John Higgins

WichitaSooner

Reaction score
Just saw a graphic on the Baylor game tonight showing his schedule this week. Two Big 12 games, two B1G, two PAC 12, and one WCC. Just highlights that refs aren’t associated with any conference and aren’t even regional in the games they work. Coast to coast, independent contractors.

Just saw a graphic on the Baylor game tonight showing his schedule this week. Two Big 12 games, two B1G, two PAC 12, and one WCC. Just highlights that refs aren’t associated with any conference and aren’t even regional in the games they work. Coast to coast, independent contractors.

I haven’t always agreed with every call he’s made, but I admire his work ethic. He’s just as apt to be in Seattle as he is Miami.

They’re still paid by the conferences right? Not really sure if I understand how the officials being independent contractors or however one wants to phrase it makes it substantially less likely that the Big 12 definitely has an incentive to see OU/Texas underperform right now. If the Big 12 is cutting the checks, don’t think it really matters if they’re direct employees or not.

The sooner both schools can get out of the Big 12, the better it will be for them.

He’s a jackass and inserts himself into the game too much.

Don't understand some people's need to constantly defend officials.

Scrybe, where did I defend anyone? Pointing out that the conspiracy theory is ridiculous because it has no logic behind it isn’t defending refs or saying they do a good job. I guess what I don’t get is why some people walk around thinking everyone is out to get us.

Scrybe, where did I defend anyone? Pointing out that the conspiracy theory is ridiculous because it has no logic behind it isn’t defending refs or saying they do a good job. I guess what I don’t get is why some people walk around thinking everyone is out to get us.

Wichita, a constant and ad nauseam reference to "conspiracy theories" every time someone criticizes officials is what's ridiculous to me. I, for one, don't subscribe to any conspiracy theory, but I'll certainly criticize the officiating any time I believe it's warranted.

I've tried to search for how refs are set up now but can't find anything.
However, there certainly has to be some type of regional schedule. I highly doubt it is just a free for all. That just doesn't make sense. And maybe it has changed but I definitely remember going through college and seeing the same refs for many of the games

Scrybe, I’ll admit that I have been guilty of defending officials over the years. I have also criticized them on occasion. Officiating basketball is one of the toughest jobs in sports. I officiated high school ball for fifteen years. It may not be the same as college, but it gave me an appreciation for basketball officials, you can’t get from watching a game and pretending to know how officials see a violation, or a no call that should be ignored.

As for John Higgins, the only thing perfect about him is his hair. It’s never out of place, even at the end of a game. He doesn’t get every cali or no call right. No official does. That’s not possible in officiating basketball. Everyone on this board, including me, should think about that when we call our next game from a comfortable seat or chair.

I believe they are affiliated with a conference. In football at least. I know a college football official. He used to be a BIG official but he found a better deal in the ACC.

He's done some CFP'S. I think he did one of OU's. Alabama maybe.

Wichita, a constant and ad nauseam reference to "conspiracy theories" every time someone criticizes officials is what's ridiculous to me. I, for one, don't subscribe to any conspiracy theory, but I'll certainly criticize the officiating any time I believe it's warranted.

And my post isn't directed at you. It was directed at the posts we constantly see this season that there is, in fact, a conspiracy against OU and Texas since we announced the move to the SEC. I can go back and find dozens of those posts if you'd like. I agree with you -- nothing wrong with calling out bad calls or bad refs.

I believe they are affiliated with a conference. In football at least. I know a college football official. He used to be a BIG official but he found a better deal in the ACC.

He's done some CFP'S. I think he did one of OU's. Alabama maybe.

College basketball refs are not employed by conferences. College football refs are. It's not a mystery. Watch any football noncon game and announcers will say which conference the crew is from. This isn't the case in basketball.

I've tried to search for how refs are set up now but can't find anything.
However, there certainly has to be some type of regional schedule. I highly doubt it is just a free for all. That just doesn't make sense. And maybe it has changed but I definitely remember going through college and seeing the same refs for many of the games

There is plenty of info available. If you think it is regional and not up to each ref and league who to hire for each game, how do you account for Higgins's schedule? He is not an outlier. College basketball writers even tweeted about it last night -- one said that he respects his work ethic, but that the sport shouldn't allow guys to work that many days in a row. As of now, guys can work as many games in as many parts of the country as they want.

. As of now, guys can work as many games in as many parts of the country as they want.

Do you have any sources for this?
This seems like a recipe for disaster, but that doesn't surprise me with the NCAA.

and am I crazy in remembering conferences having their own refs and the same group or refs doing games together?

Do you have any sources for this?
This seems like a recipe for disaster, but that doesn't surprise me with the NCAA.

and am I crazy in remembering conferences having their own refs and the same group or refs doing games together?

conf do hire refs and the same group of guys work almost all big 12 games ..

but unlike football they can also work other games .. in other conf ..

even on the bama broadcast last weekend jimmy dykes called it a "big 12 crew"

Guys I ref college ball for 25 yrs and I use to say that half the time I was 50% wrong and the other half I was 100% wrong. I always enjoyed games where the crowd would get really noisy and get on our backs then I knew we were doing our jobs. I honestly believe that a fan has a right to get on the officials and that the officials job is to control the game but not be the bigger figure. When I left a game and people didn't know who I was I did my job.

College basketball refs are not employed by conferences. College football refs are. It's not a mystery. Watch any football noncon game and announcers will say which conference the crew is from. This isn't the case in basketball.
Are the schools (home team I guess) paying for the refs? Or are the conferences?

If the conferences (which seems far more likely) are paying for the officials even if they are not direct league employees, I don’t see how this makes it any less likely. If OU/Texas move is hurting the league from a revenue perspective (it undoubtedly is), the incentives for poor officiating is still there. One can choose not to believe there is a campaign to hurt OU/Texas (totally legitimate opinion) but again, don’t see how the “contractor” status makes it any less likely if they’re collecting a check from the league for their services.

I don’t think more favorable officiating is suddenly turning OU bball into world beaters but bad officiating has seemed pretty consistent since the 2021 announcement in the major men’s sports and the league staff is clearly shaken. The league is (counter to their $ interests) throwing a fit about any continuing athletic relationship for remaining programs not covered by the SEC (wrestling notably) and their former commissioner spoke of the relationship with OU/Texas in terms of a “betrayal.”

conf do hire refs and the same group of guys work almost all big 12 games ..

but unlike football they can also work other games .. in other conf ..

even on the bama broadcast last weekend jimmy dykes called it a "big 12 crew"
Thanks, that’s what I assumed even if the refs are taking on other jobs.

Back