My starting lineup would win a few games

buttermaker1

Reaction score
Start TMG, Crock, Davis, Tiny at the 4 and Wright at the 5. Throw in some zone D and own the boards

Since when did a 4 guard line-up really work plus Willie's foot is hurt so he can't pass to a wide open Tiny or get back on transition D.

our zone D sucks

okay no zone but what's wrong with starting 2 post players I mean 99% of basketball teams on every level play 3 guards and 2 post players.

Why are we trying to re-invent the wheel? It doesn't appear to be working

okay no zone but what's wrong with starting 2 post players I mean 99% of basketball teams on every level play 3 guards and 2 post players.

Why are we trying to re-invent the wheel? It doesn't appear to be working

Well I agree with you there. I like two bigs.

The issue with this team and post players first is lack of depth there (only 3 guys that are true post that get PT) and really they can't cover most 4s in this league one on one (I don't trust Tiny and Fitz one on one vs most 4s). I would love for there to be two bigs playing but unfortunately the make up of this team doesn't allow it. This is something that really needs to be addressed in recruiting.

The issue with this team and post players first is lack of depth there (only 3 guys that are true post that get PT) and really they can't cover most 4s in this league one on one (I don't trust Tiny and Fitz one on one vs most 4s). I would love for there to be two bigs playing but unfortunately the make up of this team doesn't allow it. This is something that really needs to be addressed in recruiting.

I disagree we could play 2 big's we just don't and we suck

I think we should press more often and run traps. Try to create turnoverrs.

I think Soonersam is dead on. With our personnel, we don't have the combination of size and lateral quickness to guard good 4's in the league. I think we saw a few instances early in the year of Capel trying to utilize two bigs in the line-up and it just didn't work. Our best option is to have Crock at the 4 and battle with the bigger bodies hoping that his quickness and speed with compensate for his lack of size.

Not to mention that our four guard line up gives us the most experience and offensive production on the court at the same time. Like it or not, it's the best this team can do.

I think we should press more often and run traps. Try to create turnoverrs.

I kind of agree with this. If your defense is already not very good, but also doesn't force a lot of turnovers, then you might as well try to create positive opportunities by being more aggressive. It seems to me (and I'm no expert) that if you're pressing or trapping, you're at least forced to be aggressive. That's the problem with our zone...watch us compared to teams that play a lot of zone and we just look lethargic out there. We don't contest shots and we're slow getting to our place. If we played a zone press and then came back into a half-court trap man defense, it seems like we might get more turnovers at the expense of giving up baskets we probably are giving up in our regular defense.

I kind of agree with this. If your defense is already not very good, but also doesn't force a lot of turnovers, then you might as well try to create positive opportunities by being more aggressive. It seems to me (and I'm no expert) that if you're pressing or trapping, you're at least forced to be aggressive. That's the problem with our zone...watch us compared to teams that play a lot of zone and we just look lethargic out there. We don't contest shots and we're slow getting to our place. If we played a zone press and then came back into a half-court trap man defense, it seems like we might get more turnovers at the expense of giving up baskets we probably are giving up in our regular defense.

Pressing and trapping would be a disaster...when you can't defend in the half court, expanding your defense to the corners and beyond is not a good idea.

We basically have to pack it in and hope they miss jumpers, pressing would be a lay up drill...see secound round Louisville game two years ago.

Back