New ARENA as part of entertainment District

Or they vote for stuff that is useless or that you don't like.
I've covered elections for media for over 30 years. People who are against things always vote. People who may think it's a good idea may or may not vote. I'm not debating whether this is a good idea or not, just saying what people traditionally do in Yea or Nay elections.

I've covered elections for media for over 30 years. People who are against things always vote. People who may think it's a good idea may or may not vote. I'm not debating whether this is a good idea or not, just saying what people traditionally do in Yea or Nay elections.
I don't blame them because most of the time government has proven to be stupid with money. It's usually not something people can actually control so voting against spending is easier.

This whole thread reminds me of Charlie Brown trying to kick the football. I would suggest that no one spend a single second thinking about a new arena until long after shovels are in the ground.

This is a passing of the buck. The entire reason for the Council vote was because the Council actually HAD the votes. Now they do not, so they'll shuffle this thing off to the citizens of Norman who WILL vote it down. Then the Council's hands are clean. Wash, rinse, repeat.
Don't sell short the north side of Indian Hills Road. The City of Moore is open for business. It'll be a disaster for OU Basketball, but I could see the arena being built literally across the street from Norman's city limits.

I seriously question the feasibility of moving north at all with okc already with the ball in motion for the new downtown arena. Beyond sports, they'll be competing for the same entertainment to come to the arenas.

And ODOT is about to buy all the land down Indian Hills Rd, both sides of I35.

Also don't see OU getting behind something in another town, unless it's just leverage purposes. Doesn't make sense for OUs own interest.

Just my $0.02.

Still think there should be a way to make it happen ON CAMPUS. What kind of dollars are needed to either gut LNC or tear it down and build brand new? SEC dollars won't help with this, even if it takes a few years to accumulate the dollars? Eff it, sell the naming rights for a large donation. Maybe Moser, his staff, and the players should do car washes every weekend, since they obviously don't seem to be improving as basketball players from the practice. Substitute practice for fund raisers. Kidding. Kind of.

Still think there should be a way to make it happen ON CAMPUS. What kind of dollars are needed to either gut LNC or tear it down and build brand new? SEC dollars won't help with this, even if it takes a few years to accumulate the dollars? Eff it, sell the naming rights for a large donation. Maybe Moser, his staff, and the players should do car washes every weekend, since they obviously don't seem to be improving as basketball players from the practice. Substitute practice for fund raisers. Kidding. Kind of.
If an on campus thing were doable they would have already had plans. It would probably have to be to tear down McClasland and put something there from scratch or something like that. `Not sure where else on campus they could do it. They are planning on converting so much around the stadium into tailgating areas for football so I don't think there are many options on campus.

If an on campus thing were doable they would have already had plans. It would probably have to be to tear down McClasland and put something there from scratch or something like that. `Not sure where else on campus they could do it. They are planning on converting so much around the stadium into tailgating areas for football so I don't think there are many options on campus.
There is nothing keeping them from tearing down/redoing LNC except dollars. I know there have been talks about the water-table, etc, but all that does is restrict exactly what can be built, not them from putting something new/different there in general.

I agree, there probably isn't anywhere else on campus that makes sense. And that is fine. Nothing wrong with that location. The money is the hold up. And there are a lot of sports fighting for that money. Football still needs to finish some stadium stuff when the money is there. And now we have revenue sharing/in-house NIL.

I know I'm in the minority, but I think our arena is one of the least impactful things affecting the success of our team currently. I honestly mean that. So I'm kind of "meh" on the entire deal. A new arena would be cool. A new HC/culture would be "cooler."

I seriously question the feasibility of moving north at all with okc already with the ball in motion for the new downtown arena. Beyond sports, they'll be competing for the same entertainment to come to the arenas.

And ODOT is about to buy all the land down Indian Hills Rd, both sides of I35.

Also don't see OU getting behind something in another town, unless it's just leverage purposes. Doesn't make sense for OUs own interest.

Just my $0.02.
If OU is OK with building in North Norman, they will be OK with south Moore.

Selfishly, the further north the build it, the more I am in favor

There are plans for every conceivable outcome as to building this thing on campus. If somebody came along and fronted a couple hundred million to get the project rolling the construction would begin tomorrow. OU has no interest in paying for it. None.
If I had a few billion to throw around I'd make the fieldhouse a 6,000 seat jewel.

What you aren't getting is that OU doesn't have the money to build a new arena. They are using others money to build it. They are not as wealthy as most like to think they are.

So without public help, OU will lilely never get a new arena. No one will donate to that project over NIL or something football-related.

If OU is OK with building in North Norman, they will be OK with south Moore.

Selfishly, the further north the build it, the more I am in favor
One is in the City of Norman one is not. It's another city they have to deal with. Another council. Different people. Different funding streams. OU isn't paying for this. That's why people in Norman are pushing back.

I can't say for fact that OU is OK with that, neither can you. Right now, OU has zero athletic facilities outside of Norman. So it would be a jump.

One is in the City of Norman one is not. It's another city they have to deal with. Another council. Different people. Different funding streams. OU isn't paying for this. That's why people in Norman are pushing back.

I can't say for fact that OU is OK with that, neither can you. Right now, OU has zero athletic facilities outside of Norman. So it would be a jump.
the city of norman is not really paying for it either .. that is the beauty of TIF >..

this poll is so dumb .... and an actual waste of tax dollars ..

the council should just vote up or down .. and stop wasting everyone's time ..

I have been told that OU is not happy about this .. and the door to other possibilities (see moore) is open now ..

the city of norman is not really paying for it either .. that is the beauty of TIF >..

this poll is so dumb .... and an actual waste of tax dollars ..

the council should just vote up or down .. and stop wasting everyone's time ..

I have been told that OU is not happy about this .. and the door to other possibilities (see moore) is open now ..
Agreed on wasting time and money.

Of course OU isn't happy. It's not playing out how they wanted so far. And someone's paying for it. It isn't all donations.

Very skeptical of Moore having any real traction. I might be ignorant on it. Guess we will see. Just speculation on our part right now.

Last edited:

Meh. If Moore sees the opportunity for investment and the revenue it could bring in, they would jump on it

Back