It's time for Quannas White to come home

I have never gotten the Bob Hoffman love. He is so overrated by some on this board.

Nobody loves HP and Q more than I do, but I'm not sure that is the right move. I think they'd struggle to recruit to OU, without a high level recruiting assistant. I also think both are very happy in Houston and working with Kelvin. Not saying Q would turn down the HC job if offered, but I'm not sure you'd get HP to come with for an equal job. Who knows.

If Quannas wants to "come home" then he needs to be the next HC at Tulane. Wonderful guy. Love him to death. Had classes with him. I think our job is a bit too high for his current CV. He's learning under the best, though. The last time OU Hoops hired a HC without prior experience in the job was Dave Bliss in 1975. Pretty good hire, but everyone since has had a D-1 job on their resume.

You’re one of the main reasons I don’t come here more
Romulus! Stick around. I've been posting on boards alongside you forever it seems.

I had a lot of the same troubles you describe. I finally had to start adding to my ignore list, and it's made all the difference. It used to just be a party of one (for when coolm would go off the rails), but I added to it a few months back and it's greatly helped my reading experience.

I highly doubt he would leave Kelvin Sampson for anything less than a head coaching job. Why would you assist under Lon when you could assist under Sampson? He has a decades long relationship with Kelvin, is achieving more with Kelvin, will learn more with Kelvin, etc.

Because Kellen is HC-in-waiting there. He'd be auditioning for the HC job, which will never be the case unless a big program swoops in for Kellen. Additionally, though I'm a huge fan of KS, I think that what you learn under somebody starts to taper off significantly after 4-5 years, which is right about where he is. Yes, KS is a far superior coach, but I think it's silly to believe he couldn't learn anything from Lon.

I have never gotten the Bob Hoffman love. He is so overrated by some on this board.

Nobody loves HP and Q more than I do, but I'm not sure that is the right move. I think they'd struggle to recruit to OU, without a high level recruiting assistant. I also think both are very happy in Houston and working with Kelvin. Not saying Q would turn down the HC job if offered, but I'm not sure you'd get HP to come with for an equal job. Who knows.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. He's already making connections in Houston, and has a decade of experience in Louisiana AAU. If OU can recruit in Houston, Dallas, OKC, Tulsa, and Louisiana, then recruiting won't be the issue.

No, he isn't. Unless by being "an ass," you mean he refuses to toe the sky-is-falling line when the Glass Half Empty Club is in full roar.

Being “an ass” is a little too strong, but even I get tired of his condescending lectures. Every poster on this board has a right to an opinion, a right I have defended since this web site’s inception.

More importantly, I love OU basketball and I love this board. That should be obvious by the twelve plus years I have contributed my time as an admin here. But, I don’t need anyone to tell me how I should act or think. You understand why I say that better than anyone.

I’m sick of the lectures, too. If that makes me a traitor to the “sunshine pumper’s” and the “Lon is a good ole’ boy” clubs, so be it.

Being “an ass” is a little too strong, but even I get tired of his condescending lectures. Every poster on this board has a right to an opinion, a right I have defended since this web site’s inception.

More importantly, I love OU basketball and I love this board. That should be obvious by the twelve plus years I have contributed my time as an admin here. But, I don’t need anyone to tell me how I should act or think. You understand why I say that better than anyone.

I’m sick of the lectures, too. If that makes me a traitor to the “sunshine pumper’s” and the “Lon is a good ole’ boy” clubs, so be it.

I hate preaching to others, but the root cause for the back and forth babble between certain posters is they refuse to see things for as they are and instead will only see the good or see the bad in things. What they refuse to accept is that a middle ground exits and most things in life are found within this middle ground. In some circles, you and I, and others as well, will be seen as either having God like status or we are the devil incarnate when the truth actually reveals we are actually firmly planted right in the middle where we always have existed and always will exist. It is beyond tiring!

Anyone close to the program know if/when Kruger plans to retire? And if we have a list of candidates to replace him?

Romulus! Stick around. I've been posting on boards alongside you forever it seems.

I had a lot of the same troubles you describe. I finally had to start adding to my ignore list, and it's made all the difference. It used to just be a party of one (for when coolm would go off the rails), but I added to it a few months back and it's greatly helped my reading experience.

Much love to you my friend, we’ve had our debates as well but it was always fun and spirited. I do miss having a passion for OU basketball.

The fact Boykin is kicking butt at osu....after 2 yrs and sanctions overhead... Kruger is kruger after 10 yrs...should say something

The fact Boykin is kicking butt at osu....after 2 yrs and sanctions overhead... Kruger is kruger after 10 yrs...should say something

Not sure who Boykin is, but Mike Boynton has been at Oklahoma State four years. This will be his first tournament appearance and he has done a very good job this season and has a team that could make a good run. By comparison, Lon inherited a worse situation and by the end of year four, had three tournament appearances and a Sweet 16 under his belt.

Not sure who Boykin is, but Mike Boynton has been at Oklahoma State four years. This will be his first tournament appearance and he has done a very good job this season and has a team that could make a good run. By comparison, Lon inherited a worse situation and by the end of year four, had three tournament appearances and a Sweet 16 under his belt.

Ugh. That doesnt help your argument or your reputation. It just makes you look immature.

smh

Why is quannas above hollis in coaching that game for Houston? I thought hollis was further along?

Ugh. That doesnt help your argument or your reputation. It just makes you look immature.

His entire point is that Boynton has had fast success at osu; being completely wrong on how long he has been there is pretty darn relevant.

Because Kellen is HC-in-waiting there. He'd be auditioning for the HC job, which will never be the case unless a big program swoops in for Kellen. Additionally, though I'm a huge fan of KS, I think that what you learn under somebody starts to taper off significantly after 4-5 years, which is right about where he is. Yes, KS is a far superior coach, but I think it's silly to believe he couldn't learn anything from Lon.

Exactly. He’s not getting a head gig at Houston. If he wants the OU job go be a head coach somewhere or come to OU as an assistant for 1-2 years & show you could do it.

Exactly. He’s not getting a head gig at Houston. If he wants the OU job go be a head coach somewhere or come to OU as an assistant for 1-2 years & show you could do it.

I disagree with this logic completely.....

OU needs to decide the future direction of the program. If they think bringing home a guy like Quannas who has played and coached for one of our legends (Sampson) is good for the program, they should bring him in... He's 41. He's older than Kellen Sampson and Mike Boynton. He has a wife and 4 kids. He's not some kid. He's been assisting long enough under Conroy, Stansbury, and Sampson. He doesn't need to go assist for 5 more years.

You either think he is a legitimate and upcoming part of the Sampson coaching tree (which I would be willing to take a stab at), or you don't.

Why is quannas above hollis in coaching that game for Houston? I thought hollis was further along?

I think (could be wrong) Hollis played a lot longer than Quannas. So Quannas got into coaching way earlier than Hollis did. Plus Quannas has more aptitude for it. He was like a coach on the floor as a player.

Just like any sport, you got to recruit at a high level each year. Funny not long ago there was lots of talk for LK coach of the year. He isn't going anywhere unless he wants to. Lon is doing about what the higher ups at OU want. Stay out of trouble, make a decent NCAA run once in a while. Just about everyone here knew about what you could expect from LK coach team

I would be fine with giving Hollis, Kellen or Quannis a shot here. They are all quality people with what I consider a high level basketball IQ. The only question to me is recruiting.

Back