Missouri Valley Stat Rankings - What can we learn?

thebigabd

Reaction score
For Loyola-Chicago.... 10 teams in the league.

I chose offense, defense, and assists. Feel free to go to their site and look at what you want, but I chose these stats because it is the trend. When he's got a good team, they lead the league in assists and turnovers. When he has a bad team, they don't.

What I see in the stats is that OU is going to play team basketball and rack up a lost of assists and not the turn the ball over very much. And there was only one year in the Missouri Valley when they had a bad defensive ranking. They were in the top 4 every year but one in defense.

2020-2021
#4 in offense, #1 in defense, #1 in assists, #1 in assist/turnover ratio
Conference Finish: #1

2019-2020
#6 in offense... #2 in defense... #3 in assists, #4 in assist/turnover ratio
Conference Finish: #2

2018-2019
#9 in offense.. #1 in defense... #2 in assists... #2 in assist/turnover ratio

2017-2018
#4 in offense.. #2 in defense... #1 in assists... #1 in assist/turnover ratio

2016-2017
#2 in offense... #4 in defense... #2 in assists... #2 in assist/turnover ratio
Conference Finish: #5

2015-2016
#8 in offense... #3 in defense... #7 in assists... #6 in assist/turnover ratio.
Conference Finish: #8

2014-2015
#6 in offense... #3 in defense.. #3 in assists... #4 in assist/turnover ratio.
Conference Finish: #6

2013-2014
#9 in offense... #8 in defense... #4 in assists.. #7 in assist/turnover ratio.
Conference Finish: #10

I tend to agree. But can it happen in year 1. I don’t do down years well.

I think the pieces are there. Is there enough practice time?

Sound fundamentals. Team basketball at its best.

Now, we’re talking!

I have no doubt he'll have us playing good defense and team offense pretty quickly.

The question, and it's always been the question, is will the offense be good enough? Will it by dynamic enough? I believe his team was around 40th last year in offensive efficiency. At some point, he needs better than that at OU. I'm not sure it'll be much better this season though. So hopefully the defense can be top 15ish, and that is what we can hang our hats on this year, until we recruit more offensive firepower. Or maybe some of the guys we have excel offensively this year. There is some potential there, especially from the wings. My biggest question is consistent scoring from the guards, especially the 1 and 2 spots (or 3 if Hill is starting there).

I have no doubt he'll have us playing good defense and team offense pretty quickly.

The question, and it's always been the question, is will the offense be good enough? Will it by dynamic enough? I believe his team was around 40th last year in offensive efficiency. At some point, he needs better than that at OU. I'm not sure it'll be much better this season though. So hopefully the defense can be top 15ish, and that is what we can hang our hats on this year, until we recruit more offensive firepower. Or maybe some of the guys we have excel offensively this year. There is some potential there, especially from the wings. My biggest question is consistent scoring from the guards, especially the 1 and 2 spots (or 3 if Hill is starting there).

I think offense will be better. Obviously more system. How good? Unknown

I think offense will be better. Obviously more system. How good? Unknown

We'll see. More system for sure. Maybe more consistent. I just worry about it bogging down against "good" teams. Ken Pom had OU 35th and Loyola 41st in offense last year. Pretty much the same. The difference was defense. OU was 51st and Loyola was 2nd. I don't expect OU to be a top 5 defense next year, but that seems like the easier place for OU to get better, given our roster. If we can be an offense in the 30-40 range, and a top 15-20 defense, that should be a team we'll all be happy with next year.

That said, a lot is unknown. You are right about that.

For Loyola-Chicago.... 10 teams in the league.

I chose offense, defense, and assists. Feel free to go to their site and look at what you want, but I chose these stats because it is the trend. When he's got a good team, they lead the league in assists and turnovers. When he has a bad team, they don't.

What I see in the stats is that OU is going to play team basketball and rack up a lost of assists and not the turn the ball over very much. And there was only one year in the Missouri Valley when they had a bad defensive ranking. They were in the top 4 every year but one in defense.

2020-2021
#4 in offense, #1 in defense, #1 in assists, #1 in assist/turnover ratio

2019-2020
#6 in offense... #2 in defense... #3 in assists, #4 in assist/turnover ratio

2018-2019
#9 in offense.. #1 in defense... #2 in assists... #2 in assist/turnover ratio

2017-2018
#4 in offense.. #2 in defense... #1 in assists... #1 in assist/turnover ratio

2016-2017
#2 in offense... #4 in defense... #2 in assists... #2 in assist/turnover ratio
Conference Finish: #5

2015-2016
#8 in offense... #3 in defense... #7 in assists... #6 in assist/turnover ratio.
Conference Finish: #8

2014-2015
#6 in offense... #3 in defense.. #3 in assists... #4 in assist/turnover ratio.
Conference Finish: #6

2013-2014
#9 in offense... #8 in defense... #4 in assists.. #7 in assist/turnover ratio.
Conference Finish: #10

Interesting thread and info. Thanks for posting.

Back