Maybe this is what we are as a program?

It's hard to believe that after the Final 4 run with Buddy & Cousins that the next 2 seasons OU went 29-34.Lon missed on taking full advantage of recruiting from that Final 4 appearance.

Hard to imagine the team isn't really good next year. Can't blame talent next year.

Nah, that's BS.

Billy and Kelvin finished in the top 3 of the conference in 20 of their 26 seasons. THAT is who OU basketball is as a program.

That is a pretty remarkable stat btw. Kelvin did it 10 of 12 seasons, and Billy 10 of 14.

Maybe we just haven't hired the right coaches the past two times.

Also, looking at the history of the Oklahoma basketball program, OU has a winning record over every Big-8 and Big-12 conference foe, except for Kansas. That is quite remarkable for a "football school,"

Regarding Current Times: This is NOT what we have been as a program, as we have had better coaching in the past.

God bless Lon. I like him personally and believe he is a fine man, but he has not shown CONSISTENT winning results at any of the programs he has led over his career.

I miss the days when OU Basketball Fans used to complain that winning 20+ games year-after-year was not good enough.

Also, looking at the history of the Oklahoma basketball program, OU has a winning record over every Big-8 and Big-12 conference foe, except for Kansas. That is quite remarkable for a "football school,"

Regarding Current Times: This is NOT what we have been as a program, as we have had better coaching in the past.

God bless Lon. I like him personally and believe he is a fine man, but he has not shown CONSISTENT winning results at any of the programs he has led over his career.

I miss the days when OU Basketball Fans used to complain that winning 20+ games year-after-year was not good enough.

Very well said.

I remember those days well, Traveler! Never thought we would be happy with a 20 wins season and winning a game or two in post season play. Boy, was I wrong!

I remember those days well, Traveler! Never thought we would be happy with a 20 wins season and winning a game or two in post season play. Boy, was I wrong!

At the time, it was difficult to recognize how good we had it. Billy and Kelvin combined to give us an amazing 26 year run. In different ways, they molded and "fit" the culture of OU basketball. In other words, they made the most of the situation. They made Oklahoma basketball nationally relevant, and for the most part, kept it relevant. They had sustained success. They were both very good college basketball coaches.

That period of Oklahoma basketball looks better with each passing season. We may never see anything as good again.

Billy tubs won conference titles and could compete with anyone in the country. Should’ve won a national title.

Sampson teams were tougher than most but usually not the most talented. He was consistent and won 20 games every year and made the tournament. Didn’t have much tourney success other than 2-3 years. Tied for first 1 year in conference and won a few conference tourneys but most years finished a distant 2nd or 3rd.

That appears to be the best OU basketball can ever do. Make the tourney, occasionally make a run to elite 8 or rarely a FF. Never actually win a conference title and never will they sniff a nation title.

It’s been mostly a dumpster fire since Sampson left with a few exceptions. I guess 20 wins and making the tourney is all OU basketball fans can ever expect. Nothing more. We should be able to expect better results than the last 3 seasons. This current product is unacceptable

I agree....but on a side Billy only had 8 teams in conf....top 3 would be top 5 of 12..or so.

maybe 4 of 10?

I think it's also fair to say when Tubbs came to the Big 8, it was not a great basketball conference. At the same time ISU hired Orr, and then KU fired Owens and hired Brown. With those 3 and Stewart at Mizzou and Hartman at KSU, it became a good conference. Tubbs capitalized on some of that (ISU building, Brown building KU back, etc.) with getting Wayman. Once Sutton started at OSU, the Tubbs OU program began to slide into mediocrity.

SoonerTraveler said:
Billy and Kelvin combined to give us an amazing 26 year run. In different ways, they molded and "fit" the culture of OU basketball. In other words, they made the most of the situation. They made Oklahoma basketball nationally relevant, and for the most part, kept it relevant. They had sustained success. They were both very good college basketball coaches.

That period of Oklahoma basketball looks better with each passing season. We may never see anything as good again.

Kelvin came along during the end of the Gibbs era along with the Schnelly and Blake era's. He carried the athletic department and fans went to basketball games in higher numbers with little to root for in the fall. I think you are right, we probably never will see anything as good as that era of OU basketball again. College basketball as a whole is not as good as it was in the 80's and 90's, IMO.

I appreciate Lon turning this program around after Capel, but it's clear it's time for him to go. Could he turn this around if he was given more time? Probably so. He's done it once here already. But the question is why do we give him that opportunity. He's 66 years old. He's been a terrible recruiter, and bad at roster management. He's not a particularly great in-game coach. Go get your coach of the future. Lon is in the twilight of his career, and it's not like he's some OU lifer who deserves to go out on his turn. He got brought in to do a job (turn this ship around), and he did it, and was paid well for it. Now it's time for something new.

Not defending Kruger, necessarily. This year's team should have a better record. But how many programs across America consistently win national titles or make deep runs in the tournament without having at least one lottery pick? The teams that do it year in, year out often have multiple first rounders. You could be justifiably critical of Lon's recruiting, but his teams haven't done that badly considering the quality of the players.

Not defending Kruger, necessarily. This year's team should have a better record. But how many programs across America consistently win national titles or make deep runs in the tournament without having at least one lottery pick? The teams that do it year in, year out often have multiple first rounders. You could be justifiably critical of Lon's recruiting, but his teams haven't done that badly considering the quality of the players.

That he recruited?? Lol

I just checked to see how old Sampson was doing.... They are 21-1 so far this year, lol.

I just checked to see how old Sampson was doing.... They are 21-1 so far this year, lol.

Sampson is a great coach. If he wasn't an idiot, he would have had Indiana back as a national powerhouse and likely would have won a title or two.

Houston is a good team and kelvin can coach. However, they wouldn’t be 21-1 with a big12 schedule.

Sampson is a great coach. If he wasn't an idiot, he would have had Indiana back as a national powerhouse and likely would have won a title or two.

Likely have a title or two? LOL.

Kelvin is a dang good coach but don’t get carried away. He LIKELY gets Indiana 20 wins every year and into the tourney. That’s it.

Kelvin is a dang good coach but don’t get carried away. He LIKELY gets Indiana 20 wins every year and into the tourney. That’s it.

Don't forget that he had just had his best recruiting year by far when he was run off. We lost three of his four recruits as I remember, two of whom ended up in a Final Four as I remember. Might have been nice to have them here.

Indiana was 22-4 and absolutely rolling when Kelvin got fired. He has won big everywhere he's gone, and IU is by far the best program he's ever been a part of.

Back