Key to victory today

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
What is your top key for the Sooners upsetting the Zags?

Mine: Willie Warren playing defense with the same amount of effort as the rest of the starters.

I am not saying that that is the only way that we beat GU (Lord knows we are going to need a lot of other things to happen), but if he doesn't play with more heart on D, then I don't think there is any way that OU wins.

What is your top key?

Last edited:
All five on the floor play hard on both ends for all 40 minutes.

Defense!
Hopefully TMG and Tiny show their ready to play after missing practice!

Key's to victory today.

1. Matt Bouldin and Steven Gray suspsended for missing practice.
2. Go back in time and force Juan Patillo to go to class.
3. Blake Griffin's knee heals and he is granted a repreive from the Clips and given his eligibility back due to poor circumstances.

Two words: TEAM DEFENSE!

That means everyone on the team has to sell out on D the entire game and not take plays off. Anything less and OU will be 8-5. That assumes, of course, that most of our miscues on defense so far this season were corrected in practice, and this team finally understands what "help defense" is all about.

I'm optimistic that we will see a totally different team on D tonight. Let's hope I'm right.

Willie Warren needs to stop being a prima donna and stop complaining about not getting touches. News flash: There's more to being a leader then hogging the ball.

Besides that...an insane amount of luck. I wouldn't count on it considering OU's luck in all sports this year.

If the Zag's shoot poorly and have a bunch of unforced turnovers, we might have a chance to beat these guys. I'll say Zags by 15.

Oh yeah, I don't expect the "D" to show up all the sudden for this game. We've stood around and have taken plays off every game; all year. I hope I'm wrong. :)

Last edited:
If the Zag's shoot poorly and have a bunch of unforced turnovers, we might have a chance to beat these guys. I'll say Zags by 15.

Oh yeah, I don't expect the "D" to show up all the sudden for this game. We've stood around and have taken plays off every game; all year. I hope I'm wrong. :)

I disagree with you. Crocker and Cade have both been really good since Alaska (Cade has had a couple of ok games defensively but has still put in the effort). TMG and Tiny look night and day better since Alaska. Do they still have a ways to go? Sure. But to act like they haven't improved is bogus.

The one that has to step up is Willie. We also need Ryan to use his 5 fouls and punish guards that drive the lane.

Here's the only key. Defense defense defense. If we defend well we can beat just about anyone in the country. But if we play the non defense we've played all year we won't win many games.

I disagree with you. Crocker and Cade have both been really good since Alaska (Cade has had a couple of ok games defensively but has still put in the effort). TMG and Tiny look night and day better since Alaska. Do they still have a ways to go? Sure. But to act like they haven't improved is bogus.

The one that has to step up is Willie. We also need Ryan to use his 5 fouls and punish guards that drive the lane.

To act like what is bogus? Don't put words in my mouth! Appreciate your comments. Happy New Year!

Shoot over 50% and don't turn it over and we win. It's that simple.

Defense defense defense. And yet more defense. And still more defense. Defense a la outrance! In your face defense. etc,etc.

Shoot over 50% and don't turn it over and we win. It's that simple.

That's almost impossible to do unless you have a big guy inside that's the center of your offense. Capel/Coach K's style doesn't really allow for many 50% nights because they like to use the 3 point shot a lot.

We shot 49.2% for the season last year. We are down to 45.4% this year. That is the difference. Believe it or not we actually turn the ball over less this year than last.

We were terribly turnover prone last year and this year is still pretty bad but we are giving it up once less per game.

Time is running out to clean up our game before conference play begins.

Last edited:
We shot 49.2% for the season last year. We are down to 45.4% this year. That is the difference. Believe it or not we actually turn the ball over less this year than last.

We were terribly turnover prone last year and this year is still pretty bad but we are giving it up once less per game.

Time is running out to clean up our game before conference play begins.

We had Blake Griffin last year. And we were very good at shooting inside. Right now we really have one guy that can shoot inside and he's young and doesn't really play that well half the time. He's never been a real post player his entire life. That's a huge difference. We had Taylor and Blake Griffin both were good inside shooters. Right now we just have a bunch of jump shooters basically. 50% is unrealistic. One time we did shoot over 50% this year we lost that game.

You just explained why we have lost games Nick. People want to blame defense or WW or whatever but until we shoot the ball better we will not win games vs good teams.

BTW guards are allowed to take it to the hole too. They are not obligated to shoot outside all the time. This is why Cade Davis should not be playing much. No good team has a 35% shooter out there pumping up 3s.

WW needs to play just like he did vs Utah and take it to the hole and our field goal % will go up and we will win games.

You can't expect a guard oriented team to shoot 50%, great guards shoot in the mid 40s at best unless you are superstar great.

Back