LJ Rose

Seymore Cox

Reaction score
One of the best underclassmen in the country from Texas is listing OU as one of his early top 4. This kid is a future McD's guy without doubt and was on the first 16U national team.

L.J. Rose has offers from Memphis, Oklahoma, Kentucky, and Texas. Also he has received interest from Texas A&M, UCLA, USC, Baylor, Mississippi State, LSU, and New Mexico

One of the best underclassmen in the country from Texas is listing OU as one of his early top 4. This kid is a future McD's guy without doubt and was on the first 16U national team.

Word is that LJ Rose, J Mychael Reese and their "coach" are a package deal to whoever makes that hire.

Word is that LJ Rose, J Mychael Reese and their "coach" are a package deal to whoever makes that hire.

What???? They play for Houston Hoops. Their coach is Marland Lowe. Guy could have been a package deal with a number of schools. Reese real coach is his dad who is a former TAMU standout. Reese likely ends up there or at UT. Where do you get your info?

I would never hire a 'coach' to get a kid......that just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Look what it got Baylor too.......a 'coach' and no player. LOL

That is exactly what I cannot STAND about AAU......a bunch of crooks and hangers-on.

I hope that is not true at all. (and I am , in no way, saying that these guys' AAU coach would do this....simply stating that the way this has happened repeatedly in the recent past is AWFUL.

What???? They play for Houston Hoops. Their coach is Marland Lowe. Guy could have been a package deal with a number of schools. Reese real coach is his dad who is a former TAMU standout. Reese likely ends up there or at UT. Where do you get your info?

I heard this from a guy very close to the A&M program. Don't know how valid it is, but this guy has always given me reliable info in the past.

I would never hire a 'coach' to get a kid......that just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Look what it got Baylor too.......a 'coach' and no player. LOL

That is exactly what I cannot STAND about AAU......a bunch of crooks and hangers-on.

I hope that is not true at all. (and I am , in no way, saying that these guys' AAU coach would do this....simply stating that the way this has happened repeatedly in the recent past is AWFUL.

there are plenty of guys in AAU ball that do have the kids' best interest at heart. But you are right, the money, runners and package deals have gotten out of hand.

The situation with Selby the PG who committed to Tennessee and then decided to open up his recruitment after his mother had an enlightening conversation with World Wide Wesley is what is currently wrong with college basketball.

Who's to say he's not qualified though? It's all about connections.
You could say KSU hired Dalonte Hill to get Beasley but Dalonte Hill has proven to be a great recruiter. He's invaluable as an assistant. In fact, he's much better than Frank Martin.
Where are assistant coaches supposed to come from?

I echo what Cheno said. I think if you are going to go that route, it should be of strategic value to the program and not just to get one player for one year. Hill at KSU was a terrific hire for them at least in terms of establishing a recruiting pipeline.

Chalmers' dad is still with the KU program, right? I did see that Byron Smith- DeAndre Jordan's AAU coach was laid off recently at A&M. So obviously there was no long term plan there.

I would speculate and say that Dwon Clifton being hired at Baylor was in part to secure John Wall for one year. But also in part to establish a D-1 Sports/ North Carolina pipeline just as Hill as done for KSU in DC. If you take a glance at the 2011- 2012 kids from NC that are top recruits they have Baylor in the mix (Quincy Miller, etc...)

Baylor's new coaching hire will establish a pipeline in the New York City/ Boston area. The goal in college recruiting is to get as many NBA players on your roster as possible. And you are seeing more teams from the power conferences extend their recruiting beyond their regional borders.

I actually think the national recruiting focus of UT, A&M and Baylor helps schools like OU and OSU because slots fill up from out of state. That leaves lots of talent in Houston, San Antonio, Austin, Dallas and Fort Worth to choose from. With so many games in the power conferences being televised. And the prominence of social media to stay in touch with family- Skype, Facebook, etc... I think the issue of going away from home is becoming less of an obstacle to these players and their families.

Last edited:
Why are all the thread turning into Baylor and KU threads.

I haven't seen Rose play, but I have seen Reese. Good to see Rose listing OU though.

Back