It's time for Quannas White to come home

thebigabd

Reaction score
Head Coach: Quannas White
Assistant Coach: Bob Hoffman (currently head coach at UCO)
Assistant Coach: Steve Eck (currently head coach at Hutchinson CC)
Assistant Coach: Hollis Price (currently on staff at Houston under Sampson)

Hoffman has a career record of 618-354.
Eck has a career record of 631-122

Head Coaching Record for Quannas: 1-0 (took over head coaching duties for Houston against South Carolina with both Sampsons out with Covid).... In that game he threw his tie, threw his coat, and marched up and down the sideline and led them to victory.

"Coach Q is the biggest reason I am having this much success. I wouldn't be here without him. The life talks that we have, he's like a father figure to me. I have to give the most credit to him"
-Quentin Grimes

"He's a winner, and I think he’s going to be a terrific head coach"
-Kelvin Sampson

The acting coach called timeout just 72 seconds into the second half. White knows there is no time to wait. This is not the time to go all Phil Jackson Zen and see if this UH team can work it out on its own. Not in a Kelvin Sampson program. Not after watching his guys give up another barely challenged 3-pointer and an alley-oop fast break dunk.

If the halftime message did not take, White will deliver it again just 72 ticks into the new half. With even more forceful and colorful words this time.

Quannas White berserk is a little different from Kelvin Sampson berserk. But it turns out, it’s just as effective in its own way. DeJon Jarreau, Tramon Mark, Quentin Grimes, Brison Gresham, Jamal Shead (yes, Jamal Shead) and company rip off a 14-2 run after White’s quick timeout. Houston never trails again in a 77-67 victory over another Power 5 conference team.

It’s sad that OP has become more interested in getting reaction/views than having serious thoughts about the program. When I started coming to this board, it was because it was/is a great source of info about the program, and we all know the media don’t really cover the team. Knowing there are actually other passionate OU basketball fans was wonderful, and there are still many of those people on here. But increasingly, some posters have decided to go the Skip Bayless route. Hire Haith. No way we hire Q. He will he named lead assistant when Haith gets the Duke job after K retires.

It’s sad that OP has become more interested in getting reaction/views than having serious thoughts about the program. When I started coming to this board, it was because it was/is a great source of info about the program, and we all know the media don’t really cover the team. Knowing there are actually other passionate OU basketball fans was wonderful, and there are still many of those people on here. But increasingly, some posters have decided to go the Skip Bayless route. Hire Haith. No way we hire Q. He will he named lead assistant when Haith gets the Duke job after K retires.

What in the world are you talking about?

yeah he is about 0% qualified to be the OU head coach

Why not? He's older than Mike Boynton. He's only 2 years younger than Shaka Smart. He has more coaching experience than Juwan Howard. The recipe here is the same... They paired Juwan Howard with a coaching veteran in Phil Martelli. Similar to how I paired Quannas White with head coaching veterans from the area in Bob Hoffman and Steve Eck.

He was an AAU Head Coach from 2005-2014, an assistant at Tulane from 2014-2016 under Ed Conroy, in assistant at WKU from 2016-2017 under Rick Stansbury, and an assistant under Kelvin Sampson from 2017-present. On top of that, he was a grad assistant at OU under Sampson. And he was a player under Sampson.

I trust Kelvin's assessment and his players assessment of him as a coach a lot more than I do your immediate dismissal of him.

Last edited:
yeah he is about 0% qualified to be the OU head coach

Qualities and results are usually a mixed bag. If someone were over qualified and the results were unsatisfactory that does not make the results better than they are. If the favorite in a horse race loses out it does not make the loss more satisfying because the horse was the favorite. Same goes for those deemed as unqualified.

Your idea of "serious thoughts" = Kruger is great/we can't do any better/next year will be fabulous.

I know. I've seen it before. Only a few posters here have "serious thoughts". Ya'll defended Capel almost to the very end. You'll do the same for the next coach.

You’re one of the main reasons I don’t come here more

Don't think we want Eck ever and dunno if he will ever leave Hutch.

BD05587A-BDE5-4B6E-87B3-71A64C0B2E28.jpeg

WKU-mens-basketball.png

I'd be open to bringing him on as an assistant with potential to replace Lon in the coming years if all goes well. A little quick to pull the trigger on this hire, but there are definitely worse decisions that could be made. I know he coached AAU ball for a while, so if he has strong recruiting ties throughout the area, I might be on board with pulling the trigger more quickly.

I'd be open to bringing him on as an assistant with potential to replace Lon in the coming years if all goes well. A little quick to pull the trigger on this hire, but there are definitely worse decisions that could be made. I know he coached AAU ball for a while, so if he has strong recruiting ties throughout the area, I might be on board with pulling the trigger more quickly.

I highly doubt he would leave Kelvin Sampson for anything less than a head coaching job. Why would you assist under Lon when you could assist under Sampson? He has a decades long relationship with Kelvin, is achieving more with Kelvin, will learn more with Kelvin, etc.

The thought of this gets me really excited. Only could imagine the excitement players being recruited would probably have.

FWIW, I really like Lon. I'm not posting this to bash Lon at all. This would just be awesome if/when Lon steps down.

I'm game! The chance of it happening is probably nil, unfortunately. Ready for some young enthusiasm and talent infusion though..

Back