My thoughts on transfers, coaches, etc

NorthCarolinaSooner

Reaction score
I dont post much but read the board pretty religiously. For those that dont know me, I've coached HS and college basketball for 20 years. My college ball was small college and D3 so I was never in D1 shoes but I know quite a bit of basketball. Not that any of it matters but I preface it so you know my background and that I look at things from a little different perspective than the average fan.

On coaches....I was always afraid of a drop in coaching/recruiting when we made coaching changes. I was never a fan of losing Henson and adding Lon's son and adding the guy from Rice. I just thought that would be a major drop-off. I still think it makes a huge difference. I like Lon and he has done wonders since he took over considering where we were. I think he is more than capable of getting us back where we were a couple of years ago but he needs to stick to his bread and butter. He has been most successful getting transfers, jucos, etc and solid HS kids who arent prima donnas. Ive never been a big fan of the type of bigs Lon pursues for the Big 12. I like Jamuni's progress but those typical 6'9"-6'10" realllly lean 200 lbs guys are better suited for mid-major type schools. Everyone else in the Big 12 seems to get the 6'10" 240-250 athletic high motor guys. They always seem to murder us on the boards in Big 12 play. Jamuni and Lattin are good guys to have when they arent the main guys you have to DEPEND on to be your main threat. Lattin thrived next to other bruisers.

On transfers...I think Shepherd could be an adequate backup but not a full time guy at this point. He'll be successful at a smaller school like UNC Ashville, Western Carolina, etc.

We might need some addition by subtraction but this late we really need grad transfer types in my opinion. Our 2019 recruiting is going well...if we can open up 2 more spots for grad transfers we could be fine. Either way I dont think you'll see a major drop-off next year with a decent PG. I don't think we'll be much worse and probably more team oriented.

Anyway...just one guys worthless opinion. Sorry for any typos i did this from my phone.

The Big 12 has a lot of good bigs, or did this year. Only Azubuike can be described as a 6'10", 250 lb athletic guy. Kanate, at 6'8" is close and we can throw him in that category as well. Those guys are really hard to find which is why there are only 2 in the best conference in America. Baylor, Texas, & KSU all have good bigs that are are taller, shot-blocking, or perimeter style players. Dean Wade is a lot more like Manek than Azubuike.

Do Duke, N. Carolina, or Virginia have any? Nope. Villanova or Xavier? Nope. Michigan St has 1. Michigan? Nope. Mo Wagner is more like Wade and Manek than any big inside post-up player. I'm not saying we should turn down a guy like Azubuike if he wants to come to OU, but we shouldn't take a worse version of that guy just to have a "big body who takes up space in the interior." That's not how the game is played any more. Is there even 1 person on this board who thinks this season could've turned put differently if only Polla had gotten more minutes?

Those tall, athletic guys can block shots and protect the rim on the defensive end and can usually be used on the pick-&-roll on offense. They can jump and get offensive boards. High value shots come from the 3 point line and the rim. If a team can defend the 3 point line and have a rim protector inside, they've got the makings of a good defense.

Jamuni has gained a lot of weight. Has to be 230 ish. Doolittle looks 240.

Jamuni has gained a lot of weight. Has to be 230 ish. Doolittle looks 240.

I said I like Jamuni's improvement....

Id add Solomon Young and Cameron Lard to those athletic big types. Ill take a 6'8" 230-240 high motor type any day.

I stand by the statement of Jamuni and Lattin are simply more effective as a second option with another bruiser....you had Spangler and Lattin was more effective.

Maybe we dont need a different center....maybe we need a high motor bruising 4 instead? Either way we need some more help....

To be honest our defense is way worse than our offense. I hate "switch everything" defense.

The Big 12 has a lot of good bigs, or did this year. Only Azubuike can be described as a 6'10", 250 lb athletic guy. Kanate, at 6'8" is close and we can throw him in that category as well. Those guys are really hard to find which is why there are only 2 in the best conference in America. Baylor, Texas, & KSU all have good bigs that are are taller, shot-blocking, or perimeter style players. Dean Wade is a lot more like Manek than Azubuike.

Do Duke, N. Carolina, or Virginia have any? Nope. Villanova or Xavier? Nope. Michigan St has 1. Michigan? Nope. Mo Wagner is more like Wade and Manek than any big inside post-up player. I'm not saying we should turn down a guy like Azubuike if he wants to come to OU, but we shouldn't take a worse version of that guy just to have a "big body who takes up space in the interior." That's not how the game is played any more. Is there even 1 person on this board who thinks this season could've turned put differently if only Polla had gotten more minutes?

Those tall, athletic guys can block shots and protect the rim on the defensive end and can usually be used on the pick-&-roll on offense. They can jump and get offensive boards. High value shots come from the 3 point line and the rim. If a team can defend the 3 point line and have a rim protector inside, they've got the makings of a good defense.

Duke? Really?
Bagley 6'11" 230 averaged almost 15 rpg
Wendel Carter 6'10" 250 averaged 10 ppg and almost 10 rpg

UNC had 4 guys 6'9"-6'10" and Luke Maye at 6'8" 240

Xavier - Kerem Kanter

Virginia has 6'9" and 7'1"

Just a quick rundown.

Even Pittsburgh had 6'9" that averaged 12 and 12...who is a grad transfer by the way.

We badly need a grad transfer point guard and if he is B12 good, going back to the dance is very possible. After that I think some may want but really not need more turnover.

I dont post much but read the board pretty religiously. For those that dont know me, I've coached HS and college basketball for 20 years. My college ball was small college and D3 so I was never in D1 shoes but I know quite a bit of basketball. Not that any of it matters but I preface it so you know my background and that I look at things from a little different perspective than the average fan.

On coaches....I was always afraid of a drop in coaching/recruiting when we made coaching changes. I was never a fan of losing Henson and adding Lon's son and adding the guy from Rice. I just thought that would be a major drop-off. I still think it makes a huge difference. I like Lon and he has done wonders since he took over considering where we were. I think he is more than capable of getting us back where we were a couple of years ago but he needs to stick to his bread and butter. He has been most successful getting transfers, jucos, etc and solid HS kids who arent prima donnas. Ive never been a big fan of the type of bigs Lon pursues for the Big 12. I like Jamuni's progress but those typical 6'9"-6'10" realllly lean 200 lbs guys are better suited for mid-major type schools. Everyone else in the Big 12 seems to get the 6'10" 240-250 athletic high motor guys. They always seem to murder us on the boards in Big 12 play. Jamuni and Lattin are good guys to have when they arent the main guys you have to DEPEND on to be your main threat. Lattin thrived next to other bruisers.

On transfers...I think Shepherd could be an adequate backup but not a full time guy at this point. He'll be successful at a smaller school like UNC Ashville, Western Carolina, etc.

We might need some addition by subtraction but this late we really need grad transfer types in my opinion. Our 2019 recruiting is going well...if we can open up 2 more spots for grad transfers we could be fine. Either way I dont think you'll see a major drop-off next year with a decent PG. I don't think we'll be much worse and probably more team oriented.

Anyway...just one guys worthless opinion. Sorry for any typos i did this from my phone.

Spot on analysis, NCSooner! My thoughts exactly on the coaching changes and the recruiting decisions we have seen in the past two years. There have been too many head scratchers to suit me.

I said I like Jamuni's improvement....

Id add Solomon Young and Cameron Lard to those athletic big types. Ill take a 6'8" 230-240 high motor type any day.

I stand by the statement of Jamuni and Lattin are simply more effective as a second option with another bruiser....you had Spangler and Lattin was more effective.

Maybe we dont need a different center....maybe we need a high motor bruising 4 instead? Either way we need some more help....

To be honest our defense is way worse than our offense. I hate "switch everything" defense.

I completely agree with you. I’ve always thought our guys would be good complimentary pieces, but when they’re the primary option down low, we’re short handed.

Whatever happens this year, I'm hoping we have 4-5 spots open for the following year. This team needs a hard reset, similar to when Lon first got here. I'd really like a group of 3 wings, similar to Buddy, Cousins, Hornbeak to supplement Harmon. I don't think too many players of that caliber are available, so shipping out Lazenby to bring in a guy like Shepherd wouldn't be wise.

Nice analysis. We do need some strength and toughness down low. Khadeem not improving was a real problem. His hands seemed to get worse every year. Jamuni will never be a dominant offensive player but he is a great talent to have on the floor. Hopefully he will continue to mature and get more physical. Unfortunately he is an extremely happy and nice guy.

Hopefully we can get a couple of grad transfers in this year. They are desperate for a point but I'd take another combo guard also especially if McGusty leaves.

On coaching: Nepotism sucks. Hopefully Joe C has learned a lesson that he should have known going in: don't let your head coaches give jobs to their family and close personal friends. Not because those guys can't be good coaches, but because if they aren't, you're in big trouble.

As far as big men go: I think Lattin fits your descritpion of athletic skinny guy. McNease has every tool that you need. I think Lattin's biggest problem, and this is on the coaches, was his continuing to try to shoot the basketball, despite being one of the worst shooters imaginable. Dude would have been a quality player if he just played defense and finished lobs. Instead, he shot multiple shots per game that were essentially turnovers.

Last edited:
Nice analysis. We do need some strength and toughness down low. Khadeem not improving was a real problem. His hands seemed to get worse every year. Jamuni will never be a dominant offensive player but he is a great talent to have on the floor. Hopefully he will continue to mature and get more physical. Unfortunately he is an extremely happy and nice guy.

Hopefully we can get a couple of grad transfers in this year. They are desperate for a point but I'd take another combo guard also especially if McGusty leaves.

Uh-oh. Is this a possibility?

That would be our worst nightmare.

Cool M thinks Polla would have made a difference in wins.

Uh-oh. Is this a possibility?

That would be our worst nightmare.

He was the main one I thought would transfer. Hopefully he rededicates himself, stays on, and gets on board.

Duke? Really?
Bagley 6'11" 230 averaged almost 15 rpg
Wendel Carter 6'10" 250 averaged 10 ppg and almost 10 rpg

UNC had 4 guys 6'9"-6'10" and Luke Maye at 6'8" 240

Xavier - Kerem Kanter

Virginia has 6'9" and 7'1"

Just a quick rundown.

Even Pittsburgh had 6'9" that averaged 12 and 12...who is a grad transfer by the way.

All those guys you're talking about are either the top high school guys in the country (or were) or are more like our bigs (athletic, shot-blocking, not low post-up guys) than Azubuike is.

All those guys you're talking about are either the top high school guys in the country (or were) or are more like our bigs (athletic, shot-blocking, not low post-up guys) than Azubuike is.

If it makes you feel better/right then yea....lets not look for bigs. You gave me examples of schools and I gave you examples of pkayerz you said they don't have.

Not all those were top 40 guys coming out.

There have plenty of bad coaches at OU and everywhere else that didn’t involve nepotism!

Back