It's time for Quannas White to come home

If Lon does retire after this season, Joe C will have one great selling point - Three of the past four OU coaches have gotten us to the Final Four, and the one who didn't still got us to the Elite Eight. If his targets can't envision winning big at OU, then he's looking at the wrong targets. Seriously, the last FIVE OU head coaches have at least gotten us to the Sweet 16. How many schools can say that? I know a few who can't: North Carolina, Kentucky, Duke, UCLA and Indiana to name a few. That would be a pretty good indication that there aren't many schools who can make that claim.

If Lon does retire after this season, Joe C will have one great selling point - Three of the past four OU coaches have gotten us to the Final Four, and the one who didn't still got us to the Elite Eight. If his targets can't envision winning big at OU, then he's looking at the wrong targets. Seriously, the last FIVE OU head coaches have at least gotten us to the Sweet 16. How many schools can say that? I know a few who can't: North Carolina, Kentucky, Duke, UCLA and Indiana to name a few. That would be a pretty good indication that there aren't many schools who can make that claim.
Bingo.

I'm going to make a larger post that centers around this point, but you brought up something that's been banging around in my mind for a year or two now. Our success is not tied to Lon Kruger as the head coach. In football, Florida State and Penn State got in trouble by holding onto the only coach to ever get them to the level of prolonged success. Not so here. Five straight regimes to at least the Sweet 16. Four straight to an Elite 8. Not many places can say that.

There is a ton of a talent in the pipeline in the Griffin AAU team, OU has to have a coach that can land the studs off that team at least.

There is a ton of a talent in the pipeline in the Griffin AAU team, OU has to have a coach that can land the studs off that team at least.

there is one coaching them right now that promised many... delivered none.

He wants to be an asst here.

God, what a pipe dream that would be.

Have you watched much of Loyola this year? They are REALLY good. I've got a feeling that this year's team will get him to make the leap. Not a flash in the pan anymore. I saw enough of his FF team to know that those dudes were coached REALLY well.

I want an actual coach that teaches and demands the little things. I agree with your post 100%. I think the guy would be great

Joe C should do his part and force Lon to retire. It’s time to move on. Sure he can coach, has a lot of knowledge. But he clearly can’t recruit, and our results show that. So Joe C should force his hand and then bring in whomever he wants.

this is crazy town stuff

I don't think Boynton or Kellen would be good hires at the moment, either, even if they had 5 kids each. I'm also not sure who Conroy or Stansbury is, and I'd bet Lon is better (and I'm not a Lon blowhard).

Either he's the greatest thing known to man or he's trash? I don't understand why it has to be so polarizing. I think Quannas is a reasonable coaching candidate...eventually. But he needs head coaching experience, or at least be an assistant coach here so we both know what we're getting into. This is the kinda hire TU or ORU should make -- not OU. Not only is he not the HC at Houston, but he's not even the top assistant. If he strung together a couple 20 win seasons at Tulane, or established a Houston-to-OU pipeline in recruiting, I'd be his biggest advocate.

these are very much my thoughts ...

OU when it is time to hire a new coach will be looking at a lot better names that the 3rd coach at houston

Too many schools jump the shark by looking for better "names." I know it ain't football but many of OU's football coaches have come in as not "better names" and done OK. Our best "name" was smells-of-bourbon.

Too many schools jump the shark by looking for better "names." I know it ain't football but many of OU's football coaches have come in as not "better names" and done OK. Our best "name" was smells-of-bourbon.

Outside of "cross-eyes" they were assistants (Riley, Stoops, Blake, Gibbs, Switzer, Fairbanks). This list dates back to 1966.

Or ... ( A, A, D, B-, A, A) and of course the “name” ... “F-“
Not bad for a bunch of “no names”

this is crazy town stuff

We’ll just have to agree to disagree. I’m not satisfied with the results. We aren’t even competing for a conference title, and our conference tournament record under Lon speaks for itself. It is what it is I suppose. As long as Lon is the HC I won’t have much expectations.

We’ll just have to agree to disagree. I’m not satisfied with the results. We aren’t even competing for a conference title, and our conference tournament record under Lon speaks for itself. It is what it is I suppose. As long as Lon is the HC I won’t have much expectations.

Imagine being an OU fan site and being content with the following conference finishes in the last 5 years:

2021 - T6 (7th)
2020 - T3 (3rd)
2019 - T7 (7th)
2018 - T6 (9th)
2017 - 9 (9th)

That is pitiful.

Imagine being an OU fan site and being content with the following conference finishes in the last 5 years:

2021 - T6 (7th)
2020 - T3 (3rd)
2019 - T7 (7th)
2018 - T6 (9th)
2017 - 9 (9th)

That is pitiful.

It's even more pitiful when you consider we were a 3pt prayer away from finishing 6th last year.

Back