Mawein and Johnson

Stikboy

Reaction score
Was out and didn't get to watch the game yet. But I saw in the game thread some comments related to Jacob Groves struggling.

It seemed like a big recruiting get when Moser stole Mawein from Arkansas. He's only playing mop up, so I guess he's not been as good in practice as Groves. Isn't he a tremendous athlete? I guess he's not ready. Seems like a shame that two of the best athletes on the team(AK and Johnson) are barely playing, at all. Johnson is a great athlete too and in just tiny minutes he's shown athletic explosion and an ability to score. I realize there must be limitations for both(Johnson is disciplinary and trust issue I get it) but it's frustrating when your best athletes can't get on the court.

I think we’ll see more of Johnson. He can get a bucket, and that’s what we need more than anything.

Mawein is as much of a tweener as Jacob groves is right now. Not sure who they are going to guard. Jacob would be okay if his shot is falling, but it’s just not.

I think Johnson is working his way out of the doghouse. The unique part of Johnson will be Jacob Groves. Johnson is better, but Groves probably has came in and did all he’s been asked to do.

However there are times you just can’t play J Groves.

Big Rick> Malwein. Malwein should redshirt like Kur 3 years ago and Rick 2 years ago.

Last edited:
I think Johnson is working his way out of the doghouse. The unique part of Johnson will be Jacob Groves. Johnson is better, but Groves probably has came in and did all he’s been asked to do.

Big Rick> Malwein. Malwein should redshirt like Kur 3 years ago and Rick 2 years ago.

Good to see you back posting Seymore. So AK is a post? Disappointing if what you say is true. I think OU has some good pieces for this year I just think they’re missing another big wing who can score/defend. Seems like OU goes from a bunch of undersized point guard types to a “wing” like J Groves who like has been said is a tweener. I think OU will struggle to rebound in the Big 12. What a phenomenal job Hill is doing so far though. TGroves rebounds ok. They need help.

He can’t redshirt. Kur got hurt and received a medical hardship.

I think we’ll see more of Johnson. He can get a bucket, and that’s what we need more than anything.

Mawein is as much of a tweener as Jacob groves is right now. Not sure who they are going to guard. Jacob would be okay if his shot is falling, but it’s just not.

Jacob had us fooled when he went six for six from three in the exhibition game. None of us expected a repeat of that performance, nor did we think he would go into an immediate slump to start the regular season.

The most surprising, and troubling, part to me is his defense. He appears to be helpless inside against someone his size or bigger.

Jacob had us fooled when he went six for six from three in the exhibition game. None of us expected a repeat of that performance, nor did we think he would go into an immediate slump to start the regular season.

The most surprising, and troubling, part to me is his defense. He appears to be helpless inside against someone his size or bigger.

he played well just 2 games ago vs Indiana St ...

he is young and he will be up and down ...

Johnson just looks like a player...i hope he does what is needed to get on the court because I think he could help a ton

he played well just 2 games ago vs Indiana St ...

he is young and he will be up and down ...

I agree on both counts!

The ISU game was about what most of us expected. Personally, I would be thrilled with 11 ppg and maybe 3 or 4 rebounds. I think he’s more than capable of those numbers, but he may need a season in OU’s strength and conditioning program to put on a few pounds of muscle before he’ll be consistent.

I agree on both counts!

The ISU game was about what most of us expected. Personally, I would be thrilled with 11 ppg and maybe 3 or 4 rebounds. I think he’s more than capable of those numbers, but he may need a season in OU’s strength and conditioning program to put on a few pounds of muscle before he’ll be consistent.

I'm sure you're right, but it's frustrating that he needs that much seasoning. It's his second year of D1 ball; it's not unreasonable to hope, if not expect, that he'd be less of a project than that.

All that said, he may just be in a slump; he could snap out of it and start hitting more of his shots any day now.

I'm sure you're right, but it's frustrating that he needs that much seasoning. It's his second year of D1 ball; it's not unreasonable to hope, if not expect, that he'd be less of a project than that.

All that said, he may just be in a slump; he could snap out of it and start hitting more of his shots any day now.

To be clear, I think Jacob needs to add more weight (specifically muscle) to his 6’ 9” frame. If what we have been told is correct, he is a couple of inches taller than he was last year. Getting bigger and stronger in OU’s strength and conditioning program would allow him to use his size (height) to an advantage. The bigs he was guarding in last night’s game were a little too comfortable with scoring on him inside.

Johnson striked me as more of a one on one player and I don't think that fits Mosers game. He does seem to be explosive and athletic and I hope he works his way into the lineup or at least the top 8.

he also grew 3 inches in last last 12 months ... that effects lots of things ..

Johnson will be lucky to be on the team in January.

Back