NCAA Tournament - Thursday Game Thread

WTSooner

Reaction score
A lot of exciting games today. Should be a lot of close, hard-fought games.

I like this ORU team, but Duke was a terrible draw for them.
Colgate could stick with Texas for a while if they are making shots.

Three 8/9 games and three 7/10 games today. That scheduling seems odd. Most of the 5/12 games are on Friday. I expect those 8/9 games to be pretty good, though I do think Arkansas should handle Illinois.

Charleston over SDS is the only big upset I picked regularly in my brackets from today's games. Tennessee is known to choke though and I don't think UVA is certain to win either.

Gut feeling, when it's all said and done and the tourney is over, Big 12 isn't going to have the results you would expect from the "top conference."

KU is ripe to be upset. I'm guessing one of TCU or ISU lose in round one. KSU may not make it out of the 1st weekend.

Gut feeling, when it's all said and done and the tourney is over, Big 12 isn't going to have the results you would expect from the "top conference."

KU is ripe to be upset. I'm guessing one of TCU or ISU lose in round one. KSU may not make it out of the 1st weekend.

Doesn’t matter, big12 has already proved it’s the best.

WTF UVA? Haha

A veteran PG throws that pass? Tragic.

This is March.

WVU and UVA absolutely terrible decisions down the stretch. Two good coaches, and yet their teams just make huge mental mistakes down the stretch.

Had Furman in a few brackets! To the Sweet 16 in one. UVA has been shaky all season.

just feel terrible for clark. but damn, man. pulling a michael ruffin.

Last edited:
Exactly. There's a reason for advanced stats.

Advanced stats have nothing to do with it. Big 12 did what it needed back in November. March is nut cuttin time though. What teams do NOW is what matters. They don't crown champions in November. They don't judge teams based on games played 3-4 months ago. That is silly.

Advanced stats have nothing to do with it. Big 12 did what it needed back in November. March is nut cuttin time though. What teams do NOW is what matters. They don't crown champions in November. They don't judge teams based on games played 3-4 months ago. That is silly.

The conference is historically good. I'm not a believer in one-game sample sizes in a tournament setting.....and that somehow determining whether a team/conference is great or not great. Just about anything can happen in a one-game scenario. If UVA (who just choked) played Furman three more times, they would very likely win all three.

IMO, looking at the season is a better overall indicator of how good a team is, but again, what you've done in the season means nothing when it comes to a post-season single elimination tournament.

The conference is historically good. I'm not a believer in one-game sample sizes in a tournament setting.....and that somehow determining whether a team/conference is great or not great. Just about anything can happen in a one-game scenario. If UVA (who just choked) played Furman three more times, they would very likely win all three.

IMO, looking at the season is a better overall indicator of how good a team is, but again, what you've done in the season means nothing when it comes to a post-season single elimination tournament.

There is fault in that too though. Conferences are different sizes. Conferences play different schedules. Conference teams play different OOC schedules. Home vs away. What is largely pushing the Big 12 to the top is not having some bad teams as the 13th or 14th teams in the conference. That does NOT, 100% does NOT mean that the top 5 teams, or 7 teams, or choose your number, are better than the top x number of teams from another conference.

That's all I'm saying. This "argument" isn't argued consistently.

Love watching teams like Utah State. Mizzou is just athletic enough that they are making it tough on them to get shots.

If UVA (who just choked) played Furman three more times, they would very likely win all three.

I'm pretty sure that is not likely. Unless I'm mistaken, the point spread for that game was UVA -2. That is pretty much a toss up.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/MarchMadnessMBB/status/1636443994254131205[/TWEET]

There is fault in that too though. Conferences are different sizes. Conferences play different schedules. Conference teams play different OOC schedules. Home vs away. What is largely pushing the Big 12 to the top is not having some bad teams as the 13th or 14th teams in the conference. That does NOT, 100% does NOT mean that the top 5 teams, or 7 teams, or choose your number, are better than the top x number of teams from another conference.

That's all I'm saying. This "argument" isn't argued consistently.

And our teams play and beat tough opponents; that’s why the league is far and away the best. Your argument is just wrong. If you average out the ratings of the top 5 or 7 teams in each league, to use your numbers, the Big 12 is head and shoulders better than any other league. We have four of the top 12 seeds. No one else has more than two of the top 12. It’s so odd that you spend so much time arguing against the Big 12.

As to your take that only March matter … do you apply this to Kelvin? After all, he lost a lot of tournament games at OU to lower seeded teams.

KU is going to win this game handily, but their defense today leaves a lot to be desired. They need Self back....at a minimum for the motivation and ass-chewings he provides when needed. KU is making a living in transition so I guess they feel like they don't have to play defense.

Back