to the point where we couldn't keep our best players from transfering to other schools? Not a swipe at Sampson, but something that was frustrating to me. Humphrey is the equivalent of Willie Warren deciding to transfer.

I absolutely love the fact he can draw this type of player, however, I also like players who stay around 4 years to give us something to build on. Either way, I am a proud supporter of Capel and OU basketball.

Back